Automatically rename all documents

Right now, Scrivener will automatically name untitled documents for you every time it saves. (Under Options>General>Saving in current Windows version [1.9.16.0].)

I would love to have an additional option to automatically rename all documents, including ones that already have titles, the same way. So all section titles throughout the project would match the first line of text in the respective section, and every time I changed the first line in a section, Scrivener would automatically update the section’s title to match.

You can basically get this result right now using the “Set Selected Text as Title” command. But it would be nice to have the option to automate the process.

This will be addressed in a twofold manner in 3.0. For the most part, if you mainly just want items to be identified by a bit of the text they start with (as the auto-rename feature does), then you would simply leave these items without any title at all. When doing so, the software will print a bit of the main text (or the synopsis card) wherever it displays the item in a list. This updates dynamically as you write and edit the main text—and so there is no need to have it auto-save or to have to run commands to update the titles after an editing session.

But for those that do want to permanently set the title to the starting text, there will be a bulk command you can run on a selection of items.

Awesome! That sounds just about perfect (well, for my workflow). Can’t wait to see Scriv 3.