Where are my old templates? And can I update them to work with Scrivener 3?

I put considerable effort into creating custom project templates in Scrivener 2. I’ve upgraded to Scriv 3 and I can’t find those templates on my mac. Help!

Did you buy either Scrivener 2 or Scrivener 3 from the Mac App Store by any chance? If so, because of the way the Mac App Store’s sandboxing partitions things, Scrivener 3 will not be able to see Scrivener 2’s project templates. However, if you bought both from our own store, Scrivener 2’s project templates should still show up.

If you bought Scrivener 2 from our store, the templates will be at this location:

~/Library/Application Support/Scrivener/ProjectTemplates

If you purchased it from the Mac App Store, they will be here:

~/Library/Containers/com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2/Data/Library/Application Support/Project Templates

(You can access the ~/Library folder by holding down Option/Alt when opening the “Go” menu in the Finder - this makes the “Library” item visible, which is normally hidden.)

You can then copy the templates to a different location temporarily, and then use the “Options” button in the project templates chooser in Scrivener 3 to access the “Import Templates…” option, and choose the files you placed in the temporary location to import them.

All the best,
Keith

I followed the instructions for importing a template, but it isn’t visible on my list of templates. I try to import it again and it asks if I want to update it. am I missing something?