Current: Beta - Release Candidate 11, version 220.127.116.11
Latest Beta - Release Candidate 11 Download Link
18.104.22.168 (64-bit) | 22.214.171.124 (32-bit)
(The 32-bit version installs by default to C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener on administrator accounts; the 64-bit version installs to C:\Program Files\Scrivener. Please be sure to uninstall previous betas before installing this Beta. If you wish, your program preferences can be saved first via the "Manage..." button in File > Options, then reloaded after the fresh installation. Bear in mind that changes between betas may affect restoring settings, and if you are experiencing oddities, please try resetting to the defaults.)
New interim betas will be posted here; please check Help > About Scrivener to ensure you are using the most recent version. You can subscribe to this topic to get notifications when new betas are released.
You can also use Help > Check for Updates in beta releases to download the latest beta.
System Requirements and Compatibility
- Scrivener 3 requires Windows 7 or above with .NET v4.6.2 or higher.
- Scrivener 3's file format has been updated and is not backwards-compatible with Scrivener 1 (or Scrivener 2 on macOS). When you open a Scrivener 1 project in Scrivener 3, you will be prompted to update the project, after which you will not be able to open it in Scrivener 1 (although a backup will be made before the update).
Installing 1.9.9 and 3.0 Beta Side by Side
It is possible to have both 1.9.9 and the Scrivener 3.0 beta installed simultaneously, but you will need to choose a different location during the installation process (e.g. change the default "Scrivener" folder name to "Scrivener3"). We suggest also changing the name of 1.9.9 shortcuts before installing Scrivener 3 to prevent the new installation overwriting them.
Please note that at this time, only the most recently installed Scrivener version will appear in the Windows Programs list, and double-clicking a project file will attempt to open it in that version. You can instead drag the project file icon onto the appropriate app icon for the version you want or use File > Open... within Scrivener to access the project.
Fixes and Resolved Items
- Syncing with an iOS project might sync into a blank file 
- Compile - Text Layout - body width limiter setting is nonfunctional 
- Cannot Rearrange External Bookmarks 
- Fix menu display in all themes 
- Custom Compile Format Separators - Non Functional 
- Implement Markdown list conversion in compile 
- Compile - Styles - Ignored for first subtitle in Section Layouts 
- Markdown output converts bold and italics 
- Implement Compile - Footnotes - format numbering settings 
- Some methods of exporting inspector footnotes fail 
- Implement Statistics compile format pane functionality 
- Editing a Compile Format for FDX/Fountain nukes all section layouts.md 
- Conversion to inline footnotes should clean up marker style footnotes 
- Whole Word treated as Contains in replacements 
- Missing Web Shortcut in Project Bookmarks crashes Scrivener 
- Context menu when folder selected does not display "Default Subdocument Type" 
- Main editor current line highlight also applying to composition mode 
- Print and Compile for Print Margin Issues 
- Text and images split across pages in PDF compile 
- Layout Manager settings are not restored 
- Control placing HTML Clipboard data via Options 
- Alternate footnote marker method is not functional 
- Compile - HTML Elements Caption style not applying 
- Win3 Theme revision mode shortcuts interfere with Alt+ codes 
- Autonumbering incorrect when compiling portion of Draft 
- Export settings tab add: Convert underscores to underlines when converting Markdown 
- Implement <$ScrKeepWithNextSplittable> RTF keyword. 
- Invisibles do not display properly in Scrivenings mode 
- CSS Ebook - the settings that flatten first line indents aren’t currently working 
- Scrivenings with Titles will not render the text properly. 
- Cancel load Scrivenings session (reimplementation of Scrivenings) 
- Implement 'Aeon Timeline 3' integration hooks 
- Retain style information when exporting/syncing/importing 
- Active vertical scrollbar adds padding to editor 
- Copy/Paste of large web page images are cut off 
- Exporting files with '.' in the title will remove the text after the '.' 
- Implement missing Mac-like shortcuts and behaviours for inspector navigation 
- Autocomplete suggestions obscure typing 
- Add missing LaTeX support files in stock compile folder output 
- Add missing Add/Remove icons in the Personal Word List editor window 
- Binder icons display as empty when doc contains only an image 
- Implement Settings: Appearance: General Interface - collection background darkness slider like Mac 
- Markdown output without RTF conversion flag converts bold and italics 
- Added new MellowYellow High Contrast theme for visually impaired
- Merged Cells in Table Causes Crash 
- Incorrect display of effective type shown when "Structured Base" selected 
- Read/Write NonBreakingHyphen from RTF files 
- Smart quotes incorrect after punctuation 
If you would like to try a HiDPI version of RC10 you can download it here: 126.96.36.199 (64-bit HiDPI) | 188.8.131.52 (32-bit HiDPI). The HiDPI version is the same Scrivener code, but compiled with the latest Qt 5.15 C++ framework that is supposed to better address Microsoft Windows scaling.
Beta Release Candidate 11 expires 2nd Dec 2020.
A Note on Suggestions
To help resolve remaining bugs, we'd appreciate keeping the beta forum posts dedicated to bug reports or questions on working with the beta. Suggestions for the interface or functionality should instead be posted in Scrivener's general wishlist forum, since most of these affect the design for both Windows and macOS. Thank you!
Lee & Tiho
Oct 14th 2020