multiple footnotes on the same text

Is it possible to add multiple footnotes (1, 2, 3 … ) to the same text? I have multiple sources I am using for a given fact I would like to include.

Hi, the1gofer, and welcome to the forum!

In Scrivener each footnote requires a unique anchor, so I’m afraid that linking to the same text is not possible. However, there’s a function implemented that will produce equivalent results on the compiled output. I suggest you to take a look at the 18.2.3 Linked Footnotes section of the latest Mac manual (page 251). An excerpt follows:

This way each footnote will have its own anchor.

Hope this helps!

Would that mean I have to manually number all of the references?

Of course not, don’t worry. Read through the whole section in the manual. I just quoted a small excerpt.

Thanks for your help! I’ll give it a shot later today.

I’m sticking my nose in where I lack a lot of expertise (I haven’t needed footnotes in any of my writing since college, which was cough years ago), but I just experimented with this feature on a lark, and thought I’d share my findings…

If you add these kinds of footnote anchors, you get an automatically numbered footnote in your compiled output. If you run two such anchors together (no spaces or characters between the anchors), they are merged into the same footnote. If you put any other characters between each of these footnotes (such as a super-scripted comma or just a space), then they come out as individual, automatically numbered footnotes.

Maybe im dence, but after reading it, I don’t see how to actually do it …

never mind, i can read! :smiley: