Pretty fonts

If you haven’t figured this out…

corefonts via winetricks will give you all the fonts that don’t come with wine that are used by Scrivener (like courier)

fontsmooth will make them look prettier.

And if you have a ttf font you like, you can install it in .wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts.

Didn’t know about fontsmooth – thanks for that tip. Does it automatically configure itself and turn itself on after wientricks installs it, or is there something extra that needs to be done?

Nope, looks like it’s just a wine registry thing.

Also…if you install the power point viewer, you can get some decent fonts, too. (They’re usable, so long as you don’t use them in a commercial setting.) Found that one here: oooninja.com/2008/01/calibri … nload.html

winetricks corefonts are the same from ttf-mscorefonts-installer. To be sincere, I never liked MS fonts. And I still haven’t found a decent looking font for my needs. In scrivener I use Bohemian typewriter font. It would have been perfect if it knew ă, ș, ț…

Yeah, I know what you mean. I could spend all day looking for fonts. I really like New Century schoolbook, but I don’t know enough to convert it to ttf (which wine uses.)

There is fontforge - “Besides being a font editor, FontForge is also a font format converter, and can convert among PostScript (ASCII & binary Type 1, some Type 3s, some Type 0s), TrueType, and OpenType (Type2), CID-keyed, SVG, CFF and multiple-master fonts.”

It has very few dependencies, and if your font is recognize, you should try it :wink:

Yeah I installed it. It’s learning how to use it. Did you know you can procrastinate all day learning about different fonts? :wink:

vromans.org/johan/OOo/oofonts03.html Just found that. Can’t argue with a 2-line shell script. :wink:

Thanks for sharing this script! I had for a long time some .pfb fonts, but never tried to convert those to .ttf. Let see how this works out:)

Who the hell would want to? :confused:
vic

I would.

Heh. Have you seen some of the crazy scripts out there? Although clever isn’t always the easiest thing to maintain…

I am notorious for script obscenities. One of my favorites is an rsync wrapper that self determines it’s config file based on the link used to invoke it. That was the clear part. It does some date manipulation and some log file munging before creating an in memory mail object that gets tossed directly to an smtp server. I see it as a thing of beauty. Others see it as proof that you can do just about anything using nothing more than ksh and sed. The boss’ see it as “employment insurance”.

Either way some of us older-school guys remember needing to strip newlines to keep memory consumption low. Those were the days…

and for the record, I was not actually arguing. I was just answering the question. Who would? I would.

I am notorious for script obscenities. One of my favorites is an rsync wrapper that self determines it’s config file based on the link used to invoke it. That was the clear part. It does some date manipulation and some log file munging before creating an in memory mail object that gets tossed directly to an smtp server. I see it as a thing of beauty. Others see it as proof that you can do just about anything using nothing more than ksh and sed. The boss’ see it as “employment insurance”.

Heh nice. I guess I don’t mind “clever” so much as “dear God this makes my eyes bleed to read because the person wouldn’t know what a comment was, if it hit him/her upside the head.”

One of my favorite tricks is not using sed or awk for some simple variable whacking

VAR = "some long text"
FIRST = ${VAR# }
LAST = ${VAR% }
MID = ${{VAR# }% }

Many accuse me of feeling that no one should miss the daily eye bleed.