Eagerly Awaiting Scrivener for Windows

Dear me, I cannot believe it took me so long to find Scrivener – though some of my Mac friends have mentioned it and one even recommended I get a Mac just for Scrivener purposes.

OK, I publish small stuff from time to time and cannot afford a Mac (though it’s on my long-range wish list), so here I am a longtime Windows guy eagerly awaiting Scrivener for Windows.

Any firm or “firmish” time frame for releasing it yet?? I’m new to the forums here and have looked around a bit and the newest info I can find is November 2010, so I had to ask. :unamused:

When, O When will I be able to plunk down my $40 and get Scrivener for Windows? (I’m downloading the latest 5.5 beta to install and tear into it even as I keyboard.)

Thanks, all.

Gary

We are still shooting for early this year, and so far the roadmap to this is looking good.

Enjoy the beta! If you haven’t found it already, you’ll find a posting of all the known issues and other useful bulletins as sticky threads in the Bug Hunt sub-forum.

Thanks, Amber, for your response. It made me think of a question I should have asked: If I create material using the beta, will that be compatible with the release version? I assume that’s true, but I don’t want to write then lose the Great American Novel when I buy and install the release version. :laughing:

Gary

That’s a good question, Gary. I lost work moving from one Beta to the next, so I’m exporting everything between betas just in case.

I just assume that this will happen, so I am exporting after each work session…

Let’s just say dome a few of these, not scriv though.

The format itself will not be changing between releases, if that is what you are asking. The project format has been designed and refined over the course of two and a half years, it isn’t going anywhere :wink: and especially not suddenly just because the final version is out.

Of course, whenever upgrading you should back up your work, and that is only doubly more so the case when upgrading between beta builds.

Yes indeed, I hear that. (Well, actually, I read that; it’s a forum. :laughing: ) I’ll bet our online lives – okay, maybe it’s just me?? – are filled with woeful tales from failing to maintain good backups.

And I should have assumed the file formats would remain essentially the same. Thanks.

Gary

I’ve been using the Scrivener for Windows beta now since NaNoWriMo, and I have to say that I love it! It makes organization so much easier, breaking the work down into more manageable pieces has been the biggest draw for me.

I am so looking forward to the release of the full program!

I also wanted to add that I’ve been backing up my work, not only on a flash drive, but also in another word processing program, just for safekeeping. I haven’t had any problems with importing from one beta version to the next for Scrivener, so I can’t imagine that it’ll be that much different when the full release comes out, but crossing fingers, eyes and toes I back it up anyway.

Thank you so much for partnering with NaNoWriMo - that’s how I found out about Scrivener, and after my win, I was so excited to hear about the beta benefits! It’s been great, and honestly, it’s made the whole writing process a breeze and a joy! :smiley:

Question: Will there be a new beta released on Jan. 31? I’m deathly afraid I won’t be able to use it after the 31st.

I’m assuming…that’s what they did for the Dec. 15 one. :slight_smile: