Font Override in Compile to PDF

Hi there,

I’m loving the new Scrivener but it’s taking a little time to get up to speed with all the new stuff.
In Compile, I’d like to be able to create a PDF but override the font I’ve been using with something else. I can’t see how that is done.
Could anyone advise me?

Kind Regards

Hi Jason,

In the Compile settings, be sure you have it expanded to show all the options. Ensure that none of the documents in the “content” pane are marked to “compile as-is,” then go to the “formatting” pane and check the box at the top to override text and notes. You can use the option button there to refine what gets overridden (“font only” is an option, for example, which would allow you to preserve any specific paragraph formatting you did, etc.) and then set up the sample text to be what you want. You’ll have to set the text for each document type (and each level, if you have more than just the 1+); and easy way to do this, if you want the settings the same for each, is to set one to your preferences, then select that file’s row (so e.g. you’d select the folder Level 1+ row), hit cmd-c, then go to the next row and hit cmd-v to paste all the formatting there. Repeat for all the rows you want to match.

Just note the copy/paste copies all the formatting, so if you’re making other formatting distinctions between the document types and levels, you’re better off just going to each one and setting the font. (The font dialogue box can stay open as you switch among the types, so it’s not that huge a deal.)

Thanks for replying so quickly. I think I can follow this but where do I actually get to choose the font I want to override?

Edit*** Okay, sorry I found that. What are all these different levels that show up? I have a folder entitled "Level 1+ and then two documents beneath that which also say the same thing?

Kind Regards

There are three types of document files that can be in your manuscript: folders, document groups, and single documents. Folders have that blue folder icon–that’s the top row in your compile formatting pane. Document groups (documents with subdocuments) have an icon that looks like a stack of two papers. That’s your second row here. And single documents (docs with no subdocuments) just look like a single piece of paper; that’s your third row.

compileformattypes.png

What you’re doing here is defining how each type of document should be formatted. The “Level 1+” refers to where in the binder hierarchy the document exists. So for example, if your binder looks like this:

binder hierarchy.png

When you choose to compile “Draft,” the compiler will consider both your folders as being at Level 1; Documents a and b and DocGroup c are Level 2 (they’re children of a Level 1 folder; visually you can see the indenting in the binder or in the Content pane of the compiler) and Document d is Level 3 (a child of a Level 2 document group). In some cases, you might want to format a file at Level 1 differently from the same file type at Level 3, for instance, so in the compile formatting pane you have the option to specify this. Next to the “option” button at the top of the pane you’ll see a little square button showing a + and a couple lines (marked with the blue square in the first image above)–that’s the “add another formatting level” button. If you have the folder Level 1+ selected and click the button, it will change the first folder to simply “Level 1” and add a new row for folder Level 2+. The plus sign indicates that the formatting you set for that row will apply to all folders at Level 2 on up (up numerically, although technically you’re going deeper into sublevels, so I really want to say “down” there but I thought it’d be even more confusing). So all Level 3 folders, Level 4 folders, Level 5 folders, etc. would take the same formatting that you set for Level 2.

So. You probably don’t really care about all that if what you want to do is just give your compiled project the same font everywhere. In your case, if you have only three rows, all Level 1+, then you’re just setting the formatting for each document type and that formatting will be applied to that type for every level. If you’re not even compiling anything in a specific type, you don’t have to worry about setting it, although just doing the copy/paste with the formatting is fast and won’t lose you anything.

Did that help at all or just make everything more confusing? :neutral_face:

Thanks so much for all your help and taking the time to reply with so much detail. I really appreciate it!