Scrivener for Windows...

Scrivener for Windows can open documents made with Scrivener for Mac version 2.0, which is also currently in beta.

Actually, it’s no longer in beta, but otherwise, yes. :slight_smile:

Well, it’s not in full release yet, so I guess that makes it what, gamma? :smiley:

so i must buy scrivener 2 for mac to use my docs on scrivener Windows ? i think i will recreate the docs, cheaper solution :slight_smile:

The 1.x Mac version used some Mac-only file formats which is why the Windows version cannot open 1.x .scriv files. We spent a lot of time redesigning the format so that it would work for both platforms.

This is the most amazing and easy to learn writing program I have used. I cannot wait to get the official program. Will the beta truly become non working Dec. 12? I’m willing to buy it in the beta format just so I can continue using it. Thanks for helping us in window world.

I’m a misanthrope when it comes to computers. PC, Mac, Indigo. Doesn’t matter. All computers suck. All operating systems suck. It’s just a matter of which type of suck I want to deal with personally. :wink:

You’re a person who hates people when it comes to computers? :wink:

[size=75](Remember, “misanthrope” comes from the Greek words “miso” and “anthropos”, which are “hate” and “man (person)”, respectively…)[/size]

garpu:

I agree, but I also disagree. It isn’t the computers or OS or software that suck, it is the design that sucks. The design is an human effort as the computer or OS or software can not design itself. This means that the inanimate object, the computer or OS or software, can not suck. Leaving us with the humans being the source of the suckage and hence, it is the humans that suck.

As to the actual point I was making, If you have to choose “which type of suck” you must endure, I would suggest that Apple gives you the most options at the lowest overall TCO if you really want the ability to “choose” based on experience.

But I have been told this is not the forum for this discussion.

Wouldn’t that be interpretable via context (not a greek scholar by any stretch)? Something like

I expect to be corrected into oblivion. Have at it.

Yes, I understood what he meant. I was simply being pedantic (if there’s one place I figure I can be pedantic about language, it’s among a bunch of writers), though trying to be less-than-serious about it.

But the definition of the word still stands. I found the juxtaposition of using a word that explicitly refers to human beings being used in reference to computers to be amusing. :slight_smile:

Could be he is a cyborg which would make it technically more accurate while simultaneously more freaky.

Sounds like misanthropomorphising to me.

:laughing:

I don’t have any other response to that.

Hello everyone I have just changed from Ywriter to Scrivener (sorry Simon :mrgreen: ) anyway I have seen that the price will be$40 for the windows version I just wondered how many upgrades will you get before having to pay for an upgrade. Thanks Grandad7

Hi Grandad7,

Thanks for using Scriv! There’s no specific answer to your question, I’m afraid. All minor updates are free, so if you buy 1.0 you get 1.0.1, 1.1, 1.5, 1.67, 1.8 and so on for free, but then have to pay for an update to 2.0 when it is released. Then all updates will be free until 3.0. The update price is about half of the regular price, or just over (it’s currently $25 on the Mac version, which costs $45 to buy new).

To give you some idea, though, 1.x of the Mac version was released in January 2007 and 2.0 was released in November 2010. Anyone who owned 1.x got 2.0 for $25, as I say, and anyone who had purchased 1.x three months or less before 2.0 was released got the update for free. So, someone who bought Scrivener 1.0 when it was first released got nearly four years of free updates; someone who bought in July 2010 only got four months’ worth (which doesn’t sound very fair, but unfortunately we have to have a cut-off, of course).

That said, I think 2.0 of the Windows version will come around much more quickly as 1.x of the Windows version won’t have all of Scrivener 2.0-for-the-Mac’s features. So it may be that for 1.x of the Windows version there is only a year or so of free updates, after which there would be a longer period for 2.0 (because I haven’t even started planning 3.0 for the Mac version yet).

So, in other words, we don’t know exactly. :slight_smile: What I can say is that we won’t release a paid upgrade less than a year after the last version was released. In general, it will be longer than that, but it’s difficult to say with Windows 1.x at the moment.

We do try to be as fair as possible, though, and a little flexible - in general we’re more interested in trying to make the current version as good as possible rather than trying to squeeze more money out of users for updates. Paid updates will only be for significant overhauls (2.0 on the Mac took me two years of coding, for instance).

Hope that helps a little, at least.

All the best,
Keith

Thank You! Especially from those of us who can only afford to buy a $300 windows machine. THANK YOU! I love it! I am telling everyone about it, from my grad buddies, to my writing buddies, to all the teachers who create lesson plan collections. You have made our lives so much easier. Thank you again!
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I have friends who recommended this program, and I was sad at first when I saw that it was a Mac program, because I write most often on my laptop.

And then I found the link for the Windows version.

I am currently using the beta (0.20) to work on two short stories and a novel. I have used yWriter for a while (meh) and have paid for other programs - and far too much money at that. I am seriously in love with what I see, and fully intend to purchase the Mac version for my Cube at home, and will definitely purchase the Windows version when it’s released.

This is, by far, the best designed and simply the smartest writing program I have ever found.

That’s fantastic that you still have a working Cube! :slight_smile: You’ll need at least Tiger on it to run Scrivener though, so hopefully it’s updated.

It’s running the highest possible version of OS X that it can handle. It literally will not update any longer, because it’s hit the end of available updates. (It’s certainly 10.4, if not 10.5. Don’t think it can handle 10.5, but if it can, that’s what I’m running.)

I have bought and run it, and LOVE it on the Mac!

AMAZING program, and thank you again for all the effort that has been put in to this to make it work on Windows.