Scrivener for iPad

I will support you in every decision Keith… I know how difficult is your work and surely I will prefer a wonderful 2.0 for OsX than a not-so-well done iPad version.
By the way, congratulations for your newly born child! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

So is there an opportunity for a cooperative of say 100 people or 1000 people who would put in the seed money for an iPad version, buy in the programming skills and even project management if required. Then 70% of sales goes to Keith and David and the balance to the co-op and further development.

Seems such an opportunity to grab the application and distribution channel of what could be a significant new market for readers.

Opinions?

Here’s one Scrivener user who wouldn’t buy a Scrivener for iPad!

I won’t buy an iPad either. For me, writing is hammering on keys. If I want to leave greasy marks on shiny surfaces, I can do so on the mirror in my bathroom.

I’ve not posted here before… but i’m posting now… because i LOVE scrivener… and I’m 110% behind the guys that develop it… they have a fantastic application, and they have to do what they believe is right and fits with their situations and work/life needs

I’d rather see scrivener 2.0 than an iPad version… IF i got an iPad… AND… i HAD to write on the move, I’d do what I do now… write it down in something (like WriteRoom) and sync it up and work on it properly in Scrivener when I can get to Scrivener

The future of scrivener and its developers is the important thing… the guys do a great job of programming a excellent stable amazing piece of software that helps others create…

Keith would be mad to work on Scrivener for iPad. If you want to write things buy a computer. If you want to consume things buy something like an iPod Touch (or the big expensive and frankly disappointing new version called iPad). It doesn’t matter that L&L is a small company. Even a huge company wouldn’t throw something at developing a serious writing app for iPad. Only a handful of fanbois would ever use it and by diverting resources from the mainstream of Scrivener users we’d all suffer.

Outside the fanbois community this looks a very dubious product indeed to me - and not just me either…

i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-t … t-the-ipad

Amen

Phil

Screen shot 2010-01-27 at 5.36.39 PM.png

So this was you then!

THANK YOU, Keith, for not giving in to this closed Appstore environment philosophy. I am upset about Apple going the iPhone OS route, thus limiting the possibilities you have to create software and USE software for this device. Apple though, well, they love that. They have control and earn money with pretty much everything that is happening on those devices.

Also, yes, I want a physical keyboard as well. The fingers need to rest somewhere, they cant stay afloat while not typing on that screen, I suppose.

For that money, I will rather get another battery for my MBP (so I have roughly 10 hours of Scrivener too) AND a larger internal HDD. Oh, and at least I can display 720p on that screen, unlike that iPad thingy… sorry for the rant.

Keith’s logic makes perfect sense to me.

I will probably buy an iPad at some point, and will always use Scrivener, but if I need to own a laptop to use Scrivener, I will. It will make long plane trips less writing-intensive, but like I said, the thought process makes sense.

B1225

I only thought of wanting Scrivener for iPad when I saw that Apple have released iWork (Pages, etc.) for iPad. I admit, however, that these may have been written with inside information and capabilities not available to the app developers and so Pages’ ability to open .RTF may not be available to app devs - but, then again, it may be.

P.S. By the way, everyone, the iPad is said to be able to support a bluetooth keyboard - like the one I am writing this on. 8)

What if there was a pared down Scrivener app that allowed you to work on individual text files - without full access to the binder and outline modes. It would allow you to choose specific pages you knew you were going to work on that day, use them with your iPad, and then sync them back to the main document.

Either that, or work with one of the smaller/simpler text editing programs, like write room, and see if they will build in some functionality that lets you communicate easily between the two programs.

That way, before you leave the house, you open your project, export the “Chapter 1” file only. Use that on your iPad at the library. Come back home and upload the changes. Scrivener users with iPads are going to be doing this in some way regardless, so maybe there’s a way to build it in.

Some have complained about not wanting to write without a keyboard. That’s a legitimate beef, but the iPad not only will have a combo keyboard and stand, it’ll work with the stock Apple Bluetooth keyboard. You can find details here:

apple.com/ipad/design/

Also, keep in mind that, while the iPad is about half as fast as an MacBook, it also costs half as much and is far more portable (1.5 pounds or 0.68 kg). If you’ve ever thought of getting a MacBook but were deterred by the $1,000 price, an iPad at $499 could be the answer for you. As Steve Jobs clearly intended, the iPad offers something much better than a netbook for a netbook price.

But, as Keith has stressed, bringing Scrivener to the iPad is a different issue. From what the developer of TaskPaper has told me, the current iPhone (and thus iPad) OS doesn’t have all the text-handling bells and whistles that Keith has used to write Scrivener. Recreating them from scratch would take the resources of an Apple. That said, Apple did create a powerful word processor when they ported Pages to the iPad. If those text-handling features find their way into the 4.0 version of the iPhone/iPad OS, then a version of Scrivener for the iPad would make a lot more sense.

If that happens, rather than load Keith down with learning a new OS and distracting him still further away from writing novels, it might be possible to find a talented, independent iPhone developer who could much more easily create a feature-complete and file compatible version for the iPad. That’d make everyone happy.

Keep in mind that the market for iPad apps is likely to be on the same huge scale as iPhone apps. Like it or not, the Mac is a niche product, particularly in the global market. The iPhone is not a niche product. It is a huge product globally. The same is likely to be true of iPad products, which is why there are rumors that Apple has bought up most of the world production of 10-inch LCD screens for it. An iPad version of Scrivener could, for instance, sell for the same $9.95 that Apple will be selling Pages. If Keith gets $1 of that as his share for being the designer, leaving $6 for the developer, he could be doing very, very well indeed.

For now, we can all relax. The first models of the iPad won’t be out for two months and after that we can see what direction Apple takes the operating system and if it would even be possible to create something like Scrivener.

Personally, I’d love to see an iPad version of Scrivener. Yesterday, I was skeptical that I’d ever want an iPad. Today, I’m looking for good excuses to get one. Doing books for the iPad is one excuse. Having Scrivener running on it would be another powerful reason.

–Mike Perry, Seattle

Concentrate on 2.0 and beyond for mac.

Thanks.

Keith, resist all this palaver from the gadgetarians.
The iPad will be OK for e-mail and writing notes in Pages files.
But don’t mistake it for a writing machine.

The 13-inch MacBook Pro is a far better tool.
Bigger screen, faster chip, more text & reference apps.
More file storage, true multi-tasking, fast wi-fi;
Large keyboard, did I mention Scrivener?
And I’ll take a mouse to gestures, any day.

I would like it if AT&T offered 3g access for $15 a month, though. :bulb:

I am not going to write on a pad, and why would I buy a keyboard for it? I don’t need that. I have that, I call it my iMac. I don’t get all the hoohah about the iPad here? It is cool as a replacement for a netbook but that is just about it, making it leaner and slicker.

Sounds interesting to me! Because if we work in the library, we make quick notes and scribbles. Than @Home we work things out. Similar, it is imaginable to have only the “cards” of Scrivener (like a digital Hipster PDA).

If it comes to making choices, I do agree: I prefer the Mac—Scrivener te be developed and maintained. But is it really a matter of either or? :unamused:

P.S. Congrat with the 2.0, you guys made us curious. Now we have to wait (and support you guys): “Patience, my friend, patience…”

Being a writers forum you would imagine a certain amount of intellience. Yet, it seems, even when explained simply and precisely why this isn’t a viable project certain people still have to try it on. It’s like being back in school. You have my complete sympathy Keith as this is going to be the ‘iPhone / iTouch pared down app’ all over again.

Hi Keith.

When a company describes its own technology as ‘magical’, I get the uneasy feeling they’re trying to pull the wool over my eyes. I watched the video and it was the creepiest thing I have ever seen come out of Apple marketing. The Cupertino folk appeared to be attempting to hypnotise me through Quicktime. All I see is a big iPod, to be honest.

I’m not yet convinced that many writers are going to be bashing out epics on a tiny non-tactile keyboard, and if Apple thought they were then they wouldn’t have bothered with a keyboard add-on and if it needs a keyboard add-on then I’m more inclined to get a cheap Macbook and run stuff without restrictions.

Anyway, that’s just me.

What Rayz says.

Hi.

For me Scrivener does not make sense on a 10" screen. I remember when I still had my iBook, using Scrivener always felt cramped (to me - I know that Keith originally used an iBook for programming and writing). To make use of the Binder and of multiple views, I need a larger screen - 15" and more.

I find the iPad interesting and will probably get one - once the next generation is available. If I use it for writing (using a real keyboard), it will only serve as input channel to Scrivener. Just as I use a Windows notebook/tablet PC for writing on the road. All the new stuff will be imported into my Scrivener projects either through RTF files or through Dropbox.

So: I won’t need a Scrivener for iPad.

My 2 ct,
Franz