English - why I hate Americans

Shitshitshit!!! Im as thick as a double ditch!! :open_mouth: I shouldve seen that one coming a mile away! 8) :wink: [size=50]Nice one young n.[/size]
10[size=150]*[/size]

Thank you Mr K. Thank you.

Y`re welcome. :wink:

Boston, CT has something like 12 accents. Within moments of speaking to someone, a native can tell where in particular the person came from. The east coast seems to have more variance in dialect than the western regions, largely as a result of the way the country was settled.

JB, I often roll my eyes at good old Webster, who decided we Americans should spell differently (and use some different words) to further dissociate us from our former nation. I like to spell “color” as “colour,” and I used to use British spellings all the time as some sort of affectation, but college professors (most of them British expats) beat that out of me.

With a sausage?

One post takes us to the vic-k sub level. sigh

My bad, I’m gone.

No you’re not. Plane is next week. You can’t fool us.

And with the noticeable absence of mr k someone needs to keep us in the sub-levels.

You two are doing a good Job by yourselves!
FLUFF

We try. We try. We just are not as good at it as the venerable Mr K though. Our endeavors lack a certain … I don’t know … psychosis? that only Mr K can achieve.

Okay, talking of English and Americans, Americans tell me this, will you:

In this week’s FlashForward (yeah yeah, so I’m a sucker for “event” TV, that’s not the point), why, oh why, did they have to change the details so that instead of CERN and a fictional version of the Large Hadron Collider being responsible (as it is in the book, apparently, and as it is obviously based on), there was an American national particle accelerator behind the great science, and yet it was still bloody English scientists who were responsible for f***ing everything up. Huh? Huh?

Deeply ingrained in the Amerian psyche – or at least, in that of American politicians, media executives, and religious leaders – is an absolute inability to take responsibility for, or acknowledge association with, or even admit awareness of, anything which might in any way be considered a MISTAKE.

Mistakes do happen, of course. Inadvertencies, we may call them. Unfortunate and absolutely unpredictable reversals of fortune precipitated by events beyond the control of ordinary mortals, or even extraordinary mortals.

You know, things like oil spills, clerical abuse, collateral damage. That stuff.

…still, one must assign blame when the offal enters the whirling blades, mustn’t one? It needn’t be an even remotely guilty party; it need only be one whose potential for guilt is not beyone the pale.

In short, anyone but us.

ps

[size=70]dang you pjs! stop stealing my thunder.[/size]

We won the war? A couple of times? :wink:

We can’t originate. Most inventions are created by foreign nationals. But since the FN works from some American Corp America get the credit for the good. When things go south it is the terrible foreigner who made a mistake.

Basically we we make great thugs.

Also deeply ingrained into the American psyche is a disturbing willingness to accept bullshit over truth, when that bullshit fits comfortably within one’s own preconceived notions. Remember, we’re the descendants of people who immigrated here because they believed that the streets of America were literally paved with gold–and I confess that my great-grandmother was among them. (Granted, she was only 13 when she arrived here from Austria, but still!) Gullibility is apparently part of our national genome.

Gullibility or predisposition to hope?

Similar symptoms, but I think the slow death of hope in our culture is leading to the increase of cynicism and skepticism (non-religious) that we are seeing in the younger generations. My generation was a leader in this move toward a social “f you all since we are all doomed” hopelessness that seems so pervasive today.

I am probably wrong.

I can only answer this with a few simple questions.

(1) What is more popular in foreign countries?
The “American” Dream or the “British” Dream?

(2) What country was one of the largest empires, had one of the largest modern armies, one of the most advanced navy at the time and still lost a war against farmers and shoe makers?

(3) What country has more millionaires and billionaires? England or America?

(4) Is “Hollywood” not the most popular entertainment name for actors?

(5) Where are a majority of books printed at. In England or in America?

(6) What country is more of a household name across the globe?

(7) Who on average has better teeth?

(8) Where does more innovation occur at. England or America?

(9) Where do a majority of all the musicians go to get discovered?

(10) What is more common across the globe and in print. English spelling or American Spelling.

But as a bone to all the Brits, you do have James Bond.
:slight_smile:

and Keith Blount.

We also have a solid sense of superiority. :slight_smile:

… honest answers to which are not invariably flattering to the US, and slight variations of which can be downright embarrassing. For instance:

In (4), it is not to our benefit or credit that many millions – billions, perhaps – think first of us, and think badly when they do so.

In (2), you need change only verb tenses and rustic professions to find Viet Nam, or Afghanistan/Iraq.

ps

“Bring me my brown pants!”

:slight_smile: