Problem Loading Web Pages in Scrivener

Has anyone tried to load Roam Research as a web page file inside Scriv. before?

I am able to load it the first time round, but when navigating anyway from the file, it has to re-load when again when I navigate back and at this point it fails, see screenshot below.

Wondering if this is because there is an authentication cookie? Or if there are any other common problems with loading web pages this way?

Cheers

[attachment=0]Scriv-Roam.png[/attachment]

Yes, generally pages that require authentication will fail when loaded within Scrivener.

Scrivener has what’s more accurately described as a “viewer” than a true web browser, and as such it isn’t able to handle authentication scripts or other forms of dynamically updated content.

Katherine

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me.

Are there any plans to change this in the future?

Browser developers have a hard enough time keeping up with the “internet”. I hope the Scrivener Team doesn’t chase this too hard due to risk and cost.

Yes, I would agree with that.

My assumption was that the app was making use of something like WKWebView.

developer.apple.com/documentati … /wkwebview

1 Like

I am sorry to revive this old discussion, as I am unsure of the implementation’s current status. I just want to add a data point by pointing out that handling authentication would be a remarkably positive addition to my use case. Many of the tools I use for my research are behind those gates, and they require me to log in every time. Switching between pages also forces a reload of the web application, which I would enjoy avoiding.

If you need a dynamic web page in Scrivener, make it a document or project bookmark. Do the same for any content that tends to change.