Big friendly wave from Glasgow

I’ve been writing for years, it’s an addiction, and to be honest I was very sceptical about software aids, I was a great believer in the good old fountain pen for a first draft, editing as I typed it up. But I’d heard so many good things about Scrivener that earlier this year I splashed out for it. Then - catastrophe! I liked to work in the Mitchell Library free from distractions like the two naughty cats that manage this establishment, or failing that in my favourite café. Then came Covid19: the Mitchell closed, the café went for collection-only and in any case I, with my asthma, was confined to barracks with the moggies. I’m free again now but to be honest I went right off the boil. I’m hoping to use Scrivener and the support of fellow writers to kick-start my work again.

I write crime fiction, articles, a bit of poetry, occasional sketches for radio comedy.

PS I see I joined this forum several years back. I’d completely forgotten. A great deal has happened to me since then !

Hi enitharmon,
I’m not too far from you - Edinburgh…and yes, know a little how you feel…had gotten into a routine of working in the one of the libraries here, or in Starbucks across from the castle :slight_smile:
In any case, just thought I’d say welcome back to the writing world…glad to hear the moggies are keeping you company.
Micha.

Hi Micha,

Lovely to meet you. I was supposed to be going to Edinburgh yesterday but the meeting was postponed. That was probably just as well given what a filthy day it was.

When I’m over there and need a place to work there’s a café in Gorgie I go to where it’s quiet and I’m left in peace. Also the Kilderkin pub in Canongate if I’m visiting Holyrood, which happens occasionally.

Hi enitharmon,

Welcome!

I hope you’re able to kick-start your work. I assume most of us writers are more pleasant to be around when we’re feeling productive versus when we’re not. I know that’s the case with me at least. So here’s to a more pleasant world!

Best,
Jim . … … from the US, who had to google moggies :slight_smile:

Hi enitharmon,

wanted to say thanks for mentioning the Kilderkin - I like Canongate but haven’t tried the Kilderkin. Hopefully when things are a bit more settled.

Also, Jim saying he had to look ‘moggie’ up made me recheck my understanding of the word, and suddenly worry that I might have insulted you or your cats, especially if they are pedigree. I hope not! :slight_smile:

If you’re looking for another good place to write, the central library on George IV Bridge is great - not the reference room which is lovely but often crowded and the seating torturous. But the lower sub-basement floors where the music and Scottish collections are housed - big, bright rooms overlooking bits of the Canongate.

Do feel free to get in touch if you’re in Edinburgh and would like to meet and exchange cat stories over a coffee or pint some day. (Basics: I’m female, married, love cats, though currently catless, and still struggling to get back into a writing routine.)