[LH4466] List items indenting inconsistently from Beta to RC2. Video included.

Nested list items continue to grow increasingly bonkers. I fear for the sanity of the programmers you may assign to this terror. Please consider that your programmers may require additional love, or the reassurance that they will still be loved once these terrors are resolved. Somebody will have to make Scrivener 4, after all.

Most of these bugs have been around for many betas now. Some are likely already tracked but it’s hard to tell exactly which ones those are.

#1: Can’t copy-paste text into an existing list item without creating a new list item.
#2: De-indenting copy-pasted list items has inconsistent spacing with existing list items.
#3: De-indenting existing indented items results in inconsistent spacing with existing list items.
#4: Save, close and re-open projects to find new list items follow inconsistent spacing rules with pre-existing list items.
#5: Changing the list icon type on any sub-item of a list only affects the parent item; change it to a square or diamond and all sub-list items will instead remain hollow circles.[New bug, unseen before]

I have created a youtube video of some of my ongoing bullet woes: youtube.com/watch?v=ajErXUUmQ1Y

The bug I face in my project is more frustrating than even what I show in the video, but for some reason is hard to recreate in a new test project.

• I open my existing project.
  • Hit tab on an existing list item and/or create and indent a new sub-list item.
  • Cursor moves to far right hand side of editor. Any text typed is invisible while at that level of indentation. Somewhere beyond Pluto, I think. Sometimes it’ll just jump to the middle of the editor instead. Sometimes it’ll be at the level shown in the video.

Note: I’m no expert at making videos, I don’t have screen cap software or know how to crop the video. It is unlisted on youtube, because I’m not trying to bad mouth anyone and I love Scrivener - I’m just trying to demonstrate a bug that I’m having a hard time explaining. I also don’t have a camera stand so I had to lean my phone against a water bottle while trying to avoid reflected light, please pardon the orientation and positioning.

Thanks, Scribblette! The video was very helpful. Some of these bugs will be fixed in the next update.

Oh, that’s wonderful to hear. Bullet lists are currently extremely frustrating to use.

Progress update. I’m not sure how many of these bugs relate to LH4050 and LH4233 so I mention them just in case.

#1: Can’t copy-paste text into an existing list item without creating a new list item.

This bug has been fixed it seems. Hooray! Hopefully.

#5: Changing the list icon type on any sub-item of a list only affects the parent item; change it to a square or diamond and all sub-list items will instead remain hollow circles.[New bug, unseen before]

This bug has been fixed. Hooray!

However the remaining bugs are still a problem with RC3.

2, 3 and 4 seem to all experience the same problem. Basically if I create lists, exit Scrivener and then re-open a project, anything added to those same lists seem to follow some secondary invisible ruleset that messes with their indentation.

#2: De-indenting copy-pasted list items has inconsistent spacing with existing list items.
#3: De-indenting existing indented items results in inconsistent spacing with existing list items.
#4: Save, close and re-open projects to find new list items follow inconsistent spacing rules with pre-existing list items

Example: I have indented a sub-list item (so a second level bullet). Everything looks normal. I save and exit and then reopen my project. If I now hit backspace on the same item, it will not line up with the first level of bullets. If I go oh crap better not do that and hit tab to try and put it back to its normal level, it jumps a little further in and refuses to line up even with second level items. I have to delete the bullet altogether and re-indent it.

Would another video help?

I know this wasn’t listed as fixed, but I’m just including an example image of the current state.
RC5 Bullets.png

Bullets are absolutely maddening. I mean, at times, they make me want to pull my hair out; it has been this way for months. They are easily the #1 annoyance for me.

The problem I repeatedly have isn’t even listed above (but the video of the problems the OP has illustrates perfectly how broken they are).

My primary issue is I frequently get a single bullet become a double bullet - that is, two bullets on the same line - when I reopen a save. I’ve spent months deleting these double bullets, only to have them pop up again on saves, almost randomly. They seem to mainly infect the opening line of the bullet list.

In short, I think bullets really need working on. From my experience, more than anything else.

For those wrestling with Bullets / Lists, this is another active thread with many reported issues. Just placing this here as you may find issues you’re facing are already reported there.

[url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/lh4050-lh4233-continued-problems-with-lists-bullets-moving-up-down-and-changing-indent-rc1/46823/1]

Cheering dev team on as they plough through this challenge of fixing Bullets/Lists in Scrivener 3.

Using Release Candidate 13 on Windows 10. I can’t find the changelog to check whether these were dealt with at some point previously. Unsure. I added an update on this problem to the other thread which follows a different bug report number. I’ll add my posts here instead. Sorry for my error.

When a project is saved and re-opened it seems as if bullet placement is forgotten. New sub-items when tabbed in will be placed at the wrong level of indentation. Old or new sub-items when tabbed back will also be placed wrong.

[attachment=1]buggybullets.png[/attachment]

Sometimes the bullet/list icon type is forgotten altogether. I have a series of solid circles at any indentation and then a series of squares at any indentation, rather than one icon type per level of indentation.

[attachment=2]borkedbullets.png[/attachment]

Below is an example of how insane the problem with lists can become in practice. The default bullets/list or styles or something seem to be corrupted in the save, such that they will jump in WAAAAY too far.

[attachment=0]BulletsAreMad.png[/attachment]

In case it’s not clear, the first item is placed as part of an existing list. I saved, closed and re-opened the project.

I then added the second item and indented it. It indents way too far!

I then created a new list altogether which works normally now, but if I was to save, close and re-open the project, any new bullets added to that new list would also indent incorrectly.

I’m happy to take another video if needed or if I’m communicating poorly.

Please forgive me if this is somewhat off topic, but will there ever be a place to set up default appearance options for lists? Or would that not make sense as there are so many list styles?

Perhaps options aren’t even necessary, and what I’m seeing in RC13 HiDPI is similar to what everyone else is complaining about:

BTW, I do see the indent setting in the ruler is far over, and I know I could, in theory, drag it over to where I want it, but that doesn’t “stick” and future sub-items are screwy again.

Not to mention that either my mouse, or my mouse driver, or Windows 10 doesn’t like to let me click and drag (it keeps unselecting the drag handle—mid-drag—sometimes with unfortunate results, such as dragging one document from its proper, desired location to another altogether, frequently causing me to wonder “What did I just do?”)

I have no idea on the styles and setting up defaults.

But for the screenshot, I definitely see that happening as part of the bugs I’ve been reporting above. So hopefully they’re aware of it already.

This bug might be fixed! I have the exact same problem if I use older lists which I copy and were made with earlier versions. However new lists made with rc 12 or 13 are just fine.

I have a form I copy and use in many places that has lots of bullet lists. When I re-wrote the list with rc 12 or so, the problem went away. When I run into a list from a few months ago, the problem re-appears, because the base list is older.

I still get this issue with new lists on RC13, especially if I indent list items and carry on a dedented new line, or if I copy and paste text into a list (not necessarily from an existing one), though it’s inconsistent

The lists I used in my examples were all new lists.