Reduced Cross-Platform Support

Windows has nothing like the Cocoa text system. It is the best in the industry, and nothing can hold a candle to it. GNUstep is closest. Behind that is everything else. Far behind.

To the original poster: If something becomes a liability just let it go.

I used to be on the same boat, and simply stopped caring for the Windows counterpart of L&L products. I manage my 4 projects using the IOS and Mac versions of the program.

I used to be one of the demanding ones, one of the group that could not see anything good in the windows development team and spent hours writing hostile posts and remarks, and read many others of the same ilk. You know what, it didn’t advanced the delivery of Windows version 3 an inch!!! It did not help me write a single meaningful sentence, not a single iota.

So, after a while I stopped caring about release dates and took advantage of the free beta available. Then, I was given a second MacBook Air in very good condition and decided to buy the Mac version and forget about the Windows until it becomes finally available. Life’s too short to waste it being a mean character.

I’m not implying that you’re being mean, or anything like that, only that by worrying by betas, release dates etc, you’re not being productive, you’re not writing.

Yes this is extremely frustrating and fare beyond the point of overpromising. After a while it just becomes a straight out lie to lure people to buy something that never gets delivered.

I have a macbook from my work and a PC with a 38"monitor (that is not compatible with the macbook).

I bought the bundle over a year ago expecting at some point that I could work on my PC as well.
But I can’'t as the windows version isn’t coming.

Also there is no still no releasedate which only means one thing: They have no clue how far they are.from delivering.
Nonsense excuse is that it is policy not to mention delivery dates, but that is just a euphemism for repeating they have no clue when to deliver.

I can’t recall suppliers ever being this uncommitted to delivering on promise.

I have kept out of these threads most of the time because they seem to generate far more heat than light, and in any case do nothing to hasten the release of Scrivener 3.

I do want to point out though that the release of a piece of software is a largely artificial milestone. There are beta versions, then there is one or more release candidates, and then there is a release. The released software - the “deliverable” software - is often no different from the final release candidate, which is often hardly any different from the first release candidate, which is not very different to the final beta version.

I have personally been using Scrivener 2.9 (the beta) on a daily basis since September 3, 2018 when I switched from my paid up 1.9 to 2.9.6. At that point I knew I had no need to do any compiling for months, so I had no concerns about the area that were announced as not ready.

In that period I have written and published websites, academic papers, course notes, and many other pieces of writing with the rapidly developing Scrivener 3 beta. I have not lost a single word. I have not suffered at all from using the beta. I have contributed in very minor ways to its development.

Whenever it is finally released I will feel only one difference: I will have to pay for it.

The beta has been as usable as the “finished” version will be for months now. We can guarantee that when version 3 is released someone will find some bugs and version 3.1 will be along soon. So it goes.

I am aware some people are more risk averse than me and I am aware that they probably have very good reasons for being so. I am not making any assertions here about what other people are doing ,or should be doing. I merely wish to point out that I at least have found version 3 a great tool for an appreciable length of time now.

I am very grateful for it whether it has a badge on its lapel saying “beta” or not.

1 Like

You obviously have not bothered to read the comments from L&L staff or checked out the beta. It is an amazing program already and clearly moving closer to release. It is completely useable and solid already. If you wanted to you could have been using a very stable V3 Win for some months now. The only issue, it has the title of beta.

As for the suggestion of a straight out lie, what a load of bs. While they will not pre-announce a release date we get a good deal of information from the beta releases and other threads o the forum.

I’d be interested to know what 38” monitor you have that is not compatible with a MacBook. I’ve not seen a PC compatible one yet that won’t connect, even if an adapter is needed.

From what I have seen in 35 years or so of using (not creating) PC software, there are 4 possibilities regarding release dates:

1. You work diligently and promise a firm release date. The night before the release date, elves who are capable of producing software code with no unexpected problems come in and finish the project. You meet the release date. Users love you.
  2. You work diligently and promise a firm release date. The elves don’t show up, but gremlins do. You are committed to the release date, so you release the software with known bugs still in place. Users hate you.
  3. You work diligently and promise a firm release date. No elves, just gremlins. You refuse to release buggy or not-fully-functional software, so you miss the release date and set another one, which you also miss. Users hate you.
  4. You work diligently, but (perhaps having been burned by #3) you decline to promise a release date. Gremlins appear. It takes longer than you ever imagined. Users hate you. But when you finally do release it, it works near-flawlessly. Users claim they always loved you.

It would indeed be a lie if they actually never released the product. There is zero reason to expect that to happen.

So what did L&L promise you? And when?

Early 2019 and updated the page August 2019.

They sell a bundle in which they had promised that you could upgrade to version 3 when it would be available.
The latter will never happen. Probably not before version 4 is available and definately not in a reasonable period (years is not reasonable).

You pay for the fact thay you can have the software available on two platforms.
Currently this fraudulant offering is still being made; Bundle for 85 and mac version for 53.
You pay 32 euros extra for absolutely nothing as the two versions are incompatable and the windows version is of no use when you also use the mac version.

L&L should reimburese buyers of bundles for the amount they paid too much, as L&L have not delivered the value that customer reasonably could expect from it, and they know it as the versions are incompatible.

See also:

literatureandlatte.com/stor … ab=Bundles

literatureandlatte.com/intr … crivener-3

“Never” is a long time.

The status updates in the beta forum demonstrate steady progress toward a releasable version of Windows Scrivener 3.

If you would like a refund, you are welcome to contact our sales team, here:
literatureandlatte.com/contact-us

Katherine

4b. You release your product with flaws. Your clients ask you to please put a remedy to those flaws. You ignore them and ask you support team to ignore the posts concerning those flaws. It’s amazing the Mac V3 Spanish menu (and I think the German one aswell) still got many items yet to be localized. That a Spanish user has to use a dictionary in order to understand the functions of a program that’s supposedly in his native language and that you contact the company, write forum posts and nobody gives and damn.

I also noticed the same issue in the Spanish Windows beta, offered some suggestions, and was told not to worry that localization was done at the end, only to find months later that L&L had the same issues in a product already released years ago. Well at least in that aspect Windows and Mac versions are fully compatible!!! :smiling_imp:

Have you reported the Spanish localization issues through our support system? We try to keep a close eye on the forums, but posts here don’t connect to our internal tracking system.

literatureandlatte.com/contact-us

Katherine

The offering CLEARLY states when V 3 is available. Everyone with a modicum of intelligence, or lack of bullshit axe to grind can easily see V3 is pushing at the gate to get out, with all the features the Mac version has gained during the development.

I don’t know where you are based, but accusations of fraud when there is clear evidence to the contrary is actionable, though I suspect the L&L team just shake their heads and get back to working on the last remaining bugs. Instead of blowing hard and making clearly false accusations, perhaps pull you head in and even start using the beta.

While I’m sure L&L would not make the claim, for the vast majority of us the beta is a fully useable program that other companies may well have stuck a version 1.0 label on and released it with the list of known bugs.

Seeing as you have a fixation on that 1.0 label just tell yourself that’s what it is, install it, get on with your writing and lay off the B/S Accusations.

Poor guy is venting his anger and you’re racking him up against the coals. He paid for what he expected would be a product and a compatibility that would be coming shortly, He committed a mistake. He got lost in the triumphant literature of L&L or whatever: let him be!!! Let L&L defend themselves. Follow your own piece of advice: stop your BS!!!

Point to one single word of bs…

Let’s not split hairs, Amcmo responded to a hostile post with hostility, that doesn’t make them a bully. It doesn’t mean they’re in the right, but it certainly doesn’t make them the instigator. I think they could stand to tone down their responses, but I also understand where they are coming from.

Venting a frustration and making baseless accusations of fraud are two very different things. It’s okay if someone is frustrated. Hell, I’m frustrated, but I also happen to sympathize with Literature and Latte’s predicament as I understand how the development process works, due to a background in IT.

Yes, development has taken longer than expected, but guess what? You have a full-functional feature rich and very stable 1.9.X release that works very well. Sure it lacks a few bells and whistles, but it’s still a fine piece of software that does what it was intended to very well. Failing that you have a beta that’s pretty damned stable and is cross compatible with the Mac version. I would urge any of the naysayers to read the posts from those defending the developers and do some research. before making these kind of accusations.

You would think a bunch of writers of all people would be more sympathetic. How many of you have been plagued by writer’s block and/or missed a deadline?

In my experience, writers are one of thethe most miserable, sneaky, lowest life forms known to man. And let’s not get started with some subspecies like journalists, or scholars…

Oh, man, you made my day. :smiley: This sentence is so good for a particular character in my novel. I’m taking it with me! :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Please do so with my blessings.

Well, in defense of scholars, most of them are employed in academic institutions, where human decency has been known to flee the building weeping and screaming. Hmm, is that a defense?

But in support of your point:

In the meanwhile RC3 is out with an expected lifespan of 10 days instead of 7… Bummer!!!