Default Preferences to Emulate Plain-Text

Thanks AmberV. That’s what I thought. Nice to know I can modify your excellent plain text prefs without mucking things up for markup.

I just made this suggestion in another post on the forum but it occurred to me that it might be appropriate here. Given the recent upsurge in interest in plain text, Markdown, etc. (at least among nerds), maybe that preference file could be converted to an official Scrivener template that could appear among the choices offered (like Fiction, Non Fiction, Recipes et al) that appear when you open a new project in Scrivener?

1 Like

Well project templates do not change application settings, which is all these are. You could override the text editor settings aspect of them, with a project’s custom text formatting settings, but we stay away from doing that in the official project templates to avoid confusion.

But on the matter of having some useful MMD templates, sure, we’re planning on doing that for the next big release in fact.

Sweet! Yet another reason to anticipate the new version!

Using Scrivener 3.1.5 on MacOS Catalina, I downloaded these preferences and imported the styles (selecting “Replace Existing Styles”) but I don’t see any change. Does it matter that I’m still using the trial version of Scrivener? Anything else I could be doing wrong? Thanks.

Everything looks to be okay with the various settings file. It’d need a little more information on what it is you are doing to confirm that none of the settings make any changes to preferences/styles etc.

Does replacing existing styles in an existing project change the appearance of text, or do you have to use the “convert to default formatting” feature under Documents->Convert?

No it would not, one needs to confirm they want their existing text changed. It might be for the Draft folder a safe assumption, but in research particularly, it could be very destructive to change formatting without confirmation.

So you’re saying that BERTOZZIVILL will need to select & convert (documents->convert->convert to default formatting) to make the new versions of their styles change the appearance of the text that was previously styled with a differently-formatted style of the same name?

If they are gauging the effectiveness of the settings by looking at text in the editor, then yes, as described in this help file.

Hi both, thanks.

What I tried:

• Downloading the directory linked in AmberV’s original post
  • Within my project of interest, going to Format > Style > Import Styles and selecting the .scriv from your post, and agreeing to override all changes.
  • Selecting all the documents in my Draft and running Documents > Convert > Text to Default Formatting.

My guess for why this did not work for me is that the bulk of the writing in this project does not have an associated style, so perhaps importing the stylesheet was not meaningful? I ultimately replicated the effect that I wanted by:

• In a single document, manually changing the tab, spacing, and font preferences to mirror the ones listed in the original post;
  • Setting these preferences as default (as described in the help page AmberV just linked)
  • Converting all documents in the draft to this default formatting
  • Also manually unticking all the correction/capitalization boxes in Preferences > Corrections.

AMBERV, thx for your setup. It would be great if this settings (pure markwown) we can find in editor by default and 1-click.

One question: is it possible to add code highlighting in editor or field with code at least like in another editor.

You’re welcome, glad you find it useful!

The best we could probably do is distribute these settings in the form that they are found here, only you wouldn’t have to download it, they would come installed with the software (like our sample colour themes do). I don’t think it would make much sense to have a one-click button to do this one specific thing with preferences.

Sure, I use a limited degree of “highlighting” via the Styles feature (you can bind them to shortcuts). For the most part these styles are purely cosmetic. I even have some set up to triggers via third-party software. For example if I type Return+Return+>+Space, then BetterTouchTool intercepts that and triggers the Format ▸ Styles ▸ Block Quote style I’ve created. Stuff like fenced code blocks in your example would be equally easy to add. In general I don’t bother too much with it, but it is nice for some things, to have a little visual accentuation.

There is a File=>Options Menu, but no Options=>Tools menu.

Searching the menus (Help=>Search Menu Items) does not locate this option either.

The advice you quote was written in 2011, when there was a Tools menu in v. 1,

The options in v. 3 have moved to File, so you’ll need to go through that.

:slight_smile:

Mark

There still is no Tools menu. Has it been renamed?

No, there is no tools menu; everything formerly in ‘Tools’ has been re-allocated elsewhere or has been superseded by a new feature located elsewhere. The options are now under File, as you discovered, but they might well have been re-organised in different panes.

As a mere Mac-user, I can’t help you beyond that, as I don’t know what the differences are, if any, between v. 1 Options and v. 3 options, or where anything else under v. 1 Tools is now located, as the Mac version has never had a ‘Tools’ menu.

Mark

I’ve updated the instructions to address Scrivener 3 for Windows.

Where can I find these updated instructions?

Press # to jump to post number 1 of this thread. Or I suppose the Home key on your keyboard should work as well.