Unable to open any project on iPhone

Basically, this is the screen when the app is opened. I can add a project (see “Test” at the top) but tapping any project results in nothing, like the tap screen is dead.

The app will sync with Dropbox and that’s about all.

How do I access my files?

This doesn’t look like the Scrivener app. Which app is it?

I think it’s the Scrivener app but maybe with bold text turned on in the accessibility settings of the phone.

To the OP: I see you are running a VPN on your phone. Have you tried opening the projects with the VPN off?

I’ve seen this screen come up on my iPhone 8 Plus running iOS 13.x.x. It’s also a symptom reported in this thread: [url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/trouble-with-scrivener-on-iphone/47443/1].

This seems to be a vestige of the iPad interface showing up on an iPhone in portrait mode – which should never happen. I got rid of it by forcing both my phone AND Scrivener to light mode always (no hardship for me because I loathe Dark Mode; your experience may vary.) That means both Settings App->Display & Brightness->Appearance needs to be set to Light Mode with Automatic OFF, AND Settings App->Scrivener->Appearance set to Light. Since I hate dark mode just as much on the Mac as I despise it on iOS, my Mac is likewise always in light mode (which may also have some effect on syncing as per the other thread.)

Please, L&L Tech Support, comment on one or another of these threads!

The same thing happened to me, what you need to do is to turn off dark mode and turn on light mode. Be sure to close Scrivener. Then turn off your iPhone and restart. Reopen Scrivener and it should fix the problem.
Hope this helps!

Yes, this is a known issue with the dark/light mode toggle. It is hopefully an easy fix!

Thanks for the update! :smiley:

Thanks for the tip. Setting Scrivener to Light Mode (my iPhone was already on Light Mode) fixed things for me. (I like Scrivener in dark mode though.)

You might be able to get dark mode back if you set the whole phone that way. I think the main trigger is when the code asks iOS to override the system appearance.

Thank for for these posts! Same thing happened to me, and putting the iphone on the same dark/light mode as scrivener fixed the issue.