iCloud Sync

It is unlikely that a different cloud solution would resolve this specific issue. Synchronization works the way it does in order to minimize the risk of synchronization conflicts and data loss when working between devices. Any other solution would require the exact same approach from our end, and in fact the difficulty of implementing that approach with other services is why Dropbox was chosen in the first place.

Katherine

The technical difficulties have been discussed at length before, including in this very thread:

Katherine

I’m saddened that we still don’t have iCloud sync, although I understand that there’s technical difficulties with it and so on. I just discovered that as of last month, Dropbox is now limiting free users to syncing with only three devices. I currently use four devices to manage my Scrivener projects, and now I’m going to have to ditch one of them. I also won’t be able to link anything else with Dropbox unless I pay them ten dollars a month.

So, it looks like I may have to consider using something else to write with, or haul my laptop everywhere I go. :cry:

I have the same problem — Scrivener on more than 3 devices. If it weren’t for Scrivener, I’d have considered dropping Dropbox, but all the alternatives are risk and/or clunky and in the end I’ve just upgraded the storage for an easier life. I consoled myself by thinking I’ve been using Dropbox free for several thousand years (ie can’t remember exactly, but it’s a long time) so it’s going to work out about 10p a month for quite a while yet overall…

Just registered to weigh in here as well now that Dropbox has their 3 device link limit, I’m stuck with $120/year if I want all my devices to be able to synchronize.

You’re only stuck with $120 if you want to add devices additional to those already connected.

Hello every scrivener-users,

with one desktop, one laptop, one iPad and one iPhone, the dropbox limit has been a serious problem, meaning “should i throw dropbox, scrivener, both or should i pay more than 100€ for an extra-activity that earns me approx. nothing ?” - i don’t what to explain too much, but the dropbox fee would be around 1/10 of the annual income i make with my writing.

In short : Scrivener is a really efficient tool, Dropbox works flawless, but the things i write in are not worth the prize.

My solution is : my main scrivener document is in a folder inside my dropbox folder. I have created an another free dropbox account and shared the scrivener’s folder with the new account - and the laptop is connected to dropbox with this new account. Not an ideal solution, but it seems to work, ans as my use of the laptop is for unusual situations, i think i could live with that for a while.

If this could help some of you…
… by the way, sorry for the mistakes, typos and wrong english as my main langages is french and/or python, not royal english :slight_smile:

I’ve been thinking about this, and I’m still pretty unhappy about it, but there is a sort-of solution…I’ve been thinking of setting up a second Dropbox account for syncing additional devices in the future.

I am really unhappy with the way Dropbox did this, and with the measly three device limit. I love Scrivener too much to give it up totally, and since I’m grandfathered in, I can at least use my devices for now.

Just a reminder. If you already have more than 3 devices linked to your Dropbox account nothing changes as long as you don’t wish to change any or add any more.
I am a little annoyed as I have 5 devices and typically upgrade the iOS ones each year. Win and Mac computers every 3-5 years. Was thinking if the rumoured 17” MacBook turns out to be true I’d swap my few month old 15” ASAP, but then I’d run in to the 3 device issue.

i’d love some clear instructions as to how to manage using dropbox so i can work on my desktop and then work via my laptop ?

updating found my answer; https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/using-scrivener-with-dropbox/11295/1

Hi Keith et al at L&L,

I am sure that you’re still snowed [under?!], but I just wanted to give this topic a bump and ask if there is anything more on the status of iCloud syncing?

Let’s hope that there is interesting stuff in the announcement of iOS 13 at WWDC 2019 (the Keynote is the 3rd of June) that makes iCloud Drive a possibility for Scrivener iOS Syncing. I know Keith wants it to happen, but he doesn’t want to compromise on Scrivener’s special package format (and I don’t want him as the developer to do that as well, the Scrivener package is one of the reasons we have most of those typical Scrivener-advantages that no other software has). On the other hand, I’m not going to lie, I’m really thinking of trying to quit Dropbox as much as I can, and going to iCloud Drive and it has already made me use Highland 2 more as a screenwriting package. (Both Scrivener and Highland 2 are great software packages that can work in tandem and both have different advantages and disadvantages)

I admit that I never quite understand why the current iCloud sync paradigm is such a bad fit for Scrivener — its “bundle of files” format is in fact comparable to other apps like Ulysses (although admittedly somewhat more complicated) and the overall complexity isn’t much different from some of Apple’s own apps such as Keynote which have achieved remarkably good syncing in recent versions.

Having said that, I certainly understand that “syncing is hard” and getting it running on iCloud may be more effort than Keith and others at L&L want to put in — that is a perfectly legit response to this!

(After all, syncing is essentially cache invalidation, which we all know is one of the two hard problems in computer science. :wink: )

That’s a fun twitter thread :smiley:

Dropbox keeps getting worse. More memory usage in the desktop app. Higher prices for less storage. Scrivener is still the sole reason I’m tied to Dropbox. It’s a bummer.

It doesn’t change the fact that it’s the only widely-used sync engine that doesn’t corrupt Scrivener documents unless the user somehow uses it incorrectly.

In my experience Dropbox does not ”keep getting worse”. In nobody’s experience is Dropbox offering ”higher prices for less storage”.

I have Dropbox Plus. My subscription renewed 10 days ago. Dropbox emailed me to say that when I renewed in June 2020 it would cost me $20 more. They also told me that from right now my storage has increased from 1 to 2 Tb. I also have Rewind and some other bonus features.

Since I had filled 80+% of my space this struck me as an improvement. I completely accept that if you have more than 2Gb in your Scrivener folder and this is the only reason that you use Dropbox you might lose out, but that strikes me as unlikely. Not impossible but unlikely.

I have two folders: Scrivener and Scrivener-archived. I move projects between the two according to which I need available on my iPad at the moment. At no point does it make sense for the Scrivener folder to be bigger than 64Mg because otherwise the iPad will choke on it.

For me at least Scrivener and Dropbox are both fine products that work together very well.

More likely than you imagine, I suspect— if there are more people like me who had more than three devices and so were caught by the recent introduction of the 3 device limit. I have five… and decided that as I’d had the free service for a couple of million years it wouldn’t hurt me to pay it back by buying an annual licence and I didn’t fancy the faff of juggling 3 devices for Scrivener files.

Since then I’d added more to Dropbox because it’s there, but I’m still currently using only ~1% of my storage — of that 24GB, I need Dropbox for 10MB (the Scrivener files I currently work on)… every other file would sit quite happily in iCloud Drive (where I have a 200GB account). I don’t have to do anything about it till next April, but a cost of £80 for 10MB and a bit of convenience isn’t the best of bargains, really. I’d be surprised if I was the only one who moved up from a free account recently and and is now in a similar position

But an extra few quid on an annual licence isn’t really the problem, it’s also the direction the company seems to be going in: it seems to want to become a huge enterprise all in one solution rather than a single synch solution — I don’t even understand what half the new features are… Wonderful for people who need that sort of thing (though plenty of experienced professional users don’t seem convinced), but it’s not for me. If they offered a lower tier service for a more reasonable cost, fine, but at the moment I think I’ll drop it at the end of the current subscription.

I do understand users’ frustration with Dropbox and the reduction in the number of computers you are allowed. Unfortunately, we have two big issues with iCloud:

1. It’s no good for our Windows version.

2. I would have to rewrite Scrivener from the ground up to support it. iCloud does support file packages - although I’m not sure how it would handle those of Scrivener’s complexity and potential size - but not the way Scrivener does them. And almost everything in Scrivener is built on its file handling. So it’s not something that can ever just be patched in - I’d need to take the very core of Scrivener apart and start again.

I’m not saying (2) is never going to happen - but it’s not something that could be done in a few months.

All the best,
Keith

You could take it as a vote of confidence that I forked out the £80 for this year’s Dropbox just for the Scrivener integration… :smiley: