NiaD 8: Live and Let NiaD

Yours too? Hahaha.

Ugh. I’m going to be late.

Not excuses but I have a scene that requires a lot of research (for me) and I’m rusty so my writing is achingly slow. I also very rarely write first-person so that’s throwing me for a loop.

Anyway, know that I’m going as fast as I can but may be the last straggler tonight. :open_mouth:

Chicago in February? Any scene in its right mind would be inside in a room!!

Mine takes place in May. :stuck_out_tongue: Much warmer!

Just submitted! I loved the experience. I knew romcoms are a snowballing deal these days, and I’m glad I got to be part of the movement :smiley:

Done. And I even managed to sleep this year. :smiley:

OMG it does not get easier as we go have just finished going to have cup tea and go over it then sending it in. It challenges when you change POV but loved every minute and got to listen to music with earphones, might have annoyed hubby sung out few times lol.

Thank you Rog for all your hard work not sure what we would do with out this every year.

I’ve just submitted! I didn’t in the end have very much detail about Chicago in it. I started out trying to do some background but it became clear that for my chapter - and how I imagined writing it - that lots of specific Chicago references would feel unnecessarily shoehorned in. I resisted the urge to include an educational digression about bundled tubes - one of my writing vices is discovering a fact that I think is interestng[*] nd passing it on.

This has been a fun writing exercise though!

[*] Others may disagree with the kind of things I find interesting!

Hi Rog aka pigfender

I’ve sent you the chapter. It went around 18.30 UK time. So, not too bad considering…
I hope it’s okay.
I wrote it longhand but used Scrivener to write 2nd and 3rd drafts before compiling.

Maybe writing longhand is the secret to finishing writing a book. I find that when I write on a computer, I can spend hours choosing a font and then, of course, Windows insists on doing all those updates. And then there’s all that natural procrastination.
I started writing a song about procrastination about 3 years ago, but haven’t finished it yet! :slight_smile:

PS I envy all of you who live in Chicago and didn’t have to spend half the night watching YouTube videos and reading maps. However, I did discover that my favourite Seurat painting is in the Chicago Institute of Art, and there are some spectacular libraries in the university. I stuck all of these in my story, but only referred to the wind once. I expect that the Windy City is a bit too much of a cliché!

Done and submitted. It’s only 3 in the afternoon, but I now want a nap. LOL

This was a lot of fun!

Mine is not in February. :slight_smile:

Mine, too! Our scenes must be near each other.

Is anyone else really excited to read this thing? From my brief and the snippets of conversation we’ve had going on for the past 19 hours, it sounds as if it’s going to be a fun one to read.

Submitted…and now I’m gonna cross my fingers and go huddle in the recliner…

:mrgreen:

To all you lot who’ve finished before the deadline: how? Don’t you have to sleep, or eat, or walk the cat? :unamused:

Just sent it Rog going to eat now :smiley:

Any preference for file title format?

ETA: Never mind. I’ve titled it and I’m winging it on its way to you.

Done, and sent. A lot of fun, though I may have wandered somewhat outside my brief. Apologies in advance to anyone on whose toes I may have inadvertently trampled.

Sent mine in.

But of course now I’m questioning the whole thing.

Especially the weather since it was mentioned so much. LOL. I blew that.

Omg! That was such a blast… an insane and unbelievable blast, but a blast nonetheless.

I must admit I’m a little proud of myself for the accomplishment of writing the ~4k words I did. It’d been a long time since I’ve written anything (fiction) and I’ve been trying to get back into the swing of it. This was the perfect exercise. That and there’s also the super cool aspect of getting to produce something with other people who are all contributing in the same but uniquely personalized way.

Suffice to say, I’d love to do this a second time next year.