NiaD 8: Live and Let NiaD

We’ll only have the chapter name and your author byline.

Understood, thank you. I’m about halfway through!

First draft all done. Now, I’m going to take an hour break, and that will leave me three hours for editing. (Hopefully, it will only take me one!)

Sorry to all writers, I didn’t mean to cause a curfuffle with my early submission, I just have a flight to get on and didn’t want miss the deadline!

Done!

This was fun and challenging, as always. Now to look back and see who else has finished. I know I’m not first, but there’s always the chance of a car accident. I can do better next time around…

I’ve finished. Just need to go through and edit the chapter and check some Chicago references.

Spent an hour in middle of the night watching YouTube videos about Chicago. I didn’t use many of them but it was necessary research. sigh.

As I was working for part of the day, I wrote my first draft in longhand from about 6am until 7.45am. This is a big deal as I am NOT a morning person.

What I want to know is, if I can do this, why can’t I finish writing my novels?
Answer: not enough planning and too much procrastination.
Having a deadline helps but am trying not to get too stressed!
:open_mouth:

I felt a bit like a cheater. I lived in the Chicago area for ten years, and was actually writing my chapter from my Sister’s house in Indianapolis. I had quite the head start.

I’ve finally submitted my chapter too! It’s obviously about a sex scene right?

Just kidding. Although it could have gone that way down the slippery slope.

I had to Google to check the weather. I hope I didn’t get that part wrong…

It’s 4:20am local time, and I submitted about 10 minutes ago.
Pigfender has now confirmed it was delivered safely and I can go to bed.
:smiley:

I was lucky. My whole scene took place inside a room. No knowledge of Chicago needed.

Weren’t they all? I thought that was the genre.

Yours too? Hahaha.

Ugh. I’m going to be late.

Not excuses but I have a scene that requires a lot of research (for me) and I’m rusty so my writing is achingly slow. I also very rarely write first-person so that’s throwing me for a loop.

Anyway, know that I’m going as fast as I can but may be the last straggler tonight. :open_mouth:

Chicago in February? Any scene in its right mind would be inside in a room!!

Mine takes place in May. :stuck_out_tongue: Much warmer!

Just submitted! I loved the experience. I knew romcoms are a snowballing deal these days, and I’m glad I got to be part of the movement :smiley:

Done. And I even managed to sleep this year. :smiley:

OMG it does not get easier as we go have just finished going to have cup tea and go over it then sending it in. It challenges when you change POV but loved every minute and got to listen to music with earphones, might have annoyed hubby sung out few times lol.

Thank you Rog for all your hard work not sure what we would do with out this every year.

I’ve just submitted! I didn’t in the end have very much detail about Chicago in it. I started out trying to do some background but it became clear that for my chapter - and how I imagined writing it - that lots of specific Chicago references would feel unnecessarily shoehorned in. I resisted the urge to include an educational digression about bundled tubes - one of my writing vices is discovering a fact that I think is interestng[*] nd passing it on.

This has been a fun writing exercise though!

[*] Others may disagree with the kind of things I find interesting!