[LH3195] Unable to delete comments

I just discovered what may be a bug in this beta…

Whenever I delete a comment, either by clicking on the X in the corner or on the “-” up above, the comment disappears. But the minute I start typing again, anywhere in the document, the comment reappears, even if I save the project.

Oddly, if I close the project and reopen it, the comments are gone. I don’t know if this is a bug, or by design, but I thought I should report it (If it hasn’t been already).

Pam

Apparently, this was fixed in beta 7. It’s no longer doing it.

Thanks

Pam

EDIT: I was premature in this report. The problem still exists on the new release.

I’m actually still having this issue and was going to come post a bug report about it when I saw yours. I’ve been trying to delete a comment and every few minutes I look and its back. So far it’s just one of about 6 comments that I’ve deleted that keeps reappearing.

It’s still doing it on mine too. I was premature in reporting that it had been corrected in the latest beta. This looks like a bug to me.

Pam

Hello! Yes, others have reported this as well and we are trying to get to the bottom of it. Does this occur for you frequently or only occasionally?

Hi guys, can you please upload your project as an archive only with the document showing the issue and a note about the comment which fails deleting. Some instructions about the steps you do are also welcome. We still cannot reproduce this bug and hopefully your project will help us. Many thanks for helping us make Scrivener v3 better.

It appears to be only happening in a project that I converted from Scrivener 1.9 to the 3.0 Beta, and only with notes that were created prior to the conversion. If I create new notes in the converted project, the problem does not exist, nor does it exist in a document created in 3.0 Beta.

I hope this helps.

Pam

I’m not sure how to do that but I will gladly do so if you tel lme how! It’s still doing it for me and had done it with more comments than just the one I mentioned above.

Hi All, to archive your project easiest would be to use File > Back Up > Back Up To and selecting the ZIP archive option. Please, upload the generated ZIP archive within this forum thread. Many thanks for your help, guys!

[quote=“tiho_d”]
Hi All, to archive your project easiest would be to use File > Back Up > Back Up To and selecting the ZIP archive option. Please, upload the generated ZIP archive within this forum thread. Many thanks for your help, guys![/quote

I just tried and it says it’s too large a document. It is a 100,000 word project so… is there another way to get it to you?

Hi IvyNelson, you can share the archived project via Dropbox, Google Drive or any other file sharing service you feel comfortable using. Unfortunately the forum has a limitation on attachment file sizes.

It’s probably unnecessary to see the entire project; you might try to use Save As to create a copy, then trim down the copy to just a few of the documents that demonstrate the problem. So long as the reduced sample still reproduces the issue, that’s all we need.

You can also upload and send the link to win3beta@literatureandlatte.com rather than posting on the forum if you prefer to keep the project private. Please just reference this forum thread in the email. Thanks!

Jennifer,

You may not have seen my earlier comment in which I had discovered that the problem only exists with comments that were entered in projects created in version 1.9 and then saved as 3.0 projects. Comments entered after the project was converted and saved in 3.0 are no problem, only the ones that were carried over from 1.9.

Pam

Hi Pampurrs, I tested several upgraded projects with Inspector notes. Unfortunately I still cannot reproduce the issue. It would be great if some of you could upload a small project with one document showing the issue. Many Thanks!

I was having a similar issue and did some testing. The problem showed up in a project I imported from 1.9, I then reproduced it in a new Scriv 3 beta project. Here’s what I did:

Created a new blank project
Created several files in the project and pasted text into them

File 1 test:
Select a paragraph and add a comment to it
Select another paragraph somewhere else and add a comment to it
Go back to the first paragraph and select the commented paragraph and the next two paragraphs
Extend the comment to all 3 paragraphs
Remove the comment
The comment is removed from the last two paragraphs it was added to, not the first paragraph
Delete the comment from the first paragraph; the comment disappears, but the text remains highlighted, and when I click to another file in the other editor and come back to the first one, the comment is back

File 2 test:
Selected several paragraphs and added a comment
Selected several other paragraphs and added a comment
Deleted first comment; highlighting was removed from all but first paragraph and comment disappeared
Clicked to another file in the right hand editor, then back to the left editor, the comment is back

File 3 test:
Selected a single word and added a comment
Selected a single word in another paragraph and added a comment
Deleted first comment; it was successfully deleted
Deleted second comment, it was successfully deleted

The comments that wouldn’t delete persist after closing and opening the project.

Workaround: If you delete the paragraph that won’t lose its comment, then Control-Shift-V to paste it back, it comes back with no comment, but the comment text at the end of the paragraph, which you can then delete.

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you want me to upload the project.

Reproduced here.

Also: Something a bit strange. I tried simply adding a comment, adding a comment, and then deleting the first one. This does work, but if you mouse over the area around where the comment WAS, you’ll get some popups around the mouse about a comment. So Scrivener is hanging onto the old highlighting, somehow, which tells me not all the info about the comment object has been removed.

But… if you follow the above method to reproduce the comment deletion problem (expanding to cover larger area), you will also see the popups as you mouse over the area where the comment WAS attached. I made a video so you can see the return of the deleted comment, and the mouseover popups.

Video link https://drive.google.com/open?id=176GwHh5b7ydZopXQtqbcZTWGO7y5EXY7

Thanks very much, all! I’ve also been able to reproduce this and some similar cases, so hopefully we’ll be able to get it tracked down and fixed quickly.