[LH2738] [BB] Learn Spelling function failing, Option > Apply crashes Scrivener.

Windows 10, Version: 2.9.0.2 Beta (50498) 64-bit

When I add new words using the Learn Spelling function into my project, although these appear in the Options > Corrections > View personal word list, they disappear after closing Scrivener. Also if I hit Apply button in the Options window (hoping to force save the list), Scrivener crashes.

My goal is to copy my personal wordlist from version 1.97. The only way I found to do this has been to put the words from wordlists.ini into a new file in my project (eg under Research or wherever), then to hit Learn Spelling (or Ctrl-G -L) on each word with the red correction underline. Again, they all show up in View personal word list, but the list disappears upon restarting Scrivener and each word is again flagged as a misspell.

Any suggestions?

Hello. Thanks for bringing this up. The issue of Learn Spelling not working is known to us and has been filed, but the problem you mention of Scrivener crashing while in Options has not been reported before.

Is this something you have encountered frequently and/or can replicate? I was unable to reproduce it in testing. Can you remember any of the circumstances that led up to the crash? Large project vs Small Project, many files, inspector open/closed, other changes you made to Options, etc.?

Thank you for your help with this.

Hello
I am working on a fairly large project (snapshot below of project folder details) and have this synced via Dropbox to my PC and to my laptop, both Win10. I have brought this across from ver 1.97 and have set up the new version in separate locations for data, backup and program (64 bit). I have just run tests and, on both computers, if I go into File > Options and click OK or hit the Enter key, Scrivener crashes instantly. Other than that, it is working very well. Let me know if you need any more info.
cheers

Scriv.jpg

… OK, something I missed - the crash only occurs when Inspector is open.

Interesting. Would you mind sending a copy of your project to the following address so we can take a look at it and see if anything else might be causing this crash? Please email it to: win3beta@literatureandlatte.com Also please use the Subject line “BETA” and link to this forum post.

Thank you for your help. We certainly don’t want your program crashing on you!

Hi Bryan
Sorry but I’m not prepared to release my project files. Happy to assist in any other way.

I have messaged you by email.

I have had the same problem of Learned Words not being saved (as mentioned - known problem), and I tried a variety of methods to get them to save using Apply, using Save, going to different tabs and coming back, closing the project, etc. The reason I am commented now is that I have been playing around with this a lot for the last two hours (however, only in one project), and I have had no issue associated with it crashing. So it might be project or platform-specific.

That’s fine. We’ll just start by asking you a series of questions to help narrow this down.

• Does this crash only occur after copying in your word list from 1.9.7?

• Does the crash only happen when a certain project is open? i.e. can you reproduce it in a new blank project without ever opening the project that previously crashed? (Holding the Shift key while launching Scrivener will prevent it automatically loading the last project)

• If the crash is specific to the one project, a) ensure there is a backup of the project, then b) open the File menu and hold the Alt key to select Close Project and Clear Interface Settings, and click OK to the message. Then reopen the project, open the inspector, and see if the Options crash reproduces.

• Does this crash occur after resetting options to default? If so, can you then start changing settings and applying them successfully?

*If not, can you either send us the options you have selected during the crash or give us a detailed list of them? (You can due this through the “Manage” button in the options pane and save them as a file. It’s possible one or more of them in combination may be causing the issue.

Thank you for your help in figuring this out!

• Does this crash only occur after copying in your word list from 1.9.7?
    Nope. I open my main project, go to options, hit the Enter key and it crashes (Inspector open).

• Does the crash only happen when a certain project is open? i.e. can you reproduce it in a new blank project without ever opening the project that previously crashed? (Holding the Shift key while launching Scrivener will prevent it automatically loading the last project)
    Creating a fresh blank project - crash from options with Inspector open. Same behaviour

• If the crash is specific to the one project, a) ensure there is a backup of the project, then b) open the File menu and hold the Alt key to select Close Project and Clear Interface Settings, and click OK to the message. Then reopen the project, open the inspector, and see if the Options crash reproduces.
    Does not crash

• Does this crash occur after resetting options to default? If so, can you then start changing settings and applying them successfully?
    Does not crash when resetting options to default.

*If not, can you either send us the options you have selected during the crash or give us a detailed list of them? (You can due this through the “Manage” button in the options pane and save them as a file. It’s possible one or more of them in combination may be causing the issue.
Pretty well nailed it to my settings and most likely under the Appearance tab. I have not had the time to go through each one and test all fonts and colours etc but have sent you a copy of the saved settings file.

Note that after loading and overwriting the default settings, the program needs to be closed and restarted before the symptom appears.