Smart dashes and Ellipses

I don’t suppose there’s any chance of getting those options unbundled again? I miss the granularity of Scriv 2 since I like ellipses but not the smart dashes (granted that’s maybe a pretty niche preference).

Edit1 : forgot a word
Edit 2: forgot a letter in that word DOH

These options weren’t actually unbundled in Scrivener 2 either - that was a bug in Scrivener 2. What happened is that aeons ago, Scrivener had its own code for smart dashes and ellipses. Then Apple introduced smart dashes, so Scrivener moved to using Apple’s code. Then Apple introduced smart ellipses, but bundled it with the smart dashes. So for the past few years in Scrivener 2, turning off smart ellipses did nothing because smart dashes controlled both. Hence there’s a single option in Scriv 3 for these, since that’s just how Apple has it working. (I asked Apple to separate the options and they just said that’s how it’s supposed to work.)

All the best,
Keith

You prefer typing three full stops and letting the system make the conversion?

I expect you know that option semi-colon produces an ellipsis throughout macOS …

Or you can create your own replacement in  > System Preferences > Keyboard > Text > Replace / With

Fair enough. I can turn them on for typing and then project replace them back out later.

^ That probably seems an odd thing to do, so a quick explanation:

Due to the nature of what I’m typing I sometimes have to get “creative” with grammar and this results in a fair few ellipses and dashes.

My workflow is probably unique in that I split all my documents at the paragraph level (typically less than 200 words) and then copy all those paragraphs into their respective synopses so that I can use the outliner to get a full text CSV export with all the metadata.

When loaded into Excel, the smart dashes and ellipses don’t display correctly - that’s due to the encoding, but IIRC I couldn’t change the encoding because then the CSV didn’t import into Aeon Timeline correctly (or something like that, it’s been a while…)

So while I could just turn smart dashes and ellipses off - apparently I’m a lazy typist and I really depend on Fix Capitalization of Sentences, and without the smart ellipses way too many things get capitalized. :laughing:

I already project replace the ellipses out of the synopses, I can do the same for the dashes.

Like i said, “pretty niche”. :wink: :mrgreen:

Now that one I didn’t know. I don’t think it helps in this particular situation, but I’ll definitely keep it in mind. Thanks

Paint me shocked. I’ve read the forum for years. Know how knowledgable you are.

I’m partial to an option shift hypen em dash —

And have got used to typing curly quotes as needed:

Left single: option ]
Right single (and apostrophe): option shift ]

Left double: option [
Right double: option shift [