iPad air, mini or pro?

Thanks so much for all this guys! After some consideration I don’t think portability can ever be seriously achieved with a mechanical keyboard as Katherine states. I think I’m just going to settle with the future of keyboards…razor thin and error friendly!

Brett-- I have bookmarked the razor keyboard for reference. It’s about the closest thing I want. I use an iPod to type my documents but should I decide to get an iPad your device will surely be on my list.

Has anyone tried this keyboard? http://matias.ca/quietpro/

I think the noisiness of mechanical keyboard is their greatest weakness. Also, the keyboard’s aren’t Bluetooth so I can’t use them on an iOS device.

So I guess from all this here’s what ultimately I’m trying to find:

A mechanical keyboard that:

1. Is portable, like the razer Brett referenced
  2. Is quiet, like the keyboard I just referenced in this post
  3. Can be thrown in a backpack without being damaged (it should have some kind of cover)
  4. Can be used for any tablet, phone, or iPod.

I know, I know, I’m being picky, but I’m just throwing it out there, in case someone fishes it out of the waters of cyberspace.

I had a Matias Tactile (not Quiet) Pro and a small condo some years back, until my wife understandably threatened divorce. It was REALLY clacky and she could hear it in another room even with the door closed. But actually the problem was switching back and forth between my PowerBook (or iBook, I forget which) keyboard and the Matias at home. Typos proliferated each time until my muscle memory readjusted. That wouldn’t happen if the mechanical keyboard were your only one, of course, and might not even if it were, but it didn’t work for me.

Since then I’ve been happily using the thin ones, including this extremely skinny Logitech Keys to Go with my iPad Pro. It’s extremely quiet (fabric covered keys) and light and takes up virtually no space in my bag. Got it refurbed for $14, I think.

Coincidentally, this review of the Razer just appeared.

I’ve just got the Razer keyboard. I’m still assessing it, but I think when I get used to it, I’ll like it. It’s got that definite mechanical click and the action seems nice and light. Some slight differences to the standard keyboard layout, but I’m sure I’ll adjust to them.

I’ll report back further when I’ve used it a bit more.

Sadly, I think I’m going to have to return the Razer keyboard. :frowning:

The key action is wonderful, but the keyboard layout issues are just too much for me. The positioning of the navigation keys in relation to the right hand shift key is just too awkward for my hands and even after just a short typing session it causes a lot of discomfort when I have to reach for the shift with my right little finger. I also keep hitting the up arrow key or the forward slash on a regular basis when I want a capital.

The Razer is a lovely piece of kit, and maybe for somebody with larger hands and longer little fingers it might be just the ticket, but my hands are small and my little fingers are weirdly shorter than I’d realised. :open_mouth:

So it’s back to my Zagg Slimbook. Weighs a ton, and the key action isn’t as light as the Razer, but the layout is much more comfortable and mirrors the layout of my Macbook. I’ve got the Smart keyboard too, which is okay in an emergency but with a heavier key action, no backlight and no choice of angles.

A couple of questions portiacosta:

1. Is the experience of using the Razer keyboard a loud experience compared to say the experience on old macbook?
  2. Is there any way to remove the keys, without violating warranties? On traditional mechanical keyboards, it’s rather easy to remove the keycaps? The thing is, I type with a dvorak configuration from a hand injury, so I need to swap keys.
  3. Isnt’ the zagg slimbook, one of those foldable mini keyboards? Why should it weigh a ton? Unless I’m mistaking the product you are referring to.

Hi!

No, the Razer keyboard isn’t particularly loud. Bit of a clickety click, but not deafening. Wouldn’t say it was much, if any louder than a Macbook. A different sort of sound.

No idea whether taking the keys off invalidates the warranty. At a guess, I say probably. There’s nothing in the documentation about converting to Dvorak. Maybe you could contact Razer from their web site?

The Zagg doesn’t fold. The keyboard itself is one solid piece, plus a plastic back case for Ipad and it’s very heavy. Over 2 lb when attached to Ipad.

HTH

hi portiadcosta,

many thanks for your response. so I guess it’s a quiet mechanical keyboard then.

Can one use the keyboard for other iOS devices or is it strictly an accessory to an iPad pro 12.9?

I will contact razor for other needs, but many thanks for your response!

I think I read somewhere that it can be paired with other iPads etc. It’s Bluetooth, so doesn’t rely on the Smart connector and can be used ‘unattached’ to the case that fits on the back of the iPad Pro. I must say, the kickstand is a useful feature of the Razer case.

HTH

I use an older Apple keyboard, external, blue tooth. Works on two double AAs and just works dandy.

I too used to use my old apple wireless keyboard, in its Incase Origami keyboard case/stand, with my iPad Pro. It’s my regular Mac keyboard when I have it hooked up to my display. But I switched to the Logitech keys to go because it was much thinner, quieter, cheap ($14), and unlike the Apple board, didn’t cause the emoji screen to pop up when I hit the FN key. On the other hand, the FN key on the KTG will sometimes cause a freeze, so I have to switch out of whatever app I’m using and back. So, no forward deleting for me!
update A software update fixed this forward delete problem a few days later. Happily using the KTG for a year now with first the iPad Mini 2 and lately the iPad Pro 9.7.

I have the same problem. I bought a nice, little, lightweight, foldable keyboard from “supremery”, that has the same idiotic layout: the shift key is far to the right, behind the arrow keys. There is a huge minus-key that looks just like it’s made for shift. It’s impossible to type tenfingered on that keyboard, so I’ll return it.
Does anybody know a foldable keyboard where you can type on?

The belkin I’m using is good when it actually works. It’s tiny though. And I’m not sure I understand this shift key business but so far so good

m.belkin.com/us/p/P-F5L175/

Haven’t purchased it yet, but I am considering this one from Perixx.

amazon.com/Perixx-Bluetooth … p_asin_lnk

Be aware as you read the reviews, as is typical for Amazon, they lumped the reviews for a few different products together. You want to be sure you are reading the ones for the latest keyboard, as earlier models had flaws (like the shift key being in the wrong place). Also, there is a keyboard specifically for iPad/iPhone (white one), and a different one for Windows (black one I think).

This excellent review discusses one customer’s experience with a few of the Perixx models, including the latest one:

amazon.com/gp/customer-revi … B00JXI94IE

Not foldable but still extremely portable (I’ve put it in a jacket inside pocket): techcrunch.com/2014/11/14/logit … long-term/.
There’s a new red one available for $24 on Amazon US right now , and a black refurb there for $22.

I wish someone made a dvorak keyboard for people like me with hand injuries…if someone knows, please speak up.

Uh – on Amazon, there’s a Dvorak keys cover for the Apple Magic Keyboard. Would that help?

smile.amazon.com/KB-Covers-DV-M … rds=dvorak

I wish I knew about this BEFORE I rewrote on my magic keyboard all the keys with a permanent marker! thanks for this.

Still, it’s not ideal as I’d be typing on silicone, and not on a regular keyboard.

:open_mouth: ok, then. There are sets of Dvorak key cap stickers as well. Search for “Dvorak keyboard” on Amazon and you’ll find them priced at $4.99 USD. I have no idea how the feel is, nor yet how well they would fit your Belkin but it’s not a huge investment and wouldn’t permanently change your keyboard.