Help! Downloaded update now Scrivener won't load

Tricia, just a suggestion: If you have important work that needs doing and don’t have time to wait for support perhaps you might be able to reinstall an older version of Scrivener. If you still have the installer for the previous version you should be able to uninstall 1.9.5, install the older version and pick up where you left off.

If you don’t have the installer for the previous version it might be available for download somewhere on the Literature and Latte site. I haven’t looked but many software vendors do offer older versions for download for just these kind of problems. Worth a shot.

Cheers

Mick

Hi Mick - wasn’t sure if i could do that - worth a try I guess. But I’ll lose a lot of my settings that way. My email’s working again now (big outtage on BT too this morning!) so I have just emailed them and got the same automated response as you. I’ll wait and just see if they respond. I can get into the project - albeit blurred and by a convoluted way through using compatibility settings so I’ll soldier on!

Guys, I am not sure that it will help, but please try to stop your Antivirus software, and run Scrivener again. There are cases where the Antivirus software has no history of a new app and simply will reject starting it. As I said, I am not sure if this will help, but does not hurt giving it a try.

Thanks. I did try stopping the firewall which made no difference. Windows is seeing Scrivener as an incompatible programme so whether that’s causing this? But then why aren’t there more people experiencing this issue?

Can anyone please help? Today my Chrome browser wouldn’t launch either. That’s the first time that’s happened. I’m guessing it’s linked?
Getting so frustrated!

I have downloaded new update for Windows 7. Initially, it took hours of attempts to open. Thought I had lost 60,000 words of novel!
Finally, after 24 hours I got it to load, but much slower access for new input. Now, every time it loads, it always loads up with WRONG FONT. It loads up Source Sans Pro Extra Light instead of HELVETICA. I can hardly see the text! I have tried to copy the Project and paste into a new Project name, but the same things happen. I tried COPY & PASTE for each individual page but it is taking forever. Then when it SAVES or BACKUP. it reverts back to Source Sans Pro Extra Light. It is extremely frstrating and time wasting. I only have 2 hours each day to work my Project, but that time is now spent trying unsuccessfully to use HELVETICA.

That does sound very frustrating! When I do manage to open Scrivener (through the Windows compatibility temporary workaround mentioned above) mine is still on Times New Roman which is what I had it on but it’s very blurred now - as if I’m wearing the wrong glasses. My PC crashed (no idea why…only bought it this year) with a ‘critical process died’ bluescreen today. And when i put it on again Chrome was working, but Scrivener still wasn’t…

I’m also having this problem. Windows 10 here, across multiple computers.

I’ve tried their recommended compatibility fixes, and also fully uninstalled and reinstalled, and cannot get it to load except randomly. Maybe one in 50 attempts work.

Hi

I got a reply from Jeff at tech support which I’ll share here in the hope of helping other frustrated users!

It suggested using the compatibility settings workaround I’d been using to get into the program. (Right click on Scrivener icon, go to Properties then to ‘compatibility tab’ and run the troubleshooter. Click on test the program, which opens it and then say the settings worked.)

And this info below for the blurriness. However, I don’t understand why Scrivener would have sacrificed the display which was great before for an update which is not going to help all Windows users. I don’t own an ipad or iphone and so the sync function is useless for me. I’d much rather have kept the older version and wish I’d had that option presented, before downloading.

I updated Scrivener, too and got the same results.

I even uninstalled the program and re-downloaded the trial version(to use my serial name/number on) only for it still not to open.

Same here - have now pretty much lost an evening of writing due to (stupidly) accepting the update suggestion earlier. Program will not now load - have tried restarting & reinstalling multiple times, and compatability check didn’t help either. Really annoyed that I did this, as no particular problems with 1.9 and I’ve got work to do (you know, writing for a living and all that?). Sounds like the update (if it runs) then messes up the display anyway - I only use Windows on PC, so why do I care if it runs on a smartphone?

I’ve loved working with Scrivener up until today - please sort this out, guys!

Having problems to after upgrade it keeps freezing and saying not responding at the top, and that’s when I can even get scrivener to open. Update is horrible!

Thank you so much for sharing what Jeff told you, Tricia. I’ve done this and now Scrivener works.

I read several of these posts across the forum over the last few days since the update rolled out. But I am yet to see a single reply from the twelve moderators or techs.

I used to trust Scrivener updates and installed them straightaway. But now, having experienced similar problems in the past, I hold back. Time should be taken by the developer to iron these glitches out before updates are released. I have my own work to do, deadlines to meet, and don’t have time to be a beta-tester for software developers. I guess many out there are the same.

Yes - I do think there should have been more public response to these problems…was glad to get the tech support reply though and glad that’s helped others. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info!!

I tried doing this but sadly, it hasn’t worked for me. Still not opening :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

EDIT: I opened it via troubleshooter etc but when I try to TEST, it doesn’t open. It prompts me to give permission to make changes which I say YES to and then that’s it…nada.

As with others, I have downloaded and installed the update when prompted today. When I try to open it, it shows in my background processes in Task Manager, but will not open. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times. I have also tried running the compatibility tool without success. Nothing I do will make it open.

When I tried opening Scrivener from the book’s file (as I often do), I get the following error message:

Things I have tried:

• Rebooting my computer.
  • Installing from Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and the Microsoft Edge browsers in case the browsers were somehow corrupting the install file. (I uninstalled between each installation, just to be sure.)
  • Ran the compatibility tool several times, each with different settings, including the recommended settings.
  • Tried running the program as administrator.

Thankfully, I have a copy of the install executable for Scrivener v1.9.0.0 for Windows. If anyone needs it, you can download it here:

http://elhrodin.com/Scrivener-installer.exe

I hope this helps until this gets fixed.

The canonical source is our site, here:
literatureandlatte.com/scriv … taller.exe

For future reference, the immediately previous version of Scrivener is generally available via the Release Notes page for the platform of interest.

HOWEVER, please note that version 1.9 does NOT support syncing with Scrivener for iOS, if that matters to you.

Katherine

But 1.9. does not start either :frowning:
I uninstalled 1.9.5. and installed 1.9 - nothing happens.

Where can I find the version before 1.9?

You’ve saved the day! For now ha ha. I can finally start working again. Thanks! :smiley: