Scrivener Needs Urgent Updates

For the record, I had the same opinion as you on the iOS (not iPad) version. I can tell you from first hand knowledge, that you are likely change your tune if you give the IOS version a try once it is publicly available.

I am always open to change my opinion! I sure will try Scrivener for iPad, and see…
Have a nice day.

Who’s being immature here? I don’t recall the poster you’re quoting as having implied anyone is a trained seal the way you have repeatedly done.

You ever made a positive post Sanguinius? No… Thought not. I truly believe you’d argue with yourself as you passed a mirror.

I’m curious what your deal is. Truly. If you go through my posting history, you’ll notice that I very rarely delve into the negative, and those instances typically only occur when someone is being unnecessarily negative themselves. Meanwhile, in less than 20 posts, you’ve managed to insult multiple people, including myself. I never once maligned you in any way, yet you seem to have some sort of personal animosity towards me, and I can’t figure out why this is.

I’m also curious why such personal attacks are being condoned on this board. I thought this was supposed to be about people helping each other, not tearing each other down.

I didn’t want this thread to turn into a personal slagging match. For the record, I have no stake in Papyrus Author. I just used it as an example of alternatives to Scrivener. How about I say Final Draft, yWriter, Storyist to even the score.

Similarly, I am not a hater of Scrivener. I have used it now for almost two years. If I hated it, I would have given up on it ages ago.

My main point was really to highlight the lack of updates to known bugs. I don’t know if the developers are distracted with the iOS version or hoping we will shell out for a “new improved” Windows version. What I do know, is that the current WINDOWS version is flaky and needs fixing.

Please fix it. In particular, the Scrivenings display bug.

Grateful for the discussion, but please channel any extraneous hatred into your novels.

The temporary inattention of moderators should not be construed as an invitation to attack each other. Kindly go to your own corners and sit quietly until you have cooled off.

You can expect to see new versions of both WinScriv and MacScriv concurrent with the release of iOS Scriv, as all three are in private beta testing at the moment. I believe both WinScriv and MacScriv will be “point” releases, and free to existing users.

Katherine

I hate iPhones. Scrivener for iOS has me, a dedicated Windows user, strongly considering an iPhone as my next smartphone just to get Scrivener on my mobile device. (Don’t need an iPad, I have a Surface Pro.)

There are a couple of things going on here beneath the surface that may help you regain some patience (all errors here are mine):

1. The OS X version is developed solely by Keith. He wrote Scrivener v1, then Scrivener v2.
  2. At some point, a separate developer(s? think only one but could be wrong) made a deal to port/recreate as much as possible to a Windows version. That’s the Windows version 1.x you know and love and loathe today.
  3. As an aside, the Windows version is not a native Windows app, it is built off the Qt (v4 I believe) cross-platform framework. This provides a bunch of functionality closer to some of the native system functions Scrivener for Mac is built on, much closer than what Windows provides, and also allowed relatively easy targeting of the Linux platform. From what I understand, it also made the porting a bit easier, even though Qt and Windows and Mac all use different variants and extensions of C/C++.
  4. Keith has been hip-deep in massive rewrites for Scrivener for Mac version 3, but a lot of that was bound up in working with the Windows developer to allow THEM to code toward the new design for Scrivener 3 instead of playing 5-7 years worth of catch-up to Scrivener Mac v2 and then have to turn around and throw a large chunk of it out and start over. This means there will be no Windows v2 – just Windows v3, although not released at the same time as Mac v3.
  5. Keith had to take a break from the Mac version to get the iOS version in order. Now that it’s in beta and going smoothly, he’s been able to get traction going on the Mac v3 as well.
  6. In the meantime, the Windows dev is busily working on Windows v3 (which includes upgrading to Qt v5, which helps future-proof the Windows side of the code). Although as far as I know no one has stated it, it seems to be that only mandatory fixes are being rolled out for 1.9 (and 1.9 was presented as the last update for a while). By “mandatory” I mean “destroys data” or “is necessary for other work going on (eg compatibility with Scrivener iOS).”

Still with me? <WHEW!>

Short form: Keith working on Scrivener iOS is not distracting the Windows guy. It’s just there’s a LOT of work for one set of hands, and those hands can be fixing bugs in legacy 1.9, or bridging the gap with the forthcoming v3. Given all the goodies they are talking about for v3, and how often users on the forums ask for those features…well, I for one am fine with the priority list. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks Devin, for taking the time to fill us in on the potted (and somewhat potty) history of Scrivener development. Let’s hope the V3 engine is more reliable in revving out them hi-octane words.

I was ready to dump the iPhone. Sick. And. Tired. Of. Dumb A$$ UI.* But now I’m stuck. Looks like I’ll be using it for the foreseeable future.

DAMN YOU KB!!!

[size=85]Bought my wife an andriod. Hate it just as much. Except with her phone the UI is just to … complicated. iPhone gets “use it” right, but the underlying openness wrong. Android is too far the other way for me.[/size]

If you hate iPhones… Why not just grab an iPad Air, pro, mini, iPod touch, with data plan, or if you already have a data plan for your current fav phone, just grab the wifi versions for a cheaper cost, and use your phone as an instant wifi hotspot, to connect your iDevice while on the go? Added benefit of connecting to wifi, when home or at coffee shops or heck even McDonalds in someplace, and connect for free. Well, relatively free, you’re already paying for home internet, so it’s just piggybacking a connection already available to you. And while at coffee shops, parks, restaurants with free wifi, all that tapping gotta make you thirsty, so there is that cost.

Or… Be honest with yourself, you secretly love the iPhone, you want the iPhone, you need the iPhone, you will grumble until you get it, about not wanting it, just like as a kid of not wanting to be dragged on the terrible family camping vacations every year, but the moment you get a free pass to not go, you’ll be gung-ho on the iPhone station wagon.

:wink:

I’ve actually be trying to lose mine for a few years, but there are always real reasons that I need to keep it around (mostly work crap). But now … I’m finding it much more satisfying to write now that there is less … work … around managing the process.

As to the other i* devices… I like simple. No charging. No worry about drop damage or water damage while fishing. Much easier to achieve i* free… except now KB has killed that plan.

DAMN YOU KB!!

I don’t need an iPad. I have a Surface Pro. My wife has a Surface Pro. My next machine will likely be a Surface Book. When my main device is both a laptop and a tablet, I don’t need an iPad. I DESPISED iTunes and I don’t really like the Apple Store. I just don’t like Apple’s approach to a lot of software.

I have a iPhone for work, because it was either than or an Android. And I don’t trust Android to be secure. Apple is a hot mess, but not as big of a hot mess as Android is, because Apple controls the hardware AND software and doesn’t have to worry about fragmentation the way Android does.

The number of times I will have only my iPhone around to work on writing and not my Surface Pro is slim, but since I have to have an iPhone I might as well make a virtue of it.

Ah, I am enlightened :slight_smile: All perfectly understandable reasons :slight_smile: Especially since this is all about finding a way to work that works for Us as individuals. And when I tend to say iDevice, I tend to encompass all portable devices, Laptops, Tablets, readers, hybrids, heck even palm pilots lol

This one’s on-topic anyway. As a happy Windows touch user, will there be a difference between Mac v3 and iOS versions? and will the Apple/Window version files be backward or forward / platform compatible? Gotta get a new computer sometime.

Mac OS X and iOS are different platforms and will require different versions of Scrivener for the foreseeable future.

The current (Mac 2.7/Win 1.9) project format will be compatible with iOS 1.0 as well. No further changes to the project format are anticipated, but of course we don’t know what the future will bring. I would expect that the project format will always be compatible across whatever platforms are available at the time of release.

Katherine

I downloaded the trial version of Scrivener today and was/am planning to buy it, but I’m concerned about how some features haven’t been added to the Windows version after years. I read a blog post that mentioned how the program could set daily target goals and that was what attracted me to the software. The blog post mentioned that the Windows version of the software didn’t have that feature yet, but since the blog post was several years old I was hoping it would be implemented by now.

Does anyone know if there is an ETA on that specific feature or is the Windows version simply on the backburner? I don’t know if there’s any good alternatives to Scrivener, but I really wanted the target feature for my dissertation.

To quote from a previous message in this thread:

Short form: Keith working on Scrivener iOS is not distracting the Windows guy. It’s just there’s a LOT of work for one set of hands, and those hands can be fixing bugs in legacy 1.9, or bridging the gap with the forthcoming v3. Given all the goodies they are talking about for v3, and how often users on the forums ask for those features…well, I for one am fine with the priority list. Your mileage may vary.

No ETA has been announced for Scrivener for Windows 3.x.

Just go to Project>Project Targets. The box that pops up will let you fill in the target word count for the entire project as well as the session target. Both have a word meter.
There is also a target word count for just the document you are working on. If you look at the bottom right of the Scrivener screen, on the gray bar there is a circle. If you click on it, you can set your target for the document. As soon as you do, the word meter shows up. I often write in one document for the day. I copy and paste my work into the other files as needed.

Hope this helps.