Novel-in-a-Day 5: Go Set A NiaD

Okay so its the first year trying to write with a daughter… NOT ONE WORD WRITTEN! I dont suppose it would be NIAD without me cutting it right to the wire… I’m blaming her!

Can I blame your daughter too? Please? :blush:

Although in my head the ‘Triceptacon’ battle section is pretty much done…

I’ve asked her… she’s fine with it… :laughing:

A western - awesome!
I never thought about writing one myself, so this is really cool!

I got two questions:

1. Does the Wells Fargo man riding into town to alert the Marshal have a name or do I need to call him “the Wells Fargo man”, which might become rather strange?

2. Does the Marshal knwo about the contents of the stolen cases and / or is the content of any importance (to the story).

Cheers and happy writing!!

Done for now. I will wake up and look with fresh eyes. Can’t wait to read the rest of the books. Had a great time, thanks again for the invite.

560 words so far.

Time for a break.

I had a few problems with getting WordPad to open the instruction file, but it worked OK in Libre Office

There’s a lot that has to happen, and I have a feeling that my chapter is close to the end. The events fit with the genre conventions for that.

Hey Catcher74.

1. I’ve not given him a name anywhere. You can refer to him however you like!
  2. The contents are mostly papers and a little bit of cash. Huge irritation to the bank, limited benefit to the robbers.

It’s not often I get told that! :smiley:

Assuming, of course, that I have any familiarity with the genre conventions. :blush: :smiley:

400 words short and the chapter is ‘finished’. Have to see if I can stretch it out some more.

I opened the pack before bed, a little drunk, and almost cried at the amount of info given! It’s obviously a good thing though, so drunken me should get a grip.

Everything I know about westerns comes from Red Dead Redemption on the Xbox, which is great for the soundtrack to get me in the mood but bad because that game is set a full 40 years after this story! :open_mouth:

“Blaze of Glory”,

“Wanted Dead or Alive”…Bon Jovi, the only soundtrack to this years NIAD! :smiley:

Whew. Done and sent. Always enjoyable! Thanks PigFender! I really appreciate all the hard work you put into this every year!

I look forward to the completed versions! :smiley:

Done and sent as well. My first year and I worried for nothing. It wasn’t as hard as I thought!

Thank you! I look forward to reading all three versions.

Okay, I’m back. Thanks for indulging me in a couple of hours away from the screen. Hopefully no-one was held up too much.

Heya Lazey. We’ve all been there! It always seems like there’s not enough on the first pass to me.

Cried with jubilation, right? :open_mouth:

FleetAdmiralO and katlovergilpin, thanks for your chapters. I’ve received them and can open them, but haven’t been through them yet. That’s three chapters in now!

I’m here, I’m here!

Oh, God, it’s a… Western?! panics a little

Right. Yeah. OK. No problem. I can do this. Yep. hiperventilates. Just need a, a, a… moment to think. Oh lord.

Good morning, all.

Now I am up against it — though perhaps less than I would have been last year — being a Middle-class Brit who has never read a Western, though I have seen a few Western films!

And are there any Native Americans around? I don’t want to have a posse of them arrive and call them Apaches if the local tribes would have been Hopi, Navaho, Cherokee or something else … I also know nothing about the geography of Native American tribes.

Come to think of that I know nothing of the physical geography of that area … Of course I’ve heard of and seen photos etc. of the Grand Canyon, and a bit about the mesas and the Anasazi — “The Thief of Time”, anyone? — so have no perception of the landscape in the parts we are concerned with, so shall assume it’s pretty much desert.

Were there any Chinese around in those parts, like there probably were in California etc. for the gold? If there were, I could have them swearing in Chinese … :laughing:

Mr X

You got this! :smiley:

On another note, Mrs Pigfender thinks it’s funny that I’m doing a perfect impression of my t-shirt.

Question! My part contains two new characters, un-named and undetailed, who are pretty much front-and-centre the whole way through. I will obviously flesh them out but can I name them? It’s not entirely clear what part, if any, they’ll play in future chapters so I want to avoid such a simple error from occuring…

Has anyone given the characters’ horses names, sexes and colours? If not I will and will show them here (unless Pigfender would rather they were’t named etc, and I’ll just refer to Frank’s colt or Charlie’s horse where necessary)