Compile confusion

My novel is set up in this hierarchy:

screenshot of folder heirarchy.png
So the novel is composed of three parts, each with multiples chapters whose titles are simply dates. Within the chapters are scenes that get stitched together without titles. I have front matter:

screenshot of folder heirarchy2.png

Most of my formatting has worked out fine. My problems are:

• I can’t figure out how to stop the book’s header and page numbers from appearing in the front matter (with the exception of the first Title Page, where the header is suppressed). ‘As is’ is checked for all those pages, but the header and page number still appear.
  • Similarly, I can’t figure out how to stop the book’s header and page numbers from appearing on the first page of each chapter.
  • The Copyright page, the second page in the front matter, is being assigned as page 1. I want page 1 to be the first page of the first chapter, “March 7.”
  • The first line of each page is extremely close to the header. Not sure how to increase this.
  • Finally, is it possible to use image placeholders, as I’ve seen on videos using the Mac version?

Thanks.

Scrivener currently is limited to just discounting the first page and keeping the header and footer from there. For the larger front matter count, and for keeping the header and footer from the first pages of chapters (also anything like ensuring chapters always begin on the recto page), you’ll need to handle the header and footer layout and page numbering in a word processor or layout tool.

That should also take care of the other problem with the text too close to the header, since you’ll have more control over the placement in the margins and such. In other cases where you were going to compile straight to PDF from Scrivener, you might get better results using the Microsoft Office converters, if you have Word 2007-2013 installed. You can set this under the Import/Export tab of Tools > Options by clicking “Export Converters” and selecting PDF from the left pull-down menu and MS Office from the right.

Thanks for the reply. I did find this export converter option, but I’m not sure I understand what it does, and how it pertains to moving over to Word to solve my problems. If I were to use Word to fix my issues, wouldn’t I simply compile to a .doc file?

Would anyone have an answer on this? I know the Windows version has some placeholders, like title and author’s name, but is there no image placeholder?

Yes, in this case since you need to fix the page numbering and so forth, you’ll want to just compile to RTF or DOC and then make the adjustments in Word. In a simpler compile where you didn’t need to do extra fussing with the headers and were going straight to PDF, I’m aware that the default exporter for PDF places the header and footer slightly differently from the exporter that hooks into the Microsoft Office libraries, so changing the tool used there might fix the problem of the text being too close.

Windows doesn’t have image placeholder tags at the moment, no. You can used linked images, which lets you more easily edit or swap images from outside of Scrivener; you can read about that in section 15.5.2 of the user manual. It’s not the same as the placeholder tags, but it might help you toward the same goal.

Thanks for explaining, although not having this placeholder available is very disappointing. As I understand it, the placeholder in the Mac version allows you to specify the width, and proportionality is preserved. I hope this can be added to the Win version at some point.

It would also be nice to have another Mac feature: when you click on a level type in the formatting section of compile, the affected folders or documents in the binder turn yellow. That would ease a lot of confusion in the compile process.

Thanks!

As a general rule, with the exception of Apple-specific features, all the features on Mac will be coming to Windows, so yes, image placeholder tags are on the list. In case you’re unaware, you can adjust height and width for inserted images in both Mac and Windows by right-clicking the image and choosing Edit Image. I’d suggest though that for best-quality images on either platform, you handle the image resizing in a dedicated graphics program.

Thanks. I hope the other Mac-only feature I mentioned above (when you click on a level type in the formatting section of compile, the affected folders or documents in the binder turn yellow) also comes to Windows.

All my nit-picking aside, I’ve been using the Win version now for three years and love it. I can’t imagine having written this novel without it. :smiley:

Yes, Windows will have something similar. Glad to hear Scrivener has helped with finishing your novel! :slight_smile: