Novel-in-a-Day 4.0: Live Free or NiaD

The one thing that I find to be perfect for “getting things started” is a nap. It is 11p ET and it would be better for me to go to bed than stare at the screen. I’ll make sure I have a pad and pen handy as I know i’ll wake up with an idea. In the morning I’ll be rested and ready to go before the coffee makes it to the pot.

Don’t stress about this. The worst thing that happens is piggy doesn’t get to edit. The best is that you are a superstar.

I wonder if MA or LD ever stared at a blank and walked away. I’m sure the little chapel roof and the boards behind Mona Lisa were just as blank as the outline. Look how those turned out.

Run a memory test suite. I think apple shipped one with the last OS. If it finds anything wrong you don’t want to do too much before you replace the RAM in your system.

That’s worse case. I’m probably wrong.

Hmmm. At 22:00 if I go to bed now, I’ll wake up and have probably six hours to pork out the chapter. Though I’ll probably sleep in for the first time in ages, leaving only perhaps an hour to get my chapter done. Hmmmm.

The sushi is great, btw.

It’s 1500 words. Figure 75wpm and you are looking at 10minutes. That leaves you 50 minutes for editing. You seem like an intelligent person. I’m guessing that 20hrs is more than enough for your brain to churn out a decent 1500 word short story.

Remember that KB wrote scrivener. He’s an over achiever. His 5K words are … he wrote scrivener. Just get 1500. You’ll be fine.

Well if I look at it like that, it’s doable. At least I don’t have to write scrivener. We’d be here a re generations.

This public versus private school thingy or the city versus City stuff make so little sense to me in regards to their relevance on my brief that it makes me wonder if I’m actually understanding anything about the story… :confused:

Nothing to do with the story, r6d2, their just on the character sheets to give (unnecessary?) colour and background to the players!

For those keeping count, I have now been awake for 24 hours.

I hope we aren’t judged on accuracy because I am pantsing the hell out of this scene with no time for research (it’s way past my bedtime).

I have two scenes (likely will spawn a 3rd, as they do) planned and ready to go. It’s 11pm here, and I need my beauty sleep. Catch you all in a few hours.

Don’t worry. We won’t be judged. At least not for this. :laughing:

Going to sleep now. See you all tomorrow!

The questions seem to have tapered off now so I’m going to grab a couple of hours power nap. Hopefully any questions you have can wait for a little while (or be resolved on the forum). Failing that, if really urgent, TYPE REALLY LOUD and I might just wake up. :wink:

Late work last night, more work this morning, tennis competition in the afternoon…

Back online and ready to write, just too worried about my deadline now to find the time for heckling.

Only one problem – did you send my brief yet Piggy?

Matt

Boom! How’s that for heckling?

I didn’t think I had been doing that much heckling!

Still sitting at the blind panic phase I described last year. I have a couple of questions, since my emails aren’t getting through, will send them via PM instead.

Matt

Eek. I think I might be done with my chapter. I’m going to print and have my daughter read it in the morning before she goes to work and then I will send it off.

This has been such fun.

Nighty night, peeps!

Funny to see someone finished before I have even staggered out of bed and started writing. Well done, scrapsandsass!

Got my brief an hour ago (thank you, Pigfender), and have now read it, set up my Scrivener project, created scenes with synopses, split the briefing information into sections, added Scrivener links from scenes to those sections, plucked some word-count targets out of the air, set up some pretty colours for labels… Anything to delay the moment when I need to start writing! I need coffee.

Have fun, everyone. :slight_smile:

Quick question, Pigfender… Would you prefer newspaper titles to be in quotation marks or in italics?

Hey Rog. Im getting my emails bounce back, looks like your inbox in full :stuck_out_tongue:

Recipient address rejected: Mailbox message count
quota exceeded, please try again later. (in reply to RCPT TO command)

anyway, looks like this chapter is pretty much at its end (notice I didn’t say ready hey). I’m gonna let it fester for a little while and then proof read again. Im flying solo on this one. My wife and wingman who normally spots typos, ill conceived concepts and all the shithouse SPaG errors that I make is working tonight so you’ve just got me. For that I’m truly sorry.

Cheers
Al