Which Linux distro do you use for Scrivener?

Now running on openSUSE 13.1 with XFCE. Runs great.

ubuntu 13.10, 64 bits

scrivener is OK, but spellcheck is broken

I had to install an Ubuntu Quantal 32 bits schroot to get all the spellcheck utils. It works fine with it. the 32 bits filesystem can be useful for other programs too.

Fedora with Cinnamon Desktop (or any Redhat derivative)

Running on Kubuntu 13.10, 64-bit AMD64 version.

Getting the dependencies set up to run Scrivener took a little bit of doing, though I’ve managed to make it work.

I was pleased to find that Scrivener was available, even in unoffocial beta, for Linux after discovering Scrivener on my Mac. My Linux distro is Crunchbang 11 “Waldorf” 32 bit (Debian). Scrivener, thus far, is running quite nicely on my Asus 1015PX netbook.

As I mentioned in another short thread, Debian wheezy 64 bit on an ASUS chromebook using Crouton for the OS install. A few minor dependencies fixed and it works like a champ.

Ubuntu 14.04 final beta amd64 on a Thinkpad T430. Some library problems during the installation, but now it seems to be running fine.

Working on Linux Mint 16 “Petra” Cinnamon x64 installed on a Lenovo Twist.
Still waiting for an official Linux release before doing any heavy-lifting though.
– Glen

I am working on Linux Mint 16 “Petra” Cinnamon x64 installed on HP Pavilion.
Like the last poster, I’m really waiting for an official Linux release. It’s a bit disappointing that people can’t even get a basic spell checker to work out of the box with the present Linux version of Scrivener. I’m reading through this forum and it’s pretty pitiful to read the posts. My spell check isn’t working so I read the forum for help and found zingers like this:

“Oddly enough, I somehow managed to get spellcheck (en) to work on Ubuntu 13.10 64 bits by accident. Following the steps only got me as far as having it find the right dictionaries, but the actual spell check did not work. Now, if I run the actual executable (without the script), it just works. Attempting to reproduce this on another machine (by copying over the tarball directory to an user, same path, same version, same permissions), but so far, no luck. Finds the dict and that’s it. Odd to say the least.”

The thread looks like a zillion users floundering around trying to get something as basic as a spell check to work. How sad is that? :cry:

Not so sad. Refer back to “unsupported” and “experimental” for the Linux version. Also refer to 32-bit vs. 64-bit situation. As noted, this version of Scrivener for Linux (UNSUPPORTED, EXPERIMENTAL) works fine on many distributions with many desktop environments.

The latest beta development of the Windows version is nearing final release stage; here’s hoping Lee & community follow up with a Linux experimental version update. Their willingness to continue tracking Linux versions with new releases of the Windows version is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

just new in this forum. English not very well (I’m german).

I’m using Linux on my old Acer Aspire one (just nearly 6 years old). First I’ve used Linux Mint 15. Scrivener works fine.
In the Moment I installing Ubuntu Trusty Tahr. Im veruy curious, if Scrivener works.

Greetings from Berlin
Marz

Successfully installed and operational on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS running on a Lenovo S10-3t w/

• 2 gb memory
  • CPU: Dual core Intel® Atom™ CPU N470 @ 1.83GHz
  • Graphics: Intel® IGD x86/MMX/SSE2
  • 250 gb SATA disk @ 5400 rpm

It seems quite stable if very slow, especially if running a browser simultaneously. This is probably a system bandwidth saturation issue…

I had everything working on a Mint 16 w/Cinnamon, but when I upgraded to Mint 17 it hosed my computer and I tried everything I could find in this forum to get it working (and tried to Google my way to happyness, but no joy). I reinstalled Mint 17 and am using LibreOffice for now to keep writing on my manuscript. I am now looking forward to a Scrivener Linux version that is supported. I love Scrivener and will gladly pay for the eventual supported (paid) version for Linux. I envy you folks who are able to get it working on your machines.

EDITED June 5th 2014:
I did get Scrivener 1.6.1.1-beta.deb running on Mint 17 64-bit Cinnamon version. I followed the post information by Midling:

I was able to install Scrivener on a VM installation of Mint 17 MATE 32-bit and it seems to be OK so far. For some reason I couldn’t install from the .deb file using the package installer, though – that kept failing, so I ended up using the archive manager instead. We won’t discuss how many tries it took to get it in the right place. :blush: I don’t remember having that problem before, and I’ve installed on various versions of Mint and Ubuntu over the last couple of years.

As usual, the background transparency on the Full Screen editor isn’t working. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that work on Mint, and this is the third or fourth physical machine I’ve tried it on. :frowning:

[Edit: but it works on Ubuntu 14.04 on the same host machine with the default window manager or Gnome-shell but not with MATE. Pity I can’t stand the rest of the Unity interface …]

[Edit2: Transparency also works on Mint Cinammon. Seems to be a MATE-specific issue, then. And now I have a ridiculous number of VMs on this laptop.]

So far using it on Ubuntu 12.04, on my Acer Aspire One Netbook.

The 14.04 has been singing its sirene songs for some time, but I haven’t dared to try it yet…

Running fine under Arch and also Fedora 20. Thanks for making this software available.

Centos 7

I’ve used several. Ubuntu unity, xfce and gnome. Manjaro xfce, gnome, kde

Just installed the .deb on Ubuntu 14.04 w/Unity. Launched from terminal, pinned it to the launchbar, done.

I was a bit nervous, I’m a Linux newb, and Scrivener was the one must have app I hadn’t installed yet because beta, and faffing with the terminal etc. Turned out I didn’t need to do anything I wasn’t confident doing, so yay!

Haven’t had much of a play yet, but I’ve chucked my current project in, set up backups (everything’s very familiar, I’ve been using Scrivener for Windows since the Windows beta, so I’m chuffed everything is where I expect it to be), and I’ll give it a good playing with XD

[size=200]Linux Mint 17 Xfce[/size].

Loverly :slight_smile: