1.5.0.6 LINUX Beta Released

Does anyone suppose that the Linux version might one day run on a Chromebook?
Chrome OS is a variant of Linux. But it mainly runs web-based applications.
Though some are “offline” and it does have a file manager.

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already.

This is a question to the developers of Scrivener, how can we know? I am more interested in a stable linux version in the 1st place and this will need time…after this, sure it’s possible that someday we will get versions for Chrome, Android & iOs

But, if Chrome is based on Ubuntu/Linux than i think it’s no big deal to install the linux-version on your Chromebook

There is an iOS version in the works, and I think they are planning on Android after that.

I haven’t tried the ChromeOS, so I can’t speak to it. Since it is a Linux variant, and if it can run offline programs, Scrivener should work. It won’t run in the Chrome window (the browser) though. Well, I’d be surprised if it did. How about that.

All that being said, in looking at the stuff Google has up about the ChromeOS, I’m not sure it will. You’d have to find a way to install it, and not from the Google Store. That isn’t to say it’s not possible. I’m just leaning towards very difficult if it is.

As always, thanks to everyone on the Scrivener for Windows/Linux team for your great work. Bravo. I just used dpkg to load it onto my Dell Studio laptop running Ubuntu 12.04, and it has so far worked perfectly right out of the box.

One question: I didn’t see what the expiration date for this beta is, assuming that we do all somehow live beyond Friday the 21st.

Am I correct in thinking that Sync With External Folder is still missing from the Linux version, or have I simply missed it?

I would very much appreciate having this feature (which I know exists in the Mac version of Scrivener).

Echoing the expiration date question, and subscribing to the thread. When installing the Linux 1.5.0.6 beta, it still says it will expire on July 31, 2012. The info on the Windows beta says it expired on December 21st. The Linux version is still working, of course, and I’m pretty confident that there’ll be a new beta by the time it expires, but it would be nice to know in advance when it’ll stop working.

Anyway, just now getting around to taking this beta for a spin (been using the 1.2.6 beta). And thanks so much for all your hard work on it. Scrivener has been one of my “must-have” tools since I first purchased the Mac version several years ago.

I installed on Linux Mint 14 cinnamon 64 bit. It installed just fine I have the Scrivener icon in the Office section of the Menu, however nothing happens when I click on it. I use Mac OS X Mountain Lion and Linux Mint 14 in unison daily, but am no linux genius, so any help or insite on what I can try to get this to work will be very much appreciated.
Thanks -Mark

Same here, but previously I had no trouble at all. Maybe the beta expired or something.

I had the same problem just now, but found that installing ia32-libs in Synaptic (or “sudo apt-get install ia32-libs”) did the trick.

agentyellow - You are Brilliant my friend.

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs Worked Perfect, Thank You very much. :smiley:

I have updated to this new version with no problem at all, just downloaded the .deb and enter a dpkg -i instruction.
I am on Debian Sid AMD64, with Multiarch support
Thanks a lot !

I got a similar warning when installing on Ubuntu 12.10 32-bit. The install actually caused software-properties-gtk to crash, as well as viewing any sources in Software Center and Synaptic.

Found a bug report from another piece of software that looks like it might be related to this bug: bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … ug/1053749

Followed the advice here bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … comments/7 and was able to find the bad characters and remove them.

Ah, just realized that there is the new beta out there. I unpacked the tar file and it startet up without any problem. But what I noticed is that the German translation doesn’t work. Scivener keeps talking English to me. :slight_smile:

Generally, you can ignore this warning if you trust the person/group that created the package you’re installing.

For Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit, I was able to install this way (via software center), and then get things running with

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch

Just using “ia32-libs” still also works, but it is now a ‘transitional’ package that points to the multiarch version.

I installed the 32 bit .deb file on a 64 bit LMDE (Debian) system but am also having the problem where it won’t launch. I have ia32-libs installed (the .deb for Scrivener in fact would not install without it).

If I run Scrivener from a terminal, I get this error:

/usr/share/scrivener/bin/Scrivener: error while loading shared libraries: libgstapp-0.10.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I found a forum discussion about this error in the Arch Linux forums, where they say the missing file is in Arch’s lib32-gstreamer0.10-base package. But Debian doesn’t seem to have any separate lib32-gstreamer packages in the 64 bit repositories.

Any thoughts about what to do from here? Thanks.

You can try to install MultiArch. Like this, your system will be able to install i386 libraries needed.
I have done this a while ago, and now I don’t have any more troubles for 32Bits dependancies

Scrivener 1.5.0.6 began to launch from the menu after installation of the deb file on my Kubuntu 12.10 running KDE 4.9.4. Then, nothing. I just stopped. No process showed up in the list of active programs.

I tried running from the command line.

There were several font warnings, but the final notice may be my problem, incompatible Qt libraries.
Any suggestions?

Fontconfig warning: “/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf”, line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
Fontconfig warning: “/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-ttf-sil-andika.conf”, line 14: Having multiple values in isn’t supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: “/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-ttf-sil-andika.conf”, line 32: Having multiple in isn’t supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: “/etc/fonts/conf.d/65-ttf-sil-andika.conf”, line 32: Having multiple in isn’t supported and may not works as expected
Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (version 0x40803) with this library (version 0x40800)
Aborted (core dumped)

Lintian check results for /home/donnie/Documents/Linux/scrivener-1.5.0.6-beta.deb: E: scrivener: maintainer-name-missing lee@literatureandlatte.com Use of uninitialized value $name in pattern match (m//) at /usr/share/lintian/lib/Lintian/Check.pm line 202.

I got this error while installing deb version on Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit. I ignored it and it installed fine and is working as its suppose to. Thank you for your hard work.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had already enabled MultiArch using the command:

dpkg --add-architecture i386

That installed lots of lib32 packages. And, as I said above, before I enabled MultiArch, dpkg would fail and not even let me intsall the .deb package of Scrivener. But now even with MultiArch, I get the error mentioned above. Any other thoughts?

I solved my problem, after reading this post about how ia32-libs has been deprecated in favor of enabling multiarch: forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p … 0&t=122296.

I followed the instructions for enabling multiarch there, including the modification of sources.list, which I don’t know if that was done before or not.

Then when I ran synaptic it told me I had a broken package, which turned out to be an older version of Skype I was running. So I marked Skype for complete removal, which curiously caused synaptic to say that removing Skype required installing several packages, including the one I was missing (libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0:i386). All four packages installed at this point were:

libgstreamer0.10-0:i386
liborc-0.4-0:i386
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0:i386
libqtwebkit4:i386

After that Scrivener ran fine! And installing the newest version of Skype worked too, without messing anything up.