Scapple Beta - New Users Please Read

Thanks! The manual hasn’t been proof-read at all yet, actually, because it isn’t even finished yet, so there are bound to be a fair few typos and errors in there. I’ll finish it off and get the team to proof-read it once the beta testing is further along (although I have fixed the typo you picked out of course).

All the best,
Keith

Keith:

Great job! Your refinements all make perfect sense. I was up and running with Scapple right away, and (as with Scrivener) I found that when I needed a bit of complexity, it was there waiting for me.

One little quibble: When you change the font size of a note in the inspector, then apply a Note Style through the contextual menu (like “Red Text”), the font size jumps back to the default 12 pt. Not preserving that font size pretty much obviates the one-touch simplicity of using a contextual menu to make, for example, a bunch of headers in red.

This problem persists when using Apply Note Style in combination — if I want to apply Title Text and Red Text, it’s an either-or proposition — I can use the contextual menu to make a note red, or make it Title sized, but not both (without going into the Inspector.)

Not sure if this is a bug or a quibble. It might just be me, but I always think of contextual menu items as quick, stay-on-the-main-page shortcuts.

(Note: The Steve Jobs answer to this issue, of course, is, “We did a lot of research, and we discovered that our users don’t need big, red notes.” :slight_smile: )

Hey Sean,

What version of Scapple are you running? I can’t get the Inspector to open in 0.9 (2110).

Just a suggestion to help ‘slow’ people like me: add a ‘Plain Text’ note style, to return to the default note style after having applied one of the other styles. Yes, I know you can just:

1. Create a new ‘dummy’ note,
  2. Create a new ‘Plain Text’ style from the selection.

But it took me a bit of time to figure how to remove a style, and maybe having this base style would help.

Paolo

ProfessorTom: 0.9, same as you. Opens fine for me.

This has already been added for the next beta - a lot of users have requested this. Thanks!

Not to be a dick, but I can’t open the Inspector on my Retina Macbook Pro. I even removed the app from the Applications folder, re-downloaded and reinstalled. I can, however, see the inspector on my 27" iMac.

Have you tried going into what used to be Exposé mode — three finger upward swipe — and seeing if on your Retina display it’s coming up hidden by something else? Or could it for some reason be coming up but off the screen area?

Just wondering.

Mark

How does reporting a bug make you a dick? I’m confused about that one! :slight_smile: And there is still no console error anywhere in /Applications/Console.app? The inspector opens fine on my MacBook Pro Retina (well, as fine as anything can open on it - the screen has a loose connection so that everything is washed out and in inverted colours - it’s being picked up for a trip to AppleCare tomorrow).

Unfortunately this won’t help because the inspector is a panel, and panels don’t get shown by Exposé. Scapple should move the inspector into the visible screen area when it’s closed and reopened even if it did get moved off the screen area, though.

Thanks for this interesting and useful software. I did try dragging and dropping an entry from scapple (my spell checker keeps wanting to “correct” the name) to the latest beta of Scrivener 2.3.5 but the dragged entry keeps bouncing back and not sticking on the corkboard. I’m using a Macbook Pro with 10.8.2 OS X for what it’s worth.

Freeform corkboard? Apparently it only drags to that.

Mark

Glad you like it! And I’m sorry it didn’t get called BoardStorm…

Yes, at the moment note styles affect everything - font size and weight, borders and background, text colour and so on. After thinking about this some more, I’ve added some extra options to the note style creation panel so that you can choose which elements a note style affects. This way you can set it up only to add red text, or only to make text larger and bold. So this should work the way you want for the next beta.

Dammit, I really should use that sort of answer more often!

Yes, as Mark says, you can only drag to the freeform corkboard. I’ll be adding support for dragging to the binder, too, though.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks for the reply. That works as expected. I’m another person that likes the idea of an environment that’s not centered on the one entry (as in Brainstorming software) so I’m probably going to get a lot of use out of this software. The $10 price seems very reasonable and I think you’ll have a lot of enthusiastic users.

Hi Keith,
I finally had a chance to use Scapple yesterday - I used it at work to nut something out.

To be honest, my first expectation was that it was quite limited, and I wasn’t sure I wanted to use it (that has been my reaction to all applications like this that I have ever tried).

But as I kept using it, I quickly realized i was very glad for those limits, because I stopped caring about trying to make the damned thing look attractive and super organized, and could instead use it to dump out my thoughts and sort only sort things out when I really needed it.

The funny thing is - it becomes more attractive as it grows anyway. It is just when it has 2 nodes on a massive canvas that it looks a little bare.

It’s kind of like that mentality when you first switch to Scrivener that you don’t have to play with fonts. And once that part clicked, it was all pretty easy to use. Not as quick as paper and pen to start with, but a lot more digital and movable once you get past about 8 nodes.

For the first time, I have a mind mapping type app I would actually come back to.

I haven’t explored it all yet, so I will wait until I’ve played a few more times before suggesting any features. There are lots of things you could add (like throwing image or videos onto the canals if you can’t do that) - but want to make sure it doesn’t become another Curio - because I don’t use that one either!

Congratulations on the beta release. Looking forward to the final product.

Matt

Thanks, Matt!

Incidentally, you can throw images onto the canvas, but not videos (I wanted to keep the file size down and din’t want to have to embed QuickTime into it).

All the best,
Keith

Keith,

To answer your question, the reason I thought I was being a dick is that I was petulant because my Inspector comment wasn’t getting response from you. Additionally, I was out of work today with a sinus infection. I’m rough around the edges as it is, but being sick means that what little bit of filter I have is gone. :smiley:

====
Glory be! I looked in the Console per your response (I don’t know why I didn’t think to look there intuitively) and low and behold, I found a bunch of entries that read like this:

10/15/12 2:35:43.751 PM Scapple[2911]: -[VLMInspectorControllerWindowController loadWindow]: failed to load window nib file ‘Inspector’.

So I’m not crazy and I have the logs to prove it! :stuck_out_tongue:

Damn, boy! What the hell did you do to your Retnia Macbook Pro? Were you drop-testing it or something?

Good luck with the trip to Apple Care. Do you happen to listen to John Siracusa’s show on the 5by5 network Hypercritical? He’s been banging on lately about when you do and don’t get refurbished parts when you go to Apple Care.

Would it be possible to support video as an after-the-fact download like the way OS X handles Java? This way, you would keep the file size down for the majority of users, but power users that do want the feature can get it, thus satisfying both groups.

Sorry about that. I’ve been a flurry of activity trying to get through all the posts, and I think I’ve lost track of a couple - I had missed that you’d replied to my previous questions.

Interesting! Have you tried re-downloading and reinstalling (apologies if you’ve already established that)? This seems to indicate that the “Inspector” interface file won’t load, which suggests a corrupted installation.

Nothing at all - in fact, I have barely touched my Retina MacBook since I bought it. I only bought it so that I could test out all of Scrivener’s new high-res graphics on it, and only use it for testing that Scrivener and Scapple look good on it. It’s just a dodgy connection between the screen and computer, it seems.

Huh, no, I haven’t listened to that. Refurbished parts from AppleCare? For the money I expect them to replace everything with new parts, dammit.

Not really. I could add video that doesn’t get embedded, I suppose - but I won’t. :slight_smile: That would still entail linking to the QuickTime framework and having QuickTime videos in there, and Scapple isn’t intended to be presentational software primarily, but rough note-making software.

All the best,
Keith

No worries. I’m an asshole https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o30wacwdoc.

Yeah, from that message, it’s almost like the nib somehow wasn’t in the zip file, but that’s just crazy talk! :stuck_out_tongue: I’m pretty positive I already tried re-downloading. What I will try next is copying the file from the iMac that is working to the MBP that isn’t. If that doesn’t work, then it’s likely some kind of configuration issue on my end, agreed?

That teh suck. I’d demand not only a new rMBP, but I’d demand a refund for getting a lemon.

No one–not even The Bitten Fruit™–is above saving a dime when they can.

No video? :frowning: