Scapple Beta - New Users Please Read

Undocumented feature?

Double-click on a connecting line, and a new note will be create in the middle of it:

new-note-in-line.jpg

Keith, I’m sharing your emotions with that word. I don’t want to have a storm in my brain. That doesn’t sound very pleasing.
I’m going to check out Scapple though. If I have useful feedback I make sure to send it your way.

Cheers,
Andreas

Help > Scapple User Guide. :slight_smile: The guide is only half-finished, but this is in there under the section on notes.

Keith, I use that same big piece of paper. Sometimes I move sticky notes around on it. For software, I’ve tried Freeplane for mind mapping. Unfortunately, it makes everything into a tree from one root. Looking forward to playing with Scapple. Thanks.

I just want to say how much I love this software!

My only request would be the ability to have user defined styles or themes, like those available in textmate?

Thanks!

What do you mean? You can already set up note styles via the Format > Note Style menu. Is that not what you’re after?

All the best,
Keith

Exactly.

A://

I am confused about whether I can use the keyboard to move from note to note. Sometimes the arrow keys take me to a linked note in the expected direction. Sometimes they don’t, even if there is only one linked note to move to.

I think around $10 is really a very good price. From what I’ve seen in the beta, at $10 I’d buy it right now: where is the buy button? :slight_smile:

Now there’s my kind of mind manager. No constraints. Just paper and my mind. I love it already and will buy it surely. Great stuff :smiley:

Keyboard navigation only works between notes that are aligned or stacked; it cannot move through arbitrary notes as there is no inherent order to them.

All the best,
Keith

Hi,

this looks great! Is there any way to drop a link / add a link to a note? I store all my data in Devonthink and would love to cross-link as much as possible.

Hi again. today playing with the program i noticed that if i change some of the bubble text to bold, the bubble do not resize with the text, i don’t know if it is a bug but it looks strange that when you finish writing in a blank note the bubble resize to it but not when you change the font properties. it looks something like this

The note maintains its width - this is not a bug, but intended behaviour. You can resize the note manually by dragging the right or left edge.

All the best,
Keith

Is there a way to set a note’s style back to the default style?

Not in the current beta, but this has been added for the next one.

All the best,
Keith

Well, Keith, with so many intentional features, I may not be able to make many suggestions without betraying the concept. Anyway, this is my experience so far:

1. I changed the background color, exported the new “map” and the PDF ended up with the original yellow background. Would that be a bug?

2. It was definitely easy to take notes, but once the thing started to grow up, it became more difficult to manage. The fact that when I moved one note, none of their children moved with it was a little bit of a problem after a while. I guess this is intentional too, but it became non practical at some point.

3. The fact that the box won’t adapt to the new size of the words when set on bold is kind of annoying too. I would prefer if it was automatic. You already answered this, I’m only giving my honest opinion.

4. The place of the bubble where the line connects appears kind of random at this time. The problem appears evident with different lenghts siblings (due to the amount of words in each of them), some may have the line on the center, others on the side, depending on the extension of the words in the bubble. It looks messy. I guess that’s intentional as well.

Overall, it’s great software for taking notes for myself and bring them into Scrivener. If I want to present this to other people, I would definitely need another application. (I guess iThoughts for iPad spoiled me. It works better than other more expensive Mac software).

Thanks again. I was delighted that everything was so easy. That’s definitely great.

Touché. :open_mouth:

I’ll look at that. Obviously that’s a bug - it should retain the background colour or use no background colour at all if you ticked the option not to have a background for the exported PDF.

Of course it’s intentional - I’m not sure how I could have accidentally programmed that? I’d find it very awkward if every time you moved a note it moved all of its connected notes, especially when pretty much everything can be connected to everything else. You can use the keyboard shortcut in the Edit menu for quickly selecting connected notes, though. If you find it difficult to manage, then it’s probably not the tool for you. :slight_smile:

I changed my mind on this one after answering the other poster and playing some more. This one has been changed for the next build.

Yes, it is intentional (the word of the moment, it seems). Sort of, anyway. The arrows just point towards the centre of the notes.

Well, yes, this isn’t presentational software at all. It’s working-out-rough-ideas software.

It definitely sounds as though you should stick with iThoughts and your iPad - just as with Scrivener, Scapple won’t suit everybody, but thanks for your honest thoughts regardless!

All the best,
Keith

What a nice thought manager!

The first thing I tried with Scapple and Scrivener was of course to drag something from Scapple to Scrivener.
The second thing was to drag something the other way. But I couldn’t. :frowning:
Although I could see lots of reasons to be able to!

Will we be able to later on?

Regards,
Peer

That’s a good point - I’ll look at allowing drags from Scrivener’s freeform corkboard into Scapple, thanks!