Scapple Beta - New Users Please Read

Yes, but it’s not nearly as big as your wall. It is very difficult to pace from one side of the laptop to the other. Unless, of course, you have bound feet but that’s probably another story.

Dave

First of all I’ll have to say that I’m really excited and impressed by the app (and I’ve already said that in other places too 1 :smiley:).

After playing with it for a bit I think I’ve run into a scenario where I think Scapple could do something a bit better: auto-positioning new notes when these are created using the keyboard alone.

Right now if starting from a note you create multiple new connected notes in a specific direction these are all completely overlapping. I don’t want to make any assumptions about how complicated this might be, but I’m thinking that if this is not possible then at least having the option of moving a note around using the keyboard alone would be a good enough alternative for me.

thanks for a great app,

A://

Thanks for this application. Like others here I have tried a number of mindmapping applications and none of them really worked for what I need to do. This looks like a winner so far!

I really like the way Scrapple works - very close to my own method of planning things out. I’ve tried a couple of tests with it and found no bugs so far, but I have a couple of minor things that I would like to see (not deal-breakers, but would be nice to have)…

Double-headed arrows - I couldn’t see a way to do these in the manual, but was a simple case of joining the nodes twice - that was a nice touch instead of another key combination to remember!

Boxes / circles - some people have mentioned having shapes as nodes, but it would also be useful to be able to put a box around a group of nodes - e.g. to group character attributes together.

I like the styles and that new styles can be created and imported. Would it be possible to filter on these - for example to only show the “Location” styled nodes (and maybe also anything linked directly to them) - similar in operation to the keywords in Scrivener, perhaps.

Bendy links - sometimes a link needs to stretch around other nodes - curves would allow this.

Thanks for putting this together - looking forward to the final version!

Strange - let me know if you can get it to happen again.

There are two separate issues here:

The “&#10” thing is caused by Scapple escaping newlines for XML. According to Scrivener’s code, it should be decoding those, so I’m not sure why it’s not, but I tested in OmniOutliner and that doesn’t decode them either. So I’ve changed it for the next beta so that Scapple no longer encodes newlines, meaning they should come across fine in future.

The other issue is that currently Scapple just exports the notes into the “text” field in the OPML, and Scrivener always interprets that field as being for titles. I’ve added an option to Scapple’s OPML export to add a notes field, which, if ticked, will cause the OPML “text” field to be filled with a shortened version of the note, and the full note to be put in the “_note” field. This will fill in both the title and synopsis in Scrivener. That said, you shouldn’t need to use OPML to move notes into Scrivener. Other than the drag to the freeform corkboard, I will be adding drag support to Scrivener so that it will be able to accept drags from Scapple into the binder.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks for the feedback!

I considered this but rejected it. It starts making things more complicated and starts hinting at hierarchy and suchlike.

I’m not sure about that; let me ponder on it. :slight_smile:

Again, that starts making things more complicated (not to mention the algorithms involved :slight_smile: ). I deliberately limited things to straight lines. Unlike on paper, you can move notes out of the way so that the straight lines don’t have to be obscured by anything.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Do you mean when using Notes > New Connected Note > On Left/Right etc?

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith

Okay, I’ve added this for the next beta - you hold down the Option key.

No, there are no plans to support text alignment - the idea is that you place the text where you want it, instead.

All the best,
Keith

Okay, I’ve added this for the next beta.

All the best,
Keith

Hi,

Bug hunt: The spell check options are grayed out for me:

spellcheck.jpg

I didn’t see mention of this in KB’s notes, nor in any of the previous comments.
But it seems that Scapple won’t open my old Vellum notes. :frowning:

I have several dozen .vllm files, but they are grayed out in the Scapple Open dialog.
Is that the price of early adoption?
May I convert .vllm files to some other format?

I notice there’s an Export command (bravo) but no Import.

Someone else pointed this out and I fixed it earlier today. I’ll upload a new beta in the next couple of days, thanks.

Oops, sorry, I should have mentioned this. All that’s changed is the file extension, so all you need to do is change the “.vllm” extension in the Finder to “.scap”, and after that your old Vellum files should open fine in Scapple.

All the best,
Keith

Undocumented feature?

Double-click on a connecting line, and a new note will be create in the middle of it:

new-note-in-line.jpg

Keith, I’m sharing your emotions with that word. I don’t want to have a storm in my brain. That doesn’t sound very pleasing.
I’m going to check out Scapple though. If I have useful feedback I make sure to send it your way.

Cheers,
Andreas

Help > Scapple User Guide. :slight_smile: The guide is only half-finished, but this is in there under the section on notes.

Keith, I use that same big piece of paper. Sometimes I move sticky notes around on it. For software, I’ve tried Freeplane for mind mapping. Unfortunately, it makes everything into a tree from one root. Looking forward to playing with Scapple. Thanks.

I just want to say how much I love this software!

My only request would be the ability to have user defined styles or themes, like those available in textmate?

Thanks!

What do you mean? You can already set up note styles via the Format > Note Style menu. Is that not what you’re after?

All the best,
Keith

Exactly.

A://

I am confused about whether I can use the keyboard to move from note to note. Sometimes the arrow keys take me to a linked note in the expected direction. Sometimes they don’t, even if there is only one linked note to move to.