1.2.6 Scrivener for Linux Released (NOT LATEST)

Thank you for your answer. What happens is that:

alexandre@ubuntu:/usr/share/scrivener/bin$ dir
accessible graphicssystems phonon_backend scrhashsum
Aspell iconengines reportdmp Scrivener
bearer imageformats resources sqldrivers
codecs inputmethods rtfi Tutorial.scriv
alexandre@ubuntu:/usr/share/scrivener/bin$ ./Scrivener
bash: ./Scrivener: Arquivo ou diretĆ³rio nĆ£o encontrado

The last line translates as ā€œFile or directory not foundā€

Funny thing. I installed a game (Limbo) and I saw ā€œlibqtsomethingā€ beeing installed together. Now Scrivener runs normally.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Limboā€™s a good game. :slight_smile: (I also test for Humble Bundle.)

Cooooooooool

I uninstalled Limbo and ran ā€œsudo apt-get autoremoveā€. A lot of the pachages from Limbo install were gone, but Scrivener still runs normally.

As I donā€™t have a list of all packages that Limbro required, I am unable to find out what exactly was that fixed Scrivener.

It couldā€™ve very well been some sort of path or library path variable being tweaked, or it couldā€™ve run ld.so.conf or something to add new library paths.

Hey cool. Just noticed you can import mp3s and video files now. :slight_smile:

garpu, you are right.

I made a clean Kubuntu install and tried a lot of sh and bin files (mainly from HIB :slight_smile: ) and none of them worked, with the same error. All of them worked fine after I installed Limbo.

The script in the other thread is working for me now. :slight_smile: Though it canā€™t find the templates but I hardly use them anyway.

ā€œsudo apt-get install ia32-libsā€ solves this problem.

Thank you very much!

Thank you, lemke0.

When Scrivener is offered for sale to Linux users, I will gladly pay. I have bought Apple and Windows versions.

Rockinā€™, thanks. Two minor things that areā€“for practical purposesā€“non-issues, but that you might want to be aware of, are that when installing over 1.2.5, it still says, ā€œSame version is installed,ā€ indicating that the internal version number in the .deb file is still 1.2.5, and that the expiration date still shows as July 31, 2012.

Again, not that either has any practical effectā€“Just thought youā€™d want to know.

From this I would guess you have forced Scrivener to run under KDE?

Could you tell me how?

Thanks, Bwdjai

Try opening a terminal and running Scrivener like this:

unset QT_PLUGIN_PATH Scrivener

You might need to change the Scrivener line to point to where your Scrivener is located.

If it works, it looks like KDEā€™s environment variables are interfering with Scriveners version of QTā€™s variables.
A quick fix would be a script that starts Scrivener by running those commands (what Iā€™m doing), a better fix would be to have Scrivener (un)set a bunch of environment variables at launch (but itā€™s been a long time since Iā€™ve done any programming so no idea how easy that is to do in KDE).

Rod

Thanks Rod, that didnā€™t help.

I had a developer friend take a quick look and happy that he managed to fire it up I left contented.

However, if I try to open a file, other than one I have saved, Scrivener exits.

By saving a file and then changing the name of my exisiting.file to the saved.file name I have manage to open and continue to edit my original manuscripts. I can then open a ā€˜recent fileā€™ which Scrivener knows all about?? :confused:

This is not the end of the world and in fact I am happy just to have it back running.

Hopefuly someone will come up with the definitve answer in the meantime as I really do like KDE ande do not want to go back to gnome just for this ā€¦ :wink:

Was about to install this but Ubuntu Software Centre gives me this error

Guessing this is nothing too seriousā€¦

Anyway Iā€™m on 64-bit so I needed to force architectureā€¦it installed, but does not workā€¦
Scrivener doesnā€™t even start upā€¦how much longer till a bulletproof commercial version is released? Slightly impatient, but then I have half a project that I canā€™t even work onā€¦Iā€™ll try to roll back to 1.2.5, I only started getting the RTF reader error today, after months without problems

Okay thatā€™s weird, removed 1.2.6,
reinstalled 1.2.5, got RTF reader error again
removed 1.2.5
reinstalled 1.2.6
works perfectly!

I am a newbie to ubuntu, Just bought a new laptop and when I try to install scrivener it goes to software center but it seems like it never recognizes itā€™s installed. I didnā€™t have any trouble installing on an ubuntu desktopā€¦any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help

Are you using the Unity interface on laptop?

I had the same install problem on desktop w/ Unity, but laptop worked no problem using Gnome 3.
I logged out of Unity on desktop, logged back in under Gnome, and the install worked just fine via Software Centre.

I installed it on 12.4 under Unity and it worked fine. Of course, I had the previous version installed and so may have already made the configuration changes required.

I installed in 12.04 under gnome. The application doesnā€™t show up in the software center, but it is installed and works fine.