Scrivener for Mac 2.1 Now Available

Totally unexpected, but greatly appreciated. You’ve just removed my last remaining reason to use Word.

Katherine

A very good update.

H

All I can say is, “WOW!”

Please close all projects prior to clicking the update button if you are using the standard version. There is a bug in 2.0.5 which will cause the program to hang after updating if there are any projects open. If they are closed the hang will be avoided and you can reload the projects immediately after update & relaunch. If you’ve already experienced this hang, it’s no big deal, this advice is just to avoid a crash.

This is only applicable to the standard version.

Update: As of now you should be okay upgrading with projects open.

As always Keith, outstanding work. Scrivener in full screen on my 27" iMac looks outstanding. Thank you for your diligence and attention to detail.

Like many here, I practically live in Scrivener. It’s a fine place to call home.

Dear Keith,

Amazing! After a long friendship with beta for Windows (thank you for this opportunity), it is finally the right time to say - go for more! And I will. First, I am going to buy new iMac with Mac OS Lion on board, then I will purchase Scrivener. I was absolutely head over heels when I found your post Keith - it just answered the questions I was not even able to ask. Now I do not need - Scrivener for Mac 2.1 is here, ready for Lion and even better than it was. Thank you so much to You and to other Creative People who contributed as well.

Emeley, Toronto

The “Footnotes/Annotations” section really (really) made my day. A big thank you :slight_smile:

Great update! Mac OS X Lion has a feature similar to Scrivener “Snapshot” called “Versions”. Since Scrivener has this feature already, what are your thoughts on viewing snapshots in cover flow view to move through earlier snapshots faster, much like Versions?

Versions is not compatible with Scrivener’s project-based format.

If it wasn’t for the several other improvements, you would have deserved a “bravo” for the Themes alone. Now, Scrivener is the champion of the prêt-à-porter writing software…

Wow! A very nice update. So far, it looks and works great with Lion. I upgraded to OS X 10.7 to hopefully fix some other problems I was having. I can’t wait to dig into this. I feel like a cop with a new Taser.

Slowly backs away from Nib.

Well, these are the lazy, hazy, tase-y days of summer.

Fabulous! Many thanks for all the hard work.

I have to say, Scrivener looks really nice in fullscreen (the new Lion fullscreen). It also looks good in compose mode, of course :wink:

I like it too. I just wish Lion didn’t put full screen windows in their own space, and make it impossible to consolidate auxiliary palettes (like QR panels) into that space retrospectively. Ironically you can open QR panels in full screen after you are there and they will stay there, but you can’t move anything you open up prior to entering full screen. I’d have preferred if it didn’t try to make that assumption and just went to full screen in the current space. If I wanted it in another space, I’d have moved it there to begin with.

But implementation gripe aside, it’s awesome to be able to turn my computer into a 100% Scrivener terminal.

Aye, and then after you do open them in full screen, if you switch back to your other space that has another Scrivener project open (since naturally you’re working with more than one; doesn’t everybody?), your QR panels come with you and continue to float over the other project. The shortcut for floating/unfloating the QR panels comes in handy here; just have to remember to place the focus in one of the panels first to make the toggle affect them.

Still, I’m very much in love with the Scrivener on Lion’s full screen. It makes my colored outline look so pretty! :slight_smile:

I read the two statements before as: Scrivener works actually better in a Leopard. :slight_smile:

Apart from that, I can only applaude like everybody else: 2.1 is amazing. A lesson in “how to make something almost perfect even more perfect”.

Steve Jobs, look and learn!

Regarding the QR panels thing, part of this is a bug. :slight_smile: In 2.1, they aren’t set to “can move to current space” as they should be, which is fixed for 2.1.1. This means that in 2.1.1, QR panels will move to the full screen space and back again even if they aren’t set to float. Of course, you’ll still have to click on the main window to enter full screen, so that will push them to the back…

Please let me know if you see any other windows that don’t move to the full screen space when they presumably should.

One annoyance with floating panels in Cocoa, by the way, is that’s all or nothing. Either they float above all windows, or don’t. There’s no way to set them to float only when their associated project is at the forefront, as far as I can tell.

All the best,
Keith

Ah, that is good news to hear that’s something we don’t have to wait 3 years for Apple to fix.

Or, just don’t use the new full screen feature if its design doesn’t appeal. If you never use it, then it is like Leopard. :wink: