Scapple for Mac - Beta Testing Has Begun!

Is this a recent change?

“System Requirements
Scapple requires an Intel Mac running OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or above.”

No, that’s me mixing up big cat names after a long day. :slight_smile: Scapple does indeed run on Snow Leopard and above, not Lion and above.

Good! I’m happy that you are not joining the unfortunately growing trend of dropping support for anything prior to Lion. Thanks.

This is certainly what I have been looking for, as mindmapping software is too prescriptive. I’d pay $10 for it from the App Store.

One useful improvement would be to enable changes to the connector styles using the inspector/contextual menu, in the same way you can change text boxes. It’s OK to do it by drag and drop but keyboard shortcuts isn’t how I normally like to work.

A few more text box shapes would also be handy - particularly a circle and an ellipse.

And, of course, an iPad/iPhone version would be brilliant. I tend to make notes on those rather than the Mac these days, then use Scrivener to flesh them out. That’ll be for another day, though, I assume.

At the moment, each note dragged and dropped into Scrivener creates a separate index card on the corkboard (at least when I tried it). As the idea of Scapple is partly to link ideas, it would be good to have the option of selecting a group of notes on a Scapple worksheet and have them all appear on the same index card instead of each having an individual card.

If you want to do that, the easiest way would be to copy the notes in Scapple, make a new binder item in Scrivener and paste into the text editor. That is actually the main way to get data out of Scapple. The ability to drag in individual notes and have them remain individual things in Scrivener was really just meant to be a nice thing on top of that, since otherwise it would be extra work to split things apart.

Hi,

I installed Scapple, created a file, but now I can’t find it on my system. Intriguing. Reinstalled it today to no avail.I use Lion. Please help.

Thanks.

Jeco

What does “it” signify in this case, the software or the Scapple file? If the software keeps disappearing, make sure it is fully installed in the Applications folder. I’m not sure why it would keep disappearing as it is just distributed in a Zip, but if you have some utility that routinely cleans your download folder that might be it. For all the rest, Spotlight is the best way to find things you’ve lost track of.

Thanks. That works. Might be worth adding a line to the quick start guide with a bit more detail about how to extract notes for those like me (probably the dim minority) who don’t immediately see that you can collect all the notes and copy them in that way. Admittedly I usually do the “play with it to see what works” thing, but actually the quick start guide is almost perfect in its brevity and, as a result, I actually read it.

Like the ability to bring in documents and images. It would be cool if one could also import icons, and dictated notes in MP3 and WMA formats in due course.

You can drag in images and icons already, but there are no plans for supporting other media files - that would make maintaining a fast file format much more complicated.
All the best,
Keith

I have no problem dragging image files - several formats (jpg, png, tiff) work fine - but dragged icons (icns) don’t “stick” and if I use Get Info/Copy to get at an icon, Paste isn’t available in Scapple.

Dragging in .icns files works fine for me - have you tried with more than one .icns file to see if it is just a problem with a specific icon?

That must have been the problem. It works fine if I drag the standard Apple icons from Resources folders. Must have been a couple of non-compliant icons.

wow - this is fantastic – absolutely what I’ve been looking for forever. and I’ve just started a new job and now have access to a massive imac – this works brilliantly on a huge screen.

some suggestions, in case they’re useful at this stage –

1. I’m already reusing a lot of my items using copy-paste…a duplicate function would save time
  2. it’s great not to have items connected to lines (as mind mapping software usually insists they are), but it would also be good to have lines not connected to items…a use case: I’m planning for a debate (I am) I need to gather arguments and examples - I’d like to keep them separate and then join various examples to various arguments. being able to draw a line or some kind of ven diagram to fit all my items around would be good.

Thanks for another great piece of software.

This will be great on the iPad as long as there’s plenty of scope for zooming.

I really enjoyed the scramble, excellent tool. This working fine in Mountain Lion, with the except that the spell checker does not automatically correcting.

I just installed the beta (I’m running Lion), so far it is looking good and it seems to be something I have been looking for for a very long time (thank you, thank you, thank you!), but at the same time I admit I am a little wary when it comes to putting it to the test. What worries me is the fact that, if I decide not to purchase it when the official version becomes available I will basically find myself locked out of any work I do with the beta. With Scrivener it is possible to export pretty much everything so that was a non-issue, but here it looks like the usability of the exported files would be somewhat limited so this could turn out to be a bit of a problem. I know that you left an early version of Scrivener as a free download when you first released that one, now, I am not suggesting that you do something equally drastic here, but I was wondering if it would be possible to change things so that after the expiration date, rather than becoming completely disabled, the program shifts to read only mode.

It’s just an idea, though from what I’ve seen I’ll probably buy it anyway, so that will take care of the problem as far as I am concerned. Again thanks for the excellent apps!

I don’t quite think this is true. If all you’re after is a read-only capture of the Scapple map, both the PDF and PNG export options will perform admirably. You will also be able to drag notes into Scrivener (this is already doable in the latest Scrivener beta), so you can easily work with them there as well, keeping the text editable. Scapple has a good set of options for exporting to formats that a lot of different programs can read, so combining a PDF or image and one of the text options could work nicely for you to reconstruct the map elsewhere if need be. So I’d say if you want to test it out, try some gibberish tests to see how this works for you.

I’m downloading this now and I’m going to spread the word in my creative writing group and elsewhere.

I haven’t seen the replies and suggestions yet, but I would love to see an icon with a few scribbles on a torn envelope. Perhaps a drawing scrawled with a lipstick (?) or something similarly impromptu.

Otherwise, a little more out there, biro scrawls on a banana.

Something that captures the spontaneity of the process.

Cheers, looking forward to checking it out!

I have been using Scapple for a couple months, and it is a fantastic tool and easy to work with. I have had no problems with the program. I use it on a 13" MacBooK Air and have no problem reading the notes even when My thoughts go all over the place. Looking forward eagerly to the full/final version.

Scapple is perfect just as it is! No problems at all. Over the years I bought and tried all of the mind-mapping programs out there and all of them had artificial restrictions that made entering longer text tracts difficult. And none of them were really free-form like a scrap of paper, until now. I’ve complained about that forever, it seems.
By the way, a dimpled white napkin, perhaps with two or three layers wrinkled up in one corner and a few scribbles on it like in your Help file illustration, would make a nice Scapple icon!
Scapple is the best tool for writing that I’ve found since, well, Scrivener! Love it!
The only thing better would be Scapple for iPad!