We’re recruiting for three new people to help us answer support questions.
You’ll be joining team L&L’s help and support staff, answering customer questions via our online support system and on the forums. As all support is done online you won’t be expected to take phone calls, and to begin with you’ll mostly be dealing with fairly basic queries to help free up our more experienced staff for the more difficult questions.
We are currently seeking a full time, UK-based applicant and two part-time freelance applicants. The freelancers can be based in any country.
Sound interesting? Read on…
- It’s crucial to have a decent working knowledge of Scrivener - if you spend a lot of time on the forums answering random questions and sharing your knowledge for free, then this could be ideal for you! We don’t expect you to be an expert with detailed knowledge of every feature, but you will need to be able to answer basic questions about how to get around in and use Scrivener, and you’ll need to be good at looking up and finding out things as you need them. Other members of the team will be on hand to help you with the tough questions until you’re up to speed.
- Some knowledge of Scapple is a bonus, but not essential (because Scapple is very easy to learn and we do not receive as many support questions about it).
- You must have a high standard of written English. As a company that produces writing software, it’s important to us that all our communications with our customers give a good impression and are written in a professional manner.
- You must be comfortable using iOS and both macOS and Windows, and have access to both macOS and Windows.
- We’re definitely looking for someone we get on with - someone with a sense of humour and who doesn’t mind a bit of quirkiness from time to time.
- Because our offices and accountants are based in the UK, we are unable to employ anyone outside the UK on a salaried basis. However, if you’re outside the UK and interested in the part-time position, you can work for us on a contract basis - that is, you can work freelance and invoice us monthly for the hours you complete. If you’re in the UK, you will be on probation for an initial three-month period. Any part-time UK based worker will have the option of becoming an employee after three months if they wish.
Hours & Pay
- Because the position is for basic support, we’ll be looking to pay an initial rate of $15 an hour for freelance workers, or £12 for the full time role. This will be reviewed after three months and then yearly, and if you’re good we’ll definitely do what we can to keep you!
- If you work freelance, either because you are outside the UK or because you choose to work freelance instead of being an employee, you can of course be flexible about how many hours you take on and when you take them. However, we are looking for people who can commit at least 20 hours a week. If you’re on the UK and looking to be employed with us full time, the role requires a commitment of 40 hours per week. All hours are flexible, but we would need you to log on and answer questions on an average of five days a week so that our users are not left waiting too long.
If you’re interested, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Support Staff Position” and the position you are applying for (i.e. full time or part time). Include:
- A few short paragraphs about yourself.
- Why you want to work for us.
- Why you are right for the position.
- How long you’ve been using Scrivener and what you’ve been using it for.
- Which versions of Scrivener you use or have used (macOS, Windows, iOS).
- Whether you are most comfortable with macOS or Windows, and whether you have access to an iOS device.
(Don’t worry about being too formal, though - just be yourself.)
Also be sure to include an up-to-date copy of your CV / resumé.
If you are selected for the second round, we’ll send you some sample support questions. You’ll be expected to write replies and send them to us so that we can get a feel for how you will answer our customers’ questions.
Finally - thanks for reading this far, and for your interest in the position!
Deadline for Initial Applications: 21st November, 2019