We’re looking for one or more people to help us answer support questions.
You’ll be joining team L&L’s help and support staff, answering customer questions via our Tenderapp.com system and on the forums. All support is done online, so you won’t be expected to take phone calls, and to begin with you’ll mostly be dealing with fairly basic queries - re-sending people their serial numbers and such, to help free up our more experienced staff for the more difficult questions. The position is open to both full- and part-time applicants.
Sound interesting? Read on…
- It’s crucial to have a decent working knowledge of Scrivener - if you spend a lot of time on the forums answering random questions and sharing your knowledge for free, then this could be ideal for you! We don’t expect you to be an expert with detailed knowledge of every feature, but you will need to be able to answer basic questions about how to get around in and use Scrivener, and you’ll need to be good at looking up and finding out things as you need them. Other members of the team will be on hand to help you with the tough questions until you’re up to speed.
- Some knowledge of Scapple is a bonus, but not essential (because Scapple is very easy to learn and we do not receive as many support questions about it).
- You must have a high standard of written English. As a company that produces writing software, it’s important to us that all our communications with our customers give a good impression and are written in a professional manner.
- You must be comfortable using iOS and either macOS or Windows. If you’re familiar with, or at least have access to, both macOS *and* Windows computers, then that is a definite bonus.
- We’re definitely looking for someone we get on with - someone with a sense of humour and who doesn’t mind a bit of quirkiness from time to time. The ability to tolerate British spelling is a bonus.
- Because our offices and accountants are based in the UK, we are unable to employ anyone outside the UK. However, if you’re outside the UK and interested, you can still work for us on a contract basis - that is, you could work freelance and invoice us. If you’re in the UK, you would be on contract (freelance) for a three-month trial period, after which you would have the option of becoming an employee if you wish.
Hours & Pay
- Because the position is for basic support, we’ll be looking to pay an initial rate of $15 an hour. This will be reviewed yearly, and if you’re good we’ll definitely do what we can to keep you!
- If you work freelance, either because you are outside the UK or because you choose to work freelance instead of being an employee, you can of course be flexible about how many hours you take on and when you take them, but we are really looking for people who can commit at least 20 hours a week. If you’re on the UK and looking to be employed with us, then we can offer either part-time (20 hours per week) or full-time (40 hours per week) positions, depending on the applicants. Hours are flexible, but we would need you to log on and answer questions on an average of five days a week so that our users are not left waiting too long.
If you’re interested, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Support Staff Position”. Include:
- A few short paragraphs about yourself.
- Why you want to work for us.
- Why you are right for the position.
- How long you’ve been using Scrivener and what you’ve been using it for.
- Which versions of Scrivener you use or have used (macOS, Windows, iOS).
- Whether you are comfortable with macOS or Windows, and whether you have access to an iOS device.
(Don’t worry about being too formal, though - just be yourself.)
Also be sure to include an up-to-date copy of your CV / resumé.
If you seem as though you might fit the bill, we’ll send you three sample support questions. You’ll be expected to write replies and send them to us so that we can get a feel for how you will answer our customers’ questions.
Finally - thanks for reading this far, and for your interest in the position!
Deadline for Initial Applications: 18th February, 2018