When Oh When?

wb
wburkett
Platform: Windows

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:19 pm Post

Ever since I learned of the Scrivener 3.0 release for Mac, I've been patiently waiting for the Windows 3.0 version ... "coming in 2018". I see that last bit - "coming in 2018" - is no longer anywhere to be found. What is the status of this release? I'm patient but 2018 is drawing to a close. (I'm reluctant to install the beta ... mostly because it is a beta. ) Any news? Any expectation of a formal release any time soon?

thx - Bill

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:38 pm Post

TB
TBUA

Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:54 am Post

Ever since I started using the beta version I just can't go back to v2 :( ! Hopefully we won't be waiting for long.

Di
Dirtyfoucault

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:02 am Post

Very useful information. I’m in the market for a powerful writing tool for my non-fiction project. I’ve tried Scrivener and found it useful, if hardly the most delightful interface . But as a Windows user, I slightly resent the combination of being offered a patently inferior product whilst being asked to pay the same price as Mac users whilst waiting on trust for some unspecified v3 release date. Seeing how long this has been going on has led me to bite the bullet and pay a bit more for a competitor product. I don’t regret it. Surely a discounted price for Windows users is in order?

fi
fictionwriter

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:29 am Post

Dirtyfoucault wrote:Very useful information. I’m in the market for a powerful writing tool for my non-fiction project. I’ve tried Scrivener and found it useful, if hardly the most delightful interface . But as a Windows user, I slightly resent the combination of being offered a patently inferior product whilst being asked to pay the same price as Mac users whilst waiting on trust for some unspecified v3 release date. Seeing how long this has been going on has led me to bite the bullet and pay a bit more for a competitor product. I don’t regret it. Surely a discounted price for Windows users is in order?

I agree. Signed up a year ago and still no Windows 3.0.

st
steveshank

Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:16 pm Post

Surely a discounted price for Windows users is in order?

I think differently than you do. I look at a program and ask myself, is this worth the price to me? Will its value to me exceed the cost (and can I afford it)?

I really don't care if they plant trees in the arctic, or contribute to Mars research (or whatever), or have another product at another price.

I am shocked and amazed that the current product is as good as it is, it is amazing, and I think it is very inexpensive given what it does. I've been using it for a couple of years and continue to be pleased. Then, they are going to let me upgrade to version 3 for half price, even if I bought v1 two or three years ago. So it'll be half of the already low price.

Now I'm sure they don't like paying programmers for over a year and still not being satisfied with the product. All those costs and no income from the investment. It's taking longer than they wanted.

If V1 isn't worth the price given some discount or free upgrade to V3, then don't buy it. If they sell rocket ships or anything else to someone else makes no difference.

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:28 pm Post

Dirtyfoucault wrote:Surely a discounted price for Windows users is in order?

If you bought since they announced the release of version 3 for Mac (I forget the date, but it was last year), the discount will be 100%. Upgrades for people who purchased v1 before then will be about 40%, I think.

Seems reasonably discounted to me...
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:34 pm Post

Dirtyfoucault wrote:Seeing how long this has been going on has led me to bite the bullet and pay a bit more for a competitor product. I don’t regret it.

What competitor product did you purchase? (I've posed this question to other posters and they didn't respond, so I won't be surprised if you don't either.)

Dirtyfoucault wrote:Surely a discounted price for Windows users is in order?

You've moved on to a competitor's product, so how would a discount benefit you?

wb
wburkett

Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:33 pm Post

So basically the only response to "when?" is speculation based on user/customer experience - no official information from L&L. I appreciate the observations that the Win3 team is working hard and making progress on the beta, albeit slowly - that, at least, is somewhat encouraging.

I am patient, so I guess I'll continue to be patient. It is disappointing that "coming in 2018" isn't going to happen, though.