Do not count special formatted words/char

Hanami
Platform: Mac

Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:01 pm Post

Hi!
I am in the situation to writetexts with a certain amount of words for a publishing company. In the same text I have to write explanations/comments, which will be deleted in the final text, but it is necessary for the publisher.
It would be nice, if Scrivener could be take in account NOT to count words/char which are formated in special formats.

NB: The publisher do not accept comments etc. that are outside the original text. So, using comments, footnotes etc. is not an option.Therefore I have always to make a lot of annoying calculations.

Thanks!
Hanami

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:08 pm Post

There's a menu command that will transform inspector comments to inline annotations, and another to reverse that. You could therefore compose your text using inspector comments to track your word counts, and then before compiling, convert them to inline annotations.

The menu command on version 3 is in the Edit->Transformations menu. I'm not sure where it is in the previous version of Scrivener however, but I'm pretty sure it's there.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

Hanami

Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:57 am Post

Thank you for that hint.
It could help in certain situations. But I have to compile the text to a Word-doc. After compilation, unfortunately, the inline-comments are disappearing.
So still I wish to have a format that won`t count when counting words. :)

rdale wrote:There's a menu command that will transform inspector comments to inline annotations, and another to reverse that. You could therefore compose your text using inspector comments to track your word counts, and then before compiling, convert them to inline annotations.

The menu command on version 3 is in the Edit->Transformations menu. I'm not sure where it is in the previous version of Scrivener however, but I'm pretty sure it's there.

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:47 pm Post

If inline comments are being removed, check the tab to the right for the transformations section (there are 4 icons, choose the third one) when you bring up the compile dialogue. There's a check-box to disable/enable removal of comments and/or footnotes.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

Hanami

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:02 am Post

Thank you again. I found the checkbox.
But still there is a lot of clicking necessary, because - as far as I know and experienced - every single inline comment has to be transformed by itself. I cannot find a command like "transform all inline comments".
My suggestion was meant to make this process a little more comfortable.

rdale wrote:If inline comments are being removed, check the tab to the right for the transformations section (there are 4 icons, choose the third one) when you bring up the compile dialogue. There's a check-box to disable/enable removal of comments and/or footnotes.