Scrivener 3.1 is now available on our site and on the Mac App Store. Scrivener 3.1 is a free and recommended update for all registered users of Scrivener 3. It provides a number of major enhancements and many bug fixes, including the following:
- Full support for dark mode on macOS 10.14.
- Scrivener’s “Appearance” preferences allow you to take full control over colours and UI in each mode.
- Switch between dark and light mode independently of the system settings using the Scrivener > Appearance menu.
- Set up different colour themes for each mode via the Preferences, and switch between them using the Scrivener > Themes menu.
- Support for “MORE” and “CONT’D” when compiling for PDF and printing. (See new settings in the “Text Layout” area of the Compile format editor.)
- Support for not splitting sentences across pages in scripts.
- Dual dialogue support for print and PDF.
- You can now include a cover image when compiling to PDF.
- Enhanced options for compiling for print-on demand services, including an option for PDF files to use the PDF/X-3 format.
- Epub 3 and Kindle KF8 formats now allow for direct formatting. With these changes, the older ePub 2 and Kindle Mobi formats have been removed, and will only be available for Compile formats created in older versions that rely on them.
- Epub export now supports inline MathML equations generated by MathType.
- It is now much easier to edit section layouts: a pencil icon appears when you move the mouse over a section layout in the main Compile window. Simply click on it (or double-click the layout) to begin editing.
- Unused section types are now hidden by default in Compile’s “Assign Section Types”.
- Section Layouts in the Compile format editor are now displayed in bold if they are used in the project, making it easier to identify the layouts you are most interested in.
- Improvements have been made to footnotes in print and PDF, including several new options for how they are laid out.
Many, many other enhancements to Compile.
- A new “focus mode” is available via View > Text Editing > Focus. This allows you to fade out everything except the current line, sentence or paragraph as you write. The mode can be set independently for the main window and Compose.
WIDOWS AND ORPHANS
- Widow and orphan control now supported in Scrivener’s page view. (Off by default - use the “Editing” Preferences to turn it on.)
- Widow and orphan control now supported when compiling to PDF or for printing.
- Keep with Next has also been improved, and you can now determine whether the KWN paragraph itself can be split across pages or not.
A full list of changes can be found here:
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scriv ... s?os=macOS
To download Scrivener 3.1, follow the instructions below - please note that the instructions differ depending on whether you bought Scrivener directly from us or from the Mac App Store. If you have any problems, please don't hesitate to e-mail us at email@example.com for further assistance.
#### 1. HOW TO UPDATE IF YOU BOUGHT DIRECTLY FROM US ####
- Select "Check for Updates" from the "Scrivener" menu within Scrivener itself and follow the on-screen instructions;
- Go to http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener/download and click on the red "Download" button beneath "macOS" to download and re-install Scrivener.
If you have already seen the update notification and followed the on-screen instructions to update, you don't need to do anything else.
#### 2. HOW TO UPDATE IF YOU BOUGHT FROM THE MAC APP STORE ####
- Open up the Mac App Store.
- Click on the "Updates" button in the toolbar.
- You should see Scrivener listed with an "UPDATE" button next to it - click on the "UPDATE" button.
Note: at the time of writing, Scrivener 3.1 has passed through review and is officially "Ready for Sale", but it make take a few hours to appear in all App Stores. If you still only see Scrivener 3.03 and no "UPDATE" button, please wait a few hours and try again.
Thanks and all the best,