An Open Source Substitute for Scrivener

Do
DocAltMed
Platform: Linux

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:07 pm Post

I hope that L&L doesn't mind me posting this. I'm not affiliated with the author, and this software does not run on any of the platforms that Scrivener does.

But it does run on Linux, and it is an effective substitute for Scrivener that is native to Linux and open source.

It is called Manuskript. I have already written a non-fiction book using it, and am in the middle of a novel. It is not as complete as Scrivener, but it is a very nice piece of software, and I encourage those authors looking for a Scrivener substitute on Linux to give it a try.

http://www.theologeek.ch/manuskript/

Remember, as with any open source project, the more people that use it and support it, the better it will get. And it's already pretty good.

mc
mcd

Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:45 pm Post

DocAltMed wrote:I hope that L&L doesn't mind me posting this. I'm not affiliated with the author, and this software does not run on any of the platforms that Scrivener does.

But it does run on Linux, and it is an effective substitute for Scrivener that is native to Linux and open source.

There seem to be downloads for Windows and Mac. Even for the Linux versions there are lots of warnings that Manuskript is in flux and to back up often, so it's not exactly threatening Scrivener yet.