best option for running Scrivener on Mint 19?

Mi
Michelle_P78
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:14 pm Post

Hello,

I use Scrivener on Windows (plus IOS for occasional iPad use). I’m now switching my main operating system to Linux (Mint 19, XFCE). What would be my best (most stable and useable) option for running Scrivener - using the old Linux beta (if that’d work?), running the windows version under WINE, or installing the windows version into a Virtualbox? I’ll be setting up a Virtualbox for various Windows software I require for work, so could run Scrivener from there, if that’s the most reliable option - although I’d prefer to stay in the Linux environment as much as possible.

Thanks for any advice!

Michelle

zn
znmeb

Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:55 am Post

I haven't tried Scrivener, but in general, I've had poor results with Wine except for programs specifically hand-tuned to run under Wine. I'd suggest a virtual machine with Windows if you can do it.

garpu
Platform: Linux

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:19 am Post

Heh, I'll be the contrary voice. I'm using the windows version more often than the Linux one these days. I'm using wine-staging 3.18. I have no idea how well it runs on stock WINE or anything below that. (With WINE, you're really better off using the most recent version, since new fixes and developments are made all the time.) The stable version isn't best, in my experience.
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

theswede
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:57 am Post

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux! :)

I run Windows Scrivener on Wine. I have been doing so for many years now, with no problems. It is very stable, and has much less overhead than running a virtual machine. Stable Wine is fine for Scrivener, and also for lots of other productivity software. In some cases I find it more stable than a modern Windows, especially when running older Windows applications.

Just install Wine from the standard repo, it should work well enough. If you want you can add the Wine specific ppa with the stable release of Wine, but it will make very little difference. I use it because I am experimenting with bleeding edge features in other software, but Scrivener will run fine either way.

Good luck!

devinganger

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:44 pm Post

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but WINE is just OS emulation/linking/libraries, it's not going to adjust for differing architectures, correct?

I couldn't throw WINE on one of Raspberry Pi 3 devices and run Scrivener from there, I'm pretty sure. In fact, I'm not even sure WINE is ported to Raspbian...
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

garpu

Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:54 pm Post

devinganger wrote:I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but WINE is just OS emulation/linking/libraries, it's not going to adjust for differing architectures, correct?

I couldn't throw WINE on one of Raspberry Pi 3 devices and run Scrivener from there, I'm pretty sure. In fact, I'm not even sure WINE is ported to Raspbian...

You could if it's been ported to the Pi, yes. (There's an android port, for instance, but I haven't checked it out.) I'm not sure if you could cross compile it or not.

I guess people have done it already: https://eltechs.com/run-wine-on-raspberry-pi/ (Just the first linked I grabbed.)
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

theswede

Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:13 pm Post

devinganger wrote:I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but WINE is just OS emulation/linking/libraries, it's not going to adjust for differing architectures, correct?

Correct, you could not. Wine is an implementation of the Win32 and Win64 API's, as well as the DirectX API. It does not emulate anything (Wine stands for "Wine is not (an) emulator") and relies on the underlying CPU to run the actual binary.

This is how it achieves the speed it does (usually near-native, and in a few cases faster than Windows).

In order to run on a Pi or similar an actual emulator, like Qemu or similar, would need to be added. Some such approaches have been made, but none are very good yet.

devinganger

Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:48 am Post

theswede wrote:
devinganger wrote:I couldn't throw WINE on one of Raspberry Pi 3 devices and run Scrivener from there, I'm pretty sure. In fact, I'm not even sure WINE is ported to Raspbian...

Correct, you could not. Wine is an implementation of the Win32 and Win64 API's, as well as the DirectX API. It does not emulate anything (Wine stands for "Wine is not (an) emulator") and relies on the underlying CPU to run the actual binary.

theswede wrote:In order to run on a Pi or similar an actual emulator, like Qemu or similar, would need to be added. Some such approaches have been made, but none are very good yet.

So garpu linked to the ExaGear Desktop -- what's the problem with that, other than it not being free?

Some of the amateur radio community are using RPi3 devices to become instant hotspots and repeaters combined with a computer. Being able to run Windows programs (including Scrivener) would be a huge boon on that.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

Me
Mela

Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:43 am Post

I'm on Linux Mint, too.
I run Scrivener2 via PlayOnLinux quite stable.
Yet I tried to install Scrivener3 and had no luck by now.

Mela

Al
Alexo

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:32 am Post

Michelle_P78 wrote:Hello,

I use Scrivener on Windows (plus IOS for occasional iPad use). I’m now switching my main operating system to Linux (Mint 19, XFCE). What would be my best (most stable and useable) option for running Scrivener - using the old Linux beta (if that’d work?), running the windows version under WINE, or installing the windows version into a Virtualbox? I’ll be setting up a Virtualbox for various Windows software I require for work, so could run Scrivener from there, if that’s the most reliable option - although I’d prefer to stay in the Linux environment as much as possible.

Thanks for any advice!

Michelle

Hi Michelle,
I use Scrivener for linux on a Mint 19 Xfce and on Debian 9 Mate. I repacked the beta version and it is working smooth. <https://www.literatureandlatte.com/web/forum/viewtopic.php?p=279117#p279117>.
I tried the Win version on a VM and I still prefer de linux version.

rw
rwfranz
Platform: Windows

Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:01 am Post

Mela wrote:I'm on Linux Mint, too.
I run Scrivener2 via PlayOnLinux quite stable.
Yet I tried to install Scrivener3 and had no luck by now.

I can run the current Beta on Kubuntu 17.10 under Wine, and it does have a couple of issues:

* input stops working correctly after a while (typing activates menus, like the alt key is being held down).
* the program is slow to respond. Mind you, the Beta 2.9.0.10 is sluggish under Windows 10, too, so this is not surprising.

But it does run.