How to come up names to your characters?

NsKu
Platform: Windows

Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:57 am Post

Simple question but is there a easy answer to it? Hopefully so.

I have this problem about character names. Nothing fits that's the usual problem for me. Am I too strict? :shock:
I may know exactly how this character speaks, walks, moves. How they dress etc. but I cant fit the name to those images.
So if there's some trick to overcome this please tell me. Or if you have good tips.

And can there be too stupid and unbelievable names?!

Ah
Ahab

Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:58 am Post

It depends on what you're writing. Your Avatar seems to indicate fantasy-type stuff? If there's some kind of mythological connection, then research historical names--Irish gods and goddesses, Japanese mythology, whatever seems appropriate it. If you work in the real world, or in its historical antecedents, then a stroll through a period-appropriate graveyard often provides ideas, harvesting a good last name here, a good first name there, and combining them in ways that seem like the sort of name your character might comfortably wear.

auxbuss
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:02 pm Post

I suspect everyone does this differently, so hopefully you’ll get an assortment of replies.

The “fit” of character names is important to me too. Sometimes, I don’t know whether a name is going to work out until late in the story. So, I pick one, then move on. It’s not worth getting blocked by it. That would be a problem. I listen to my inner voice on this, because sometimes the annoyance isn’t glaring; just a niggle.

Short names work best for me – the same when I’m reading. I avoid surnames unless the story requires them, which immediately halves the problem \o/

In my writing notes, I have a section where I same names that I see or pop into my head, so I’ve a pool of names to rummage around in as a starting point at any time.

Finally, there are a few websites that might help. Randomly:

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:24 pm Post

And no one mentions:

Screenshot 2018-10-13 13.12.32.png
Screenshot 2018-10-13 13.12.32.png (412.13 KiB) Viewed 108 times

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.01, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

NsKu
Platform: Windows

Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:10 pm Post

auxbuss wrote:I suspect everyone does this differently, so hopefully you’ll get an assortment of replies.

The “fit” of character names is important to me too. Sometimes, I don’t know whether a name is going to work out until late in the story. So, I pick one, then move on. It’s not worth getting blocked by it. That would be a problem. I listen to my inner voice on this, because sometimes the annoyance isn’t glaring; just a niggle.

Short names work best for me – the same when I’m reading. I avoid surnames unless the story requires them, which immediately halves the problem \o/

In my writing notes, I have a section where I same names that I see or pop into my head, so I’ve a pool of names to rummage around in as a starting point at any time.

Finally, there are a few websites that might help. Randomly:

First thank you for all.. this has been really helpfull :idea: I just realize that I just needed name that is unisex and I have found it. :idea:

I'm writing historical fantasy story. And my main character has past and present life. They are like day and night and that has given me a problem. When past life is very typical feminine type and other is like survivor more manly world. So two different personalities in same character.

Thank you :D

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:16 am Post

I have a somewhat related problem -- I can't finish fleshing my characters out until I know their name. The name gives me the base direction to go searching for the rest of their personality.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot