Am I a Writer?

NsKu
Platform: Windows

Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:06 pm Post

Hi everybody

I'm really shining new here or everywhere. I stumbled in here when I was looking for a good writing program. Have been testing scrivener now couple days.
I just finished my "book".. well, a sea adventure story 390 pages on paper back form. It still needs going thru's so I don't think you can call it a book just yet.
I have written earlier one poem book and self published it. Just a small batch of books. So can I call myself a writer?
I have never wrote anything this long that I 'm now working. So I hope scrivener will be a big help for me now.
If you spell it right, it must be right even its wrong

Ca
Carly Swinson

Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:33 am Post

Hi NsKu, good to see you here. i am new here too. Hopefully i will learn some good tips about professional writing here because i am a novice and still trying to finish my first novel which i started some years back. Its a fantasy/adventure novel . The main inspiration for me to start writing was J.K.Rowling J.R.R.Tolkien.

NsKu

Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:24 pm Post

Hello Carly Swinson

Im here exactly that too. Its good to hear voices outside your own world when you are writing. Biggest question for me is how do I know if Im good enough.

Ou
Outstandingrush
Platform: Mac

Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:44 am Post

I guess that when you start your write down a very first word - you are writer. The question is how good you are?
Anyway, don't focus on that and do what you love.

Found this article, maybe it would inspire you
hongkiat.com/blog/signs-you-are-a-writer/
When teacher told me to write an essay on biology I have made a story about Mutant flower which were conquering next door gardens. Hate bore

NsKu

Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:50 pm Post

Outstandingrush wrote:I guess that when you start your write down a very first word - you are writer. The question is how good you are?
Anyway, don't focus on that and do what you love.

Found this article, maybe it would inspire you
hongkiat.com/blog/signs-you-are-a-writer/

That was interesting article. I have always thought to be a more a reader than writer. I have written poems, but a book is different. I have to say I have enjoyed writing as much reading a book. And its sounds weird, because its my story. So do I sound too self-absorbed?
Is it normal to be so in your own story when you write that you actually laugh, cry or feel some other feelings that is going on your characters? Because that is the readers prerogative, but is it a writers?
Is it alright to feel sad when you get your story finished?

auxbuss
Platform: Mac

Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:31 pm Post

To avoid adding caveats: Everyone writes differently. These are my views.
NsKu wrote:Is it normal to be so in your own story when you write that you actually laugh, cry or feel some other feelings that is going on your characters?

It's not only normal to feel the emotions of what you are writing, I'd say something is not working if you don't.
NsKu wrote:Because that is the reader's prerogative, but is it a writer's?

There's a distinction to be made between the writer and the narrator (even if you're not narrating). In a way, as the author, you are fulfilling two roles, at least. At times, as the writer, you might be experiencing sorrow, whereas as the narrator you might be feeling joy, simultaneously.

Personally, I don't consider the reader while writing. How can I? I've no idea who they are. So, to do so would be a mighty distraction. (This applies to fiction, of course, it's completely different for non-fiction.)