Lagging in Full-Screen Mode after Mojave

fo
fornwalt42
Platform: Mac

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:02 am Post

Hello!

So, I just updated to Mojave, which might not have been the wisest move just yet. :/ Scrivener is lagging, just a bit in the normal view, and a lot in the full-screen mode. I changed the autosave from every 2 seconds to every 15, rebooted my computer and Scrivener, but so far, it's still lagging.

Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions on how to fix it? :(

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:08 am Post

I don’t have any issues here, and I’m using a fairly old Mac (2012), so I’d probably spot in generalised performance issues with it. I’d make an effort to simplify the editing view as much as possible. Remove all peripheral elements like the ruler, line numbering and so forth. Turn off any dynamic features like invisible characters, spelling and grammar check, and finally anything else that might complicate rendering by adding extra processing time to everything you do, such as page view and editor zoom levels. The idea then is that if performance improves, to turn your desired features back on one by one, and check for lag as you do so.

Sometimes the easiest way to do all of the above is to create a new blank project, turn off the few things you need to, and then copy and paste some material from your main project into it, to test with. That way you don’t disturb your project settings.

If none of that helps with the source material you’re working with, then see if something in there is the problem. Do you have hundreds of footnotes in the editor? Lots of graphics (or a few massive ones)? Etc. Does this happen with 5,000 words of pretty plain text?
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

fo
fornwalt42

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:23 pm Post

As far as projects go, this one's pretty sparse. A few documents of plotting notes, but I'm a pantser, so the bulk of the content is the actual novel, which is only about 15k right now. I have like, one picture, but it's not huge. And it didn't make a difference before Mojave. :(

I'm just frustrated because nothing else changed on my laptop, and all my other apps are running fine. I don't use the ruler or anything in full-screen mode. It's just a picture of flowers in the background, then my document. Nothing I alter in Scrivener seems to make a difference...

fo
fornwalt42

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:25 pm Post

I just created a new project that's totally empty, and it's still lagging when I type in full-screen mode. :(

tb
tbrown313

Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:04 pm Post

Just to be sure: Does the lagging only occur in Scrivener? Or do you see it elsewhere?

I have a 2018 iMac with fusion drive and upgraded to Mojave. For a few days (maybe 2-4?) after the upgrade, I got serious lagging on typing, but it was not consistent, but random, and happened in all applications. I suspect it was the result of one of the issues with the upgrade that are discussed here:

https://eclecticlight.co/2018/10/12/moj ... -molasses/

After than initial period, I have had no problems with lagging in Mojave.
Terry Brown

kewms

Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:00 pm Post

Which version of Scrivener do you have? -- Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

fo
fornwalt42

Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:43 am Post

It's just in Scrivener that I've seen. I moved my novel to Word for the time being, and have had no problems there, or with my emails, Chrome, excel, Slack, etc. :(

I'm using Scrivener V 3.0.3...

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:53 am Post

When you say there is a picture in the background in “full-screen mode”, do you mean the Composition Mode backdrop, set in Project Settings, or some place else? Have you tried resetting preferences yet?

I understand 10.14 is the only thing that has changed, but that can represent quite a lot, under the hood. That’s a bit like saying that the only thing that changed about the plant is the house it is in! :) For programs like Scrivener that are built directly on Mac technology, it can fluctuate when a major upgrade comes out. It’s an ongoing process tracking down the thousands of different ways Scrivener gets used.

We’ll have a 10.14 compatibility update out soon, so if you would prefer to just wait and see, you can do that. Otherwise here are some of the steps I take when running into issues after a major OS upgrade.

⠂─────── ⟢⟡⟣ ─────── ⠂

• First I get the software in question back to a factory default state. Who’s to say if a setting I use is at fault or not, but leaving all of those intact is hundreds of variables that cloud the issue. If nobody else is having lagging issues in 10.14, it stands to reason that the factory default settings should in theory be fine. We can’t say that with any certainty for any other single checkbox being changed. Reseting the preference file is the best way to do this.
  • For lag and performance issues, I start by launching Activity Monitor and Console, switching the former to CPU tracking and the latter to Errors and Faults mode. Are any process consuming more resources than seems reasonable? Are these spikes in usage accompanied by a lot of errors? Are there hundreds of errors rolling by every second?

For example I have a tool that makes my trackpad, mouse and keyboard much more configurable. After installing 10.14 everything was awful. Half of my clicks wouldn’t register, everything was slow. I checked these two tools and found this utility was repeated crashing and restarting in an infinite loop of malfunction, and every time it crashed it was seizing up input—that’s why half the time when I clicked nothing happened, because I clicked while it was crashing. I shut that down and removed it from the auto-run-on-login list and suddenly I felt like I had a new Mac. I updated the utility, reinstalled it, and all was fine.
  • Basic maintenance. An OS update disturbs millions of files on your disk. Run Onyx or Maintenance, let disk checking run, clear all caches and databases, and reboot. Note everything will be a little slower than usual after doing this for a while, as it rebuilds indexes and caches.
  • If that doesn’t work, I create a new Mac account and run my tests there. Is the problematic software doing fine? If so I go back to my main account and strip out all of the background software that automatically loads on login. No Dropbox, nothing. I switch them back on one by one, and before doing so I check each utility for updates. I give it about a half hour before going on to test the next.
  • Of course if even logging out and back in with no software running but Scrivener and Finder, and it’s still slow, then I start considering an account swap. It’s something I find necessary every other OS update—a clean start for your user folder. If you just click “upgrade” year after year, a lot of junk builds up—I’d say a good 90% of the performance and stability issues I’ve personally experienced on my Mac are down to some manner of grit in the gears, so to speak. Moving your important document files over to the new account, and only gradually copying over settings if you’re comfortable with that, is a pretty easy way to get a fresh start.

I moved my novel to Word for the time being, and have had no problems there, or with my emails, Chrome, excel, Slack, etc.

Most of these programs, it is worth noting, are not true Mac software. Some have whole programming environments ported over from other operating systems, 100% bespoke interfaces like Chrome, or not even really software in the traditional sense, but fancy web pages running in a stripped down web viewer like Slack. I don’t mean this in a “no true scotsman” kind of way to be clear, I just mean: these kinds of things cannot be used as a reference point for whether or not Scrivener should work flawlessly.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Silverdragon
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:31 pm Post

A bit off-topic, but---

AmberV wrote:...Of course if even logging out and back in with no software running but Scrivener and Finder, and it’s still slow, then I start considering an account swap. It’s something I find necessary every other OS update—a clean start for your user folder. If you just click “upgrade” year after year, a lot of junk builds up—I’d say a good 90% of the performance and stability issues I’ve personally experienced on my Mac are down to some manner of grit in the gears, so to speak. Moving your important document files over to the new account, and only gradually copying over settings if you’re comfortable with that, is a pretty easy way to get a fresh start. ...

Gems like this are why I lurk on these forums! I had never considered an account swap as a less-intense cleanup step before the nuclear option (backup, reformat, clean install)---and, boy, does my Mac need this! I haven't had a new account since I did my first OSX installation, (mumble) years ago, and that was... 2 macs ago? Three? I just keep using the automatic transfer from my old Mac, & the usual upgrade paths. I will definitely do this when I upgrade to Mojave. Thanks!
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I'm a user, not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.0.3, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.1.5, iPhone 6s, iPad Air 2, iOS 12.0