Footnotes not compiling to ODT format

ja
jamesl
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:11 pm
Platform: Mac

Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:16 pm Post

Hi all,

My footnotes are not properly compiling to ODT format. In ODT format, the footnotes show up directly inline with no separation in ODT. They are properly formatted as footnotes (in the footer) in PDF, RDT, and other file formats. This also does not change even if I enable inline/inspector footnotes to endnotes.

I just upgraded from Scrivener 2 to 3.0.3 (latest version), and this occurred right away. It was working fine for me on the same project with Scrivener 2. ODT is really important since I use Scrivener with Zotero, and Zotero is only able to process ODT files. Converting from RTF doesn't work either as it loses the proper footnote formatting when you convert from RTF-> ODT.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can't find a fix, I'll unfortunately need to downgrade back to Scrivener 2 even though I just paid for the upgrade to 3.

ja
jamesl
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:11 pm
Platform: Mac

Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:31 am Post

Removed
Last edited by jamesl on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 20496
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:53 am Post

I can't reproduce this problem. I just tried exporting to ODT, opened the file in LibreOffice, and the footnotes were all there at the bottom of the pages as expected. Some things to check:

1. Make sure you are exporting "OpenOffice (.odt)" and not to "MultiMarkdown → OpenOffice (.odt)".

2. What app are you opening the file in?

3. What Compile Format are you using? There are some formats, such as APA, which places footnotes at the end of the text instead of at the bottom of the page.

4. In Preferences > Sharing > Conversion, ensure that "Use enhanced converters" is ticked" (it should be unless you have explicitly changed it though).

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ja
jamesl
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:11 pm
Platform: Mac

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:20 am Post

KB wrote:I can't reproduce this problem. I just tried exporting to ODT, opened the file in LibreOffice, and the footnotes were all there at the bottom of the pages as expected. Some things to check:

1. Make sure you are exporting "OpenOffice (.odt)" and not to "MultiMarkdown → OpenOffice (.odt)".

2. What app are you opening the file in?

3. What Compile Format are you using? There are some formats, such as APA, which places footnotes at the end of the text instead of at the bottom of the page.

4. In Preferences > Sharing > Conversion, ensure that "Use enhanced converters" is ticked" (it should be unless you have explicitly changed it though).

All the best,
Keith


1. I am not using MultiMarkdown
2. LibreOffice, which ought to be the native application for ODT. I'm fairly sure it's not an application problem since it opens other ODT files generated from Scrivener 2.5 without issue.
3. I'm using a Chicago Essay project format, but it's not a compile format issue. I've noted above that footnotes display properly using the same format settings except exported to RTF, PDF, or DOC. The way the footnotes are displayed in ODT is clearly a compile error -- it does not resemble intentional formatting.
4. I did not explicitly change this, and I just double checked and Enhanced Converters is checked.

I would be happy to attach screenshots, or perhaps send over any logging data or a sample project.

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 20496
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:27 am Post

If you could zip up and attach a sample project that demonstrates the issue, that would be really helpful, since I'm not able to replicate the issue my end.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ja
jamesl
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:11 pm
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:43 am Post

KB wrote:If you could zip up and attach a sample project that demonstrates the issue, that would be really helpful, since I'm not able to replicate the issue my end.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith


Thanks, Keith. I just sent a sample project to the mac.support@literatureandlatte.com email address.

User avatar
KB
Site Admin
Posts: 20496
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm
Platform: Mac
Location: Truro, Cornwall
Contact:

Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:36 pm Post

Thanks. I've reproduced the issue and it seems to be down to a bug in the third-party converter we use which has been fixed in the updated version that will be embedded in 3.1.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

ja
jamesl
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:11 pm
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:33 pm Post

KB wrote:Thanks. I've reproduced the issue and it seems to be down to a bug in the third-party converter we use which has been fixed in the updated version that will be embedded in 3.1.

All the best,
Keith

Thank you!