Placeholder in compiled PDF has wrong font

da
dayofthedave
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:08 am Post

I just updated from Scrivener 2 to Scrivener 3, and I imported all my compile presets.

For my PDF preset, I am using the <$t> placeholder in the Section Layout for my chapter titles, and for some reason it compiles in the Lucida Grande font instead of inheriting the same font as the surrounding text.

I suspect that this is due to the weird font that I am using, although this was not an issue in Scrivener 2.
Attachments
Settings.png
Compile settings
Settings.png (86.37 KiB) Viewed 522 times
Result.png
Result in compiled PDF
Result.png (150.25 KiB) Viewed 522 times

Jo
JoRo
Platform: Mac

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:46 am Post

What does the formatting tab show? Does the preview have the right font applied to "One" / the placeholder tag? And if you try compiling to Word or RTF or PDF using a built-in format, does the font compile correctly or not?

Slàinte mhòr.

da
dayofthedave

Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:47 pm Post

Thanks for the quick response! I forgot to check the notify option, so I didn't realize you had replied.

The preview on the Formatting tab shows the chapter number in the correct font, as does the preview in the Section Layouts panel. (Screenshots attached)

The font issue also shows up in my Web Page format, which wraps the chapter number in a span with this CSS...

Code: Select all

span.s6 {font: 14.0px 'Lucida Grande'}

...creating the same basic effect.

My EPUB2 format wraps the chapter number in a span with this CSS...

Code: Select all

span.s1 {font-size: 117%}

...which causes the chapter number to have the correct font, but slightly larger than it should be.

I'm not sure what you meant by compiling with a "built-in" format. All of the options I see under "Scrivener Formats" appear to override layouts with their own fonts.
Attachments
PDF Section Layouts panel preview.png
PDF Section Layouts panel preview.png (109.02 KiB) Viewed 408 times
PDF Formatting panel preview.png
PDF Formatting panel preview.png (87.8 KiB) Viewed 410 times

KB
Site Admin

Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:37 pm Post

Hi,

What's the font you are using there? I'd like to try to reproduce the issue.

Thanks,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

da
dayofthedave

Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:08 pm Post

The font is Lumos.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:43 am Post

Thanks. I've looked into this and the problem is that the Lumos font does not contain any symbols, so the "<" in the <$t> tag you are using for chapter numbering ends up using the system font, and that becomes the font of the entire replacement. I have added some code to work around this in title prefixes and suffixes for the next update, so that your titles will look fine, but in general I would recommend using a more comprehensive font.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

da
dayofthedave

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:48 pm Post

Thanks!