Mac Preferences keyboard shortcuts vs Scrivener keyboard shortcuts

er
eric1954
Platform: Mac

Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:58 am Post

I'm using Scrivener to build web page copy. That requires loads of repeated formatting, hence the need for keyboard shortcuts.

While the addition of keyboard shortcuts to Scrivener is welcome, there are only nine. My most basic set of formatting shortcuts is 13. My expanded set has 8 more, for a total of 21.

The alternative is what I did using Scrivener 2: add keyboard shortcuts to Mac Preferences. That worked perfectly.

However, following the advice in the Upgrade Guide, I decided to go for a clean slate rather than import the old Preferences from v2. Of course, the old Mac shortcuts no longer worked, so I deleted them all and rebuilt them for v3.

They don't work. Perhaps the Mac Preferences have a ghost in there that prevents the new shortcuts from accessing v3.

An additional issue is that I could get Mac Preference keyboard shortcuts to paste in characters. Scrivener keyboard shortcuts call Styles only. For example, I have a standard indented bullet used hundreds of times. On Mac, I created a shortcut that included the bullet, along with character and paragraph formatting. As far as I can determine from Scrivener, I have to choose the bullet from the menu, then apply the Style. Two steps instead of one.

So, it seems I need to go back to Mac Preferences shortcuts. But how to make them work?

NOTE: I had this as a private support ticket, but, apart from the auto-reply, got no response in a week. Now the post seems to have vanished from the forums altogether.

Thanks for the help!

Jo
JoRo

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:53 am Post

For me, macOS keyboard shortcuts work fine.

Do you still have Scrivener 2 installed on your Mac, as well as Scrivener 3?

If yes, it might be that the new shortcuts are only referencing the old Scrivener 2 installation.

Slàinte mhòr.

Keyboard Shortcuts.jpg
Keyboard Shortcuts.jpg (164.49 KiB) Viewed 890 times

er
eric1954

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:35 am Post

No. I deleted Scrivener 2.

That's why I'm wondering if there's some plist or other phantom file left over from v2.

Jo
JoRo

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:46 pm Post

Okay. I did have some misnaming conflicts when I ran both versions for a short while, so good to get that possibility out of the way.

Could you share a screenshot showing a shortcut that isn't working?

I believe 2 and 3 don't share any plists, but hopefully someone from L&L will be able to confirm that. I wonder, as it is handled at a system level, if a reboot or a reset of PRAM might help. Do the shortcuts work in another user account?

Slàinte mhòr.

er
eric1954

Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:42 am Post

I've attached a screen shot of the Preferences list of Application shortcuts for Scrivener. None of them work.

I'd already done a reboot, but did it a second time to no avail. So I then zapped the PRAM. No luck there either.

As for phantom files... I don't know where the L&L support people are. I contacted them directly 8 days ago and have not heard back except the auto-reply acknowledging that they'd received the mail.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 08.23.04.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 08.23.04.jpg (80.95 KiB) Viewed 823 times

Jo
JoRo

Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:33 am Post

Custom keyboard shortcuts work for existing menu items. Heading 1 and Heading 2 are in the Styles Panel. Have you created named styles for all your other items? If yes, this advice from the developer should apply in your case:

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/foru ... 52#p269452

I created a style called Red Font and gave it a shortcut in System Preferences. It works, showing up in the styles menu.

Styles Panel.jpg
Styles Panel.jpg (49.7 KiB) Viewed 810 times

Red Font Shortcut.jpg
Red Font Shortcut.jpg (168.84 KiB) Viewed 810 times

Styles Menu.jpg
Styles Menu.jpg (183.36 KiB) Viewed 810 times

So long as you have (1) created the various styles and (2) not got a conflict in terms of the key combinations used, your shortcuts should work. Are your styles listed in the styles menu, as shown above?

With regard to L&L replying, do you filter your mail? Anything from them in a filtered / spam folder?

Slàinte mhòr.

er
eric1954

Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:46 am Post

Hi JoRo,

Thanks for the fast turnaround.

1. I created named Styles for all the shortcuts and they all appear in the Styles menu.

1.1 Type 1: Using Redefine Style From Selection, I edited some existing Scrivener Styles (Heading 1, Heading 2...)
1.2 Type 2: Using New Style From Selection, I created new Styles. Some of these (Bullet 1, Bullet 2...) included a character as well as character and paragraph formats.

All the Styles appear in the menu and all of the Type 1 work when selected from there. So, it's the shortcuts themselves that don't work.

The Type 2 Styles that include a character DO NOT reproduce the character. However, Keith explained here how to create a Mac Preferences shortcut for a standard bullet: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/foru ... hp?t=51936 ... I created it, but (of course) the shortcut still doesn't work.

2. I don't believe I have any shortcut conflicts. For example, the shortcut for Bullet 1 etc. are the exact same as used successfully with Scrivener 2. These were deleted from the Mac Preferences and rebuilt for Scrivener 3.

3. I located the correspondence with L&L. Sure enough, after 8 days there's no contributions in there except mine. I sent another message today and again got the auto-responder. I hope someone pays attention. During an intense week of composition and editing, I've been slowed down by manual formatting.

eric

Jo
JoRo

Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:02 am Post

Hello eric.

I can see how this must be very frustrating for you. Out of curiosity, if you create a shortcut for a standard menu item (such as the one in my first post for "Show Titles in Scrivenings") does that work? Trying to figure out if this is an issue limited to styles or to the whole of the Scrivener interface.

And do the shortcuts fail to work in all projects or in one project only? (I assume all projects.) Have you tried a different user account as a test?

Hope someone smarter than me can come up with a solution.

Slàinte mhòr.

er
eric1954

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:33 pm Post

Hi JoRo,

Good test suggestions!

I created a shortcut for the standard menu item "Corkboard Only". It didn't work, so it seems that the problem is with the entirety of Scrivener, not just Styles or Formats.

I tried the shortcuts on a different project. Still no result.

I don't have another user account to try that test.

On the upside, L&L got back to me with a detailed response. The main suggestion was to try a full path in the menu ("Format->Style->Font Red. Alas... that didn't work either.

eric

Jo
JoRo

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:41 pm Post

Hi eric.

Do shortcuts for other apps work? For example, if you create a custom shortcut for a TextEdit menu command, does it work? That would help to see if the problem is with the OS or just with Scrivener.

If you wanted to, you could create another user account, test the issue, and then delete the account to recover space.

We really need KB or Ioa to look at this. Hope they read the thread.

Slàinte mhòr.

Jo
JoRo

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:04 pm Post

Do regular shortcuts work, such as CMD F to open the Find panel or CTRL S to open the Styles panel? (If CMD F works but CTRL S doesn't, perhaps your CTRL key has an issue ... all of your custom shortcuts use CTRL.)

Slàinte mhòr.

er
eric1954

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:19 pm Post

Hello JoRo,

Both CMD-F and CTL-S work.

I created a new shortcut for MS Word. It worked.

Styles shortcuts entered into Scrivener's own 9 item shortcut list also work.

The problem seems to be narrowed to Mac Preferences custom shortcuts in Scrivener alone.

loa is now working on this issue too... discovered it through our thread, then found my earlier private mails. No working solution just yet.

eric

Jo
JoRo

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:36 pm Post

Hello eric.

Some good, I think, diagnostic steps at least.

Ioa is super smart. Hope he can find a solution for you. Please share, if he does: good to learn.

Slàinte mhòr.

de
derick

Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:01 pm Post

o/t but @JoRo how are you finding the Mojave beta? screenshots are gorgeous

Jo
JoRo

Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:43 pm Post

Biggest aesthetic change is dark mode. Expected to hate it, but it has grown on me, and I now prefer it.

There have been a few niggles along the way, but the last couple of betas have been very good, save for a little stuttering with videos in Safari. The revamped screenshot tools work well, and speed and stability have been increasingly impressive: better than High Sierra. It's an iterative OS, yet just about different enough to make High Sierra feel a little behind the times.

The ported iOS apps (News, Stocks, and Voice Memos) don't bring a great deal to the party, particularly for me in relation to the News app as I don't follow news events, other than picking up tidbits from family and friends. I have tried News. It was very flaky in the early builds, although it is now far more usable for those who are so inclined. A lot of content leaks back out to Safari, so it feels rather bitty to me.

Scrivener has run well throughout, and I am looking forward to seeing Scrivener cloaked in charcoal and black hues.

All in, a good step forward, with more to come.

Slàinte mhòr.