You OK, Jaysen?

garpu
Platform: Linux

Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:30 pm Post

Heard y'all are getting some weather down there. Still there? Floated away? Already consumed your beer and hurricane snack stash?
Slackware 64-bit 14.2, XFCE

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:37 pm Post

Nothing for my house. Not much for the apartment. Be very careful with believing the weather hype. In the last 4yrs I've come to the conclusion (and i'm very serious) that most of the hype is all about controlling money. They generate panic that drives folks to spend on inflated prices. They use "state of emergency" and "mandatory evacuation" to force businesses to close. The real impact of most of these events is the loss of income and saving (or debt accumulation) to the working poor and middle class.

I'm not saying there aren't real dangers, but they are hyping the dangers way to early and forcing governments to force situations too far in advance. The next major storm will have real loss of life as most folks are to the point of ignoring the declarations at this point.

Which is the long way of saying... I'm doing GREAT! Hoping to enjoy some sailing this weekend (there should be plenty of wind) and maybe some fishing. Thanks for asking.
Last edited by Jaysen on Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:00 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:I'm? saying there aren't real dangers,
Just so Scriv's crew aren't wondering wot planet y're on, I'll just interject here for a moment, and point out for the benefit of those not familiar with your alien's keyboard, that you probably meant to type "I'm *NOT* saying there aren't real dangers."
Apart from that, the last I heard, the combined length of both Carolinas' seaboard was under threat. You'll just have t' post some piccies of you, in situ. :shock:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jaysen

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:39 pm Post

Fixed it for you Mr K. Fixed it. I'd love to get some pics for you. Please hold....
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

Jaysen

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:04 pm Post

Last night... Image

today with a bit of wind (only 22mph or 19kn) ... Image

3' rollers on high isn't a big deal here. I would put this as a bit tricker if your in a 12' rowable sail boat (what I go out in). But still not too bad. You'll notice a distinct lack of flood or rain.

Kind of boring here actually. Not even any branches to cut up with a saw...
Jaysen

vic-k

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:09 pm Post

Woahhh!! Makes y' wanna go skinny-dippin' :D
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jaysen

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:50 pm Post

This is what I normally I use to explore the waterways...

I've had her our in 20kn (25mph) wind and 2ft chop. It was ... educational. I'm not afraid to go out there in conditions like that lunch time pic, but I don' t have a safe launch point right now. At some point I need to get out there in a real blow just to learn how to handle the conditions. But for now... Lil Bit (the boat) is under lock and key to keep me off the water.
Jaysen

vic-k

Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:52 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:This is what I normally I use to explore the waterways...

I've had her our in 20kn (25mph) wind and 2ft chop. It was ... educational. I'm not afraid to go out there in conditions like that lunch time pic, but I don' t have a safe launch point right now. At some point I need to get out there in a real blow just to learn how to handle the conditions. But for now... Lil Bit (the boat) is under lock and key to keep me off the water.

I can just see you hanging over the side, muttering "HO! HO! and a bottle of Rum!"

to keep me off the water
I take it you're referring to the saline solution, and not the Holy Distillations!! :shock:

Jaysen

Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:59 pm Post

Yes. To both assumptions. I’ve been chastised for “boating under the influence” but by SC law I’m EXEMPTED as an undersized unpowered craft. Rum WAS involved. And the boss lady was all “I m ow you’re stupid and don’t mind milking yourself, but you need to finish fixing the house, your car, and those things at work before you go off and act stupid... again”.

So water water. H2O. The distillations all still fair game.
Jaysen

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:22 am Post

It looks like a pretty severe storm to me!
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Jaysen

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:07 pm Post

Don’t get me wrong. If you were right in the eye or in the mantel off shore (frying pan tower for example) it wasn’t pleasant. At this point it’s no worse that the daily storms most southern coasts here. Just longer.

We are going to see if we can get into Charleston today. Nothing actually happening there and I’m tired of the shared accommodation here. Should be interesting.
Jaysen

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:16 pm Post

I was more amused by the people casually strolling around behind the weather forecaster, who was lurching and cowering against the storm! Reminds of that time they put the news anchor in a boat, and someone walked into the frame and you could see it was a puddle they were sitting in.

Doesn't mean the storm didn't happen, but as you say, they do tend to ham it up a bit.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

vic-k

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:04 pm Post

AmberV wrote:.... but as you say, they do tend to ham it up a bit.
WOT! :shock: A BIT?!!!

Jaysen

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:39 pm Post

I believe they use Mr K as a screen writer. But they have the decency to self censor some of the ham.
Jaysen

vic-k

Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:59 pm Post

Ain't no hamming up with these poor souls :(
https://www.theguardian.com/weather/201 ... toll-rises